Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SOTC(state of the collection) thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

893bet wrote: »
    A covid year in watch collecting is 10 years normally. Your level of buying and selling in the last 12 months has been a whirlwind.

Nothing else to do 893bet...work all week and dream about watches all evening. They are honestly keeping me sane. I made a mistake with the pepsi..thought is was something it was not and had to get out quick, The Darkside niggles at me a bit, think a rebuy in time maybe.
    Easy flip a Rolex sub for a dog**** oyster perpetual and back and forth.

But there is more to come!

That's a very weird trade, you would want to be mental to swap a Sub for a OP unless you were getting the OP retail and had some dislike for the sub. You would want rocks in your head as AC3 says.

Yes backing myself into corners now, no easy trades. Upgrade the VC maybe to a precious model. Not to be a copycat by ALS is appealing also.

Dont want to comment on the Patek in the honeymoon phase, but so far so good. But one Patek is enough. A yellow gold or rose gold watch is next, the other bases are covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Easy flip a Rolex sub for a dog**** oyster perpetual and back and forth.

It may be not be as expensive as your watches but dog**** it ain’t .

Ne9Xo73.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

scwazrh wrote: »

Nice watch and pure daaaaycent tackies kid :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

scwazrh wrote: »

[/IMG]

Ah the 114300 is without peer in the OP world. I had that exact version myself and it’s one of the few watches I truely sorry I sold. Sold it to a boardie. Tried but it back recently but no dice. Must try again.

I was more referring to the current OP on the rainbow colours. You would want to be soft in the head to pay grey prices on that. But fools and their money....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

Thats a serious collection. Fair play for building it, I'm sure youve worked damn hard to get there. Its hard even know where to go from there ..... except its not. Get a precious metal Lange to add to the holy trinity. It kind of covers the precious metal hole you have and having those four would be bloody amazing.

I'm sad to see you got rid of the master control. That's one of my favourites and was offering something different to the rest of your collection. If I was you I'd cash out of both Rolex. What's the point of having them at this stage, you have next level sports watches. The opportunity cost of having them is too big. This is all fantasy stuff for me to be fair.

• Advertisement

redlead wrote: »
    Thats a serious collection. Fair play for building it, I'm sure youve worked damn hard to get there. Its hard even know where to go from there ..... except its not. Get a precious metal Lange to add to the holy trinity. It kind of covers the precious metal hole you have and having those four would be bloody amazing.

I'm sad to see you got rid of the master control. That's one of my favourites and was offering something different to the rest of your collection. If I was you I'd cash out of both Rolex. What's the point of having them at this stage, you have next level sports watches. The opportunity cost of having them is too big. This is all fantasy stuff for me to be fair.

I liked the JLC too...the Patek is kinda the holy trinity version. Sold it to a good friend so didnt go too far.

The Daytona is special to me, its white gold and my first seriously painful watch. My wife wears the subs a lot. Need keep a at least one Rolex. Agree on the ALS thats one to get. A rolex is a handy thing, very rugged and waterproof. If the price reaches a certain level I set in my head I will sell it. Wouldn't go swimming with the AP although I am sure it can take it. Some say less is more...but really more is more. Will try hold the 5 good watches and add ALS....

Fitz II wrote: »
    Some say less is more...but really more is more. Will try hold the 5 good watches and add ALS....

This! You'll only have the Lange a week and you'll find yourself balls deep in FP Journe.com :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭This is it

What's a blocker?

redlead wrote: »
    This! You'll only have the Lange a week and you'll find yourself balls deep in FP Journe.com :-)

Never a true word said.

Blockers (trademarked by me in 2019) is a horological term. They are watches that take up a space in your watch box that you don’t really truly love, you might have bought as they were “in fashion” at the time, a forum darling, or perhaps it was a good price etc.

As an example....if a couple of Rolex came up at the right price I would buy them, despite ingeneral not liking them. They then become blockers as I no longer have funds when the watches I actually really want comes available.

• Advertisement

I've thanked and liked enough other posters SOTC that taking Fitz's advice.
    It is most certainly time to post my own.

