Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster vs La Rochelle

• 02-05-2021 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

552040.jpg552041.jpg

The boys getting ready for the match.

Charlie's favourite player dates from his puppyhood. The Tipp man is a big Shane Horgan fan "Shaggy, just like me".

Milo prefers the modern generation, especially James Tracy "Can't beat a ginge".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

ROG/Sexton Ross Byrne debate. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Gorgeous dogs Swiwi.

I'm usually nervous about Leinster in knock out games. But for this one I'm not. Which makes me even more nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Dont have BT2.:(
    Will it be on RTE Radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Clegg wrote: »
    Gorgeous dogs Swiwi.

Cheers. Don't think either would make great rugby players though. Charlie would just bark until all the players herded into a circle.

Milo is fast and agile, but would quickly earn a reputation for being ball-greedy, and not releasing the ball when tackled.

Think Leinster will win this and with a bit to spare. Think the pack will control the game too well. Glimmer of hope for LR is the absence of Sexton, but RB was O for awesome in the quarter final, reckon he can do the job again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Quite nervous about this one. On paper, that La Rochelle side is very close in quality to Leinster. Throw in the home advantage and there's very little between them.

I think the experience and match intelligence of some of the Leinster players will be key. I think guys like Byrne, Henshaw, Furlong and VDF have the edge on their opposite numbers in those areas despite the talent levels being very similar.

It will be interesting to see how Leinster use possession. La Rochelle have turnover threats and will be ready for the multi phase game. Their wings aren't renowned defenders but if there are any loose kicks, they are renowned attackers in open play.

It's not really being discussed but Cian Healy is packing down against 150kg Atonio who is backed by the 140kg Skelton. If he can withstand that onslaught, it will be a huge boost to Leinster's plan.

Hearing the stats for both teams respectively, La Rochelle are all about intense bursts and explosive play. They are not used to significant periods of ball in play. Leinster are excellent at winning the middle third of the game when jelly legs kick in and that's going to be key against such a large pack.

I thought Gloucester gave a very good demonstration as to how to disrupt La Rochelle. Get up in their face hard and fast and don't allow them utilise their offloading game as much as they want (and they still got the ball away repeatedly). Easy to forget that game was in the balance with only 15 minutes left.

La Rochelle love to bring Skelton, Aldritt and Vito onto the ball at pace in midfield with a trailing runner for the offload. I can see guys like Ruddock going out there with a detail to kill that.

I can see it being very tight but Leinster to win a one score game. I think it's going to be a nervous watch though and the game is going to be in the balance until the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

If we keep our half backs on the pitch I think we'll be OK. If either go off, I'd be worried, particularly if they got injured before 60/65 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

PMBC wrote: »
    Will it be on RTE Radio?

Yes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Could be a cracker. I'll be glued to it later on.

La Rochelle are an excellent team, on the rise, but I don't think they've met anything like Leinster in full battle mode before.

I think we'll rope a dope until they are flaked and then cut loose for the last 30. Leinster by 12 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm usually nervous about Leinster in knock out games. But for this one I'm not. Which makes me even more nervous.

Same. I haven't been nervous all week, usually a bad sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭pummice

PMBC wrote: »
    Will it be on RTE Radio?

You can pay €10 to TV Now to watch it online

Kick-off in the Stade Rochelais is at 3pm Irish time.

Look at you trying to be smart. The name of the club is Stade Rochelais, the name of the stadium is Stade Marcel-Deflandre.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm nervously confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,744 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Nerves starting to kick in now. I'm happy with where Leinster are at. We have a composure and control that provides a lot of confidence. I haven't seen much of La Rochelle this season so the nerves are coming from what I'm reading here and elsewhere. I think if we keep it tight for the first quarter then our experience along with that composure and control should be the edge we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Line-ups:
    Leinster Stade Rochelais
    Hugo Keenan FB 15 Brice Dulin
    Jordan Larmour RW 14 Dillyn Leyds
    Garry Ringrose OC 13 Geoffrey Doumayrou
    Robbie Henshaw IC 12 Levamisole Botia
    James Lowe LW 11 Raymond Rhule
    Ross Byrne OH 10 Isaiah West
    Luke McGrath SH 9 Tawera Kerr Barlow
    Cian Healy LP 1 Reda Wardi
    Rónan Kelleher H 2 Pierre Bourgarit
    Tadhg Furlong TP 3 Uini Atonio
    Devin Toner L 4 Romain Sazy (capt)
    James Ryan L 5 Will Skelton
    Rhys Ruddock BF 6 Grégory Alldritt
    Josh Van der Flier OF 7 Wiaan Liebenberg
    Jack Conan N8 Victor Vito

Replacements: Replacements:
    James Tracy H 16 Facundo Bosch
    Ed Byrne LP 17 Dany Priso
    Andrew Porter TP 18 Arthur Joly
    Scott Fardy L 19 Thomas Lavault
    Ryan Baird BR 20 Kevin Gourdon
    Rowan Osborne SH 21 Arthur Retiere
    Ciarán Frawley OH 22 Jules Plisson
    Rory O'Loughlin UB 23 Pierre Aguillon

Isaiah West any relation to Ihaia?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If we keep our half backs on the pitch I think we'll be OK. If either go off, I'd be worried, particularly if they got injured before 60/65 mins.

Luckily LAR are in a similar position, West came off injured with a shoulder injury in their game against Lyon a couple weeks ago and was in a race to make it to this game, Kerr Barlow was only declared fit from a neck injury and Plisson is only back from a hamstring injury

Luckily LAR are in a similar position, West came off injured with a shoulder injury in their game against Lyon a couple weeks ago and was in a race to make it to this game, Kerr Barlow was only declared fit from a neck injury and Plisson is only back from a hamstring injury

But Plisson and Barlow are on the bench. Our best outfall is not available, and our cover SH is not. That could be critical if we ship injuries. They are at full strength, across the 23.

I'm worried now. If West starts strongly, and they get their big ball carriers going, and get the nudge on Healy that side of the scrum....all ifs I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Buer

But Plisson and Barlow are on the bench. Our best outfall is not available, and our cover SH is not. That could be critical if we ship injuries. They are at full strength, across the 23.

I'm worried now. If West starts strongly, and they get their big ball carriers going, and get the nudge on Healy that side of the scrum....all ifs I know!

TKB is starting. La Rochelle have gone with no sub scrum half.

Buer wrote: »
    TKB is starting. La Rochelle have gone with no sub scrum half.

Didn't realise that, thanks.

Nervy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Shocking decision by Carly there.

This is great. Absolutely merciless.

Good start.

Need at least 3 more points while they're down a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

All for reffing hands ahead of the back foot, Carly has set his stall out early here, let’s see if he sticks to it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

David Nucifora doesn’t like seeing Tadhg get that try .

Can already see that La Rochelle's tactics will be to pressure our back three with huge up and unders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Van Der Flier. So underrated.

Can already see that La Rochelle's tactics will be to pressure our back three with huge up and unders.

Can already see thats unlikely to ruffle Leinster any.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

There’s that average poacher VDF again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭crisco10

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Can already see thats unlikely to ruffle Leinster any.

Mmm....2 weren't taken cleanly

Advertisement