Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

May shocker: strong winds, squally showers, even the potential for wintry showers

• 01-05-2021 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭

I think it's likely that a level one (yellow) wind and rain warning may be hoisted for Sunday night and Monday within the next few hours. Low pressure taking aim at Connacht will cross the country late Sunday night and bring intervals of heavy rain, as strong southeast winds will veer around to southwest then west to northwest increasing in speed later on Monday possibly into the 70-110 km/hr range.

The next few days will be unseasonably cold and bands of showers in moderate northwest to north winds could actually contain some mixed wintry varieties over higher parts of the north; hail mixing in with squally rain showers will be more widespread at lower elevations.

Even before the stormy weather arrives, today will have its own locally heavy showers with potential for hail too.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

As Tony the Tiger would say.....GRRRRREEEAAAATTTT. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Ohh MTC what a title! Wouldnt mind a bit of weather action finally :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes Thursday particularly cold 6 to 8c and Monday particularly wet 25mm

Ah FFS, MT!

You’re like the grinch that stole the sunshine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

the ECM has moved towards the GFS in terms of temporary wintriness in Monday's rain event for the north. The rain looks lighter than what the GFS is showing. Some showers after the low passes, most frequent in the north with a chance of wintry showers over northern hills as MT said.

overview_20210501_06_051.jpg?

overview_20210501_00_057.jpg?

overview_20210501_00_081.jpg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can’t understand how people can like bad weather. Crazy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

What was looking fairly benign in the earlier runs is certainly a lot windier and wetter on the latest output, ARPEGE and ICON have increased the wind speeds in the last two runs but showing maybe a bit less rainfall than the ECM at this stage. Quite a complex feature with the Jet in on the action helping to put spin on it, a bit to go yet with the final picture of this, seems to be a fairly strong whip of the winds developing for later Monday as the LP continues to deepen crossing the country, the winds would be freer as the front would be well cleared. Will this evolve into something stronger ??

Spot flooding possible in places. Would imagine with the ground so hard there could initially be a lot of run off.

Wintry showers on higher ground in Northern counties.

E2PmOKl.gif

m55oK1E.gif

6YbpnNW.png

A4Fuudj.png

Dk5JoWz.png

8lXOgDP.gif

bpdAHcZ.png

51HQ8R2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

A pink blizzard on Monday, the cherry blossoms last stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I can hear my veggies singing with the rain.
    After 11mm in April this is welcome. Just hope the wind part doesn't happen. All my fruit trees are in bloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Strange comment in the weather forum ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

We had hailstones this morning in Galway after an otherwise sunny start. It has been dry and fine since.

Ride me sideways was another one.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

The friggin turf just cut, the bog dry as a bone all month too!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Can anyone tell me is there another wet and windy event happening on Friday 7th into Sat 8th?. I've organised a Paddle for Pieta fundraiser for Darkness into Light. I'm hoping we won't be all swept away ��

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Can anyone tell me is there another wet and windy event happening on Friday 7th into Sat 8th?. I've organised a Paddle for Pieta fundraiser for Darkness into Light. I'm hoping we won't be all swept away ��

Way too far out to know. Best just keep an eye MT's daily forecasts on here in the run up.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Winds looking stronger again late afternoon / early evening on Monday more so over the Southern half of the country and especially in the W , SW with strong NW / W'ly's .

Strong for the time of the year especially with the trees in leaf.

Got a feeling that this could get even stronger, it has been trending that way now nearly every run.

kpM2f6K.gif

6siIuBn.gif

qXqnmed.png

vRh4Rov.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cant understand how people cant like crazy weather. Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

A wet and windy May fills the shed with sheafs of hay

apparently.

Winds looking stronger again late afternoon / early evening on Monday more so over the Southern half of the country and especially in the W , SW with strong NW / W'ly's .

Strong for the time of the year especially with the trees in leaf.

Got a feeling that this could get even stronger, it has been trending that way now nearly every run.

kpM2f6K.gif

6siIuBn.gif

qXqnmed.png

vRh4Rov.png

Thats the wrong forecast for Monday. I'm meant to be going to Kells Bay for a day out with the family

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

bfa1509 wrote: »

apparently.

Aye, and rough winds do shake the darling buds of May...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

bfa1509 wrote: »

apparently.

Yep - In my experience 9 times out of ten the weather is always rather grim in the week before and after the May Bank Holiday. In contrast the June Bank Holiday is usually far more seasonal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The wintry showers threat probably increases from late Monday to Wednesday as thicknesses below 522 dm are indicated for Ulster by then.

As to the question about next Friday night into Saturday, the general run of forecast models is for a wet and windy system to miss Ireland to the south and hit southern England next Saturday but even on the outer edges of that it will be very cool, slightly damp and unpleasant for outdoor activity (particularly at night).

That could change for the worse as model depictions of systems missing to south have a habit of shifting one way or the other, further could mean a secondary low and closer would mean the full onset of those bad conditions (+4C windy with rain would be the likely result for anyone on the northwest side of this system).

Thats the wrong forecast for Monday. I'm meant to be going to Kells Bay for a day out with the family

It will have to be tomorrow so :), looks a decent enough day, best earlier and cloudier in the afternoon, maybe just a shower or could stay dry. Was thinking out West myself around the Peninsula. Kells Bay on the list for another weekend too.

Latest ICON has the second round of winds in the afternoon a bit further N , looks like a high end yellow, will it get even stronger ?? A lot of counties will be under yellow wind warning I would think with the strongest winds in the bottom 2/3 of the country.

IqYLRjY.png

47YTaYO.png

• Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

limnam wrote: »
    Strange comment in the weather forum ;)

Not at all. I like good weather and can’t understand how someone can like rain or storms even in the weather forum. No bother with anyone talking about bad weather but liking it......... don’t get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭raclle

This hot and cold weather is after giving me the flu. I feel like pure crap :(

raclle wrote: »
    This hot and cold weather is after giving me the flu. I feel like pure crap :(

Weather can't give you the flu. Its a viral infection. Plenty of fluid and rest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭raclle

Weather can't give you the flu. Its a viral infection.
    Haha I meant in terms of spreading the infection. Isn't certain weather known for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Wind and Rain warning for Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Waterford, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Wexford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Unseasonably wet and windy.

Southwesterly winds, veering northerly through Monday will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65 km/h with gusts up to 100 km/h, particularly in coastal areas and on higher ground.

Heavy rain in conjunction with the wind will lead to spot flooding with a risk of wave overtopping in coastal areas.

Valid: 03:00 Monday 03/05/2021 to 22:00 Monday 03/05/2021

Issued: 10:53 Sunday 02/05/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A straight 10/10 for this morning down in Cork anyway, lovely clear morning - excellent visibilty - can see the wind farms on the Cork/Kerry border from Cobh with the naked eye. People out kayaking too and someone camping on the beach. Cloud building a bit now but it was a right cracker.

Will be a hell of a change come tomorrow. Hopefully the beans survive, they've only been planted for a week.

Almost on a yearly basis, and usually around this time of year, we get forecasts (and weather) that are apparently 'unseasonable', but are they? Wet and windy spells seem common enough events during the first half of May. Maybe that is just my distorted perception though.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Just as an example above, I remember that this feature last May (around the 22nd) was described as 'unseasonable' at the time.

n9J3TNX.png

New Moon

Advertisement