I've just realized that I have a handwinder on the winder.
    A little redundant but in my defence, I'd just whipped off the Breitling to get it in the SOTC photo ;)
    So back row L-R
    HKed Bund V3
    Tudor BB41 79230R
    Sinn U2 that is soon to be returned to sword hands and Black datewheel. My skeleton hands were an absolutely awful idea!
    IWC 3878-02

Front row L-R
    Seiko Arnie re-issue
    Accutron Astronaut, on a generic bracelet as I'm waiting on new springbars for the Coffin link.
    Citizen Promaster jp3050
    Superocean 2 44mm

As can be seen my preference apart from the Accutron runs to larger cases.
    I'm looking forward to adding a starlight to the collection and I'm toying with acquiring another Tudor either a Pelagos or a North Flag, but funds and time will tell on that front.

00000-IMG-00000-BURST20210308093609758-COVER.jpg

Looking good Banie, Of them all the IWC pops to me. Nice collection.

Fitz II wrote: »
    Looking good Banie, Of them all the IWC pops to me. Nice collection.

I still have it on the cheapo strap I picked up from AliExpress.
    The leather I got with it is lovely, but I think I may eventually buy a bracelet for it too.

The leather/canvas does make it a comfortable wear tho IMO.
    The Astronaut is probably my favourite but the Tudor runs it close.

I like the IWC too. The strap is a great colour for it.

I have to say I always admire Superocean's when worn on the rubber like that one. Completely changes the look an vibe of the watch versus the bracelet.

Great collection thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

banie01 wrote: »
    I've thanked and liked enough other posters SOTC that taking Fitz's advice.
    It is most certainly time to post my own.

I've just realized that I have a handwinder on the winder.
    A little redundant but in my defence, I'd just whipped off the Breitling to get it in the SOTC photo ;)
    So back row L-R
    HKed Bund V3
    Tudor BB41 79230R
    Sinn U2 that is soon to be returned to sword hands and Black datewheel. My skeleton hands were an absolutely awful idea!
    IWC 3878-02

Front row L-R
    Seiko Arnie re-issue
    Accutron Astronaut, on a generic bracelet as I'm waiting on new springbars for the Coffin link.
    Citizen Promaster jp3050
    Superocean 2 44mm

As can be seen my preference apart from the Accutron runs to larger cases.
    I'm looking forward to adding a starlight to the collection and I'm toying with acquiring another Tudor either a Pelagos or a North Flag, but funds and time will tell on that front.

Nice diverse collection banie!

I have a box of spring bars, I'll post a selection to you for the Accutron bracelet if you're stuck. Came with one of those Chinese tool kit selection boxes, would like to see them go to a good home - PM me your address. They're all an unusually narrow diameter, many shapes and sizes.

david wrote: »
    Nice diverse collection banie!

I have a box of spring bars, I'll post a selection to you for the Accutron bracelet if you're stuck. Came with one of those Chinese tool kit selection boxes, would like to see them go to a good home - PM me your address. They're all an unusually narrow diameter, many shapes and sizes.

Thanks for both the compliment, and the offer!
    Its very much appreciated and I'll drop you a PM later.

This really is one of the soundest corners of the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

No worries! I've no idea if they'll work but worth a shot!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Yes but it takes balls to put up a SOTC photo after some of the ones gone up here recently. Nice collection there banie, can't help noticing all the black dials, was that just the way things worked out or is it intentional?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Yes but it takes balls to put up a SOTC photo after some of the ones gone up here recently. Nice collection there banie, can't help noticing all the black dials, was that just the way things worked out or is it intentional?

Thanks Blue.
    Yeah, some of the folks here really have smashing taste and collections.

Not intentional at all and, I'd agree I need a splash of colour in there.
    But much like Mr Ford and the model T, black is usually cheapest :pac:
    The grey of the IWC is the only non black I own :(

I need to expand my horizons.

So story goes that I was getting out of Rolex.....well didnt work out.

IMG-0017-2.jpg

• Advertisement

My name is Fitz and I am a Rolexholic. I have not bought one in 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

SOPOTC

551938.JPG

551939.JPG

My name is Fitz and I am a Rolexholic. I have not bought one in 5 2 days.

FYP

A proper rolex fan boy collection. Shame about the the fillers in the box .... ahem, the AP and Patek ;-)

I'm really liking the root beer I have to say. That and the chocolate yachtmaster don't get the love they deserve.

And.

552076.JPG

552077.JPG

And finally.

552078.JPG

Total 24.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I thought there was an and coming. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I thought there was an and coming. :)

Two ands, don't know if you caught the second one. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks both of you for sharing. What's on the radar(s)?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    Thanks both of you for sharing. What's on the radar(s)?

Radar? Nothing, I'm all watched up. Need to downsize if anything.

Advertisement