Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving garage within the site

• 02-05-2021 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭

We currently have following layout

552044.png

Garage is approximately 1.5m from the site boundary and there is 1.5m gap between the garage and the house.

Because the garage is just in front of our kitchen window and blocking good chunk of light, we'd like to shorten it a bit. While doing so we'd like to move it towards the house, so they share a wall to improve the insulating properties of the house.

552045.png

How do I approach this? Do I need planning permission?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Private Joker

grogi wrote: »
    We currently have following layout

552044.png

Garage is approximately 1.5m from the site boundary and there is 1.5m gap between the garage and the house.

Because the garage is just in front of our kitchen window and blocking good chunk of light, we'd like to shorten it a bit. While doing so we'd like to move it towards the house, so they share a wall to improve the insulating properties of the house.

552045.png

How do I approach this? Do I need planning permission?

Any advice appreciated.

I would say so. You're altering the front elevation of your house and there's no size on the drawing but if its over 20m2 you will need planning.
    Its a simple enough process. I would rather go through planning than have enforcement come to u.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would say so. You're altering the front elevation of your house and there's no size on the drawing but if its over 20m2 you will need planning.
    Its a simple enough process. I would rather go through planning than have enforcement come to u.
    Who mentioned front elevation and where did you pull 20m2 from?

@ OP. A bit more detail required. Size of garage? Built with house or later?

muffler wrote: »
    Who mentioned front elevation and where did you pull 20m2 from?

@ OP. A bit more detail required. Size of garage? Built with house or later?

Making assumptions muffler. Op gave very little info.
    My advice is to go for planning. It depends on ridge height ,size and location.
    The garage floor will also need to be lower than the house floor if there's access from house to garage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Making assumptions muffler. Op gave very little info.
    My advice is to go for planning. It depends on ridge height ,size and location.
    The garage floor will also need to be lower than the house floor if there's access from house to garage.

But the assumptions you’ve made make no sense. The figures used, and the talk of front elevations make no impact on the exemption status.

Gumbo wrote: »
    But the assumptions you’ve made make no sense. The figures used, and the talk of front elevations make no impact on the exemption status.

Fair enough. Just checked its 25sqm for an exempted garage not 20. But its essentially an extension to the existing house if its to the rear of the house its exempted if its under 40sqm, if its at the side of the house its not.
    The op said the garage is 1.5m from the boundary unless their back garden is tiny, its to the side of the house.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Just checked its 25sqm for an exempted garage not 20. But its essentially an extension to the existing house if its to the rear of the house its exempted if its under 40sqm, if its at the side of the house its not.
    The op said the garage is 1.5m from the boundary unless their back garden is tiny, its to the side of the house.

You can attach the garage to the house and still enjoy the garage exemption. I’ve done this myself.

Gumbo wrote: »
    You can attach the garage to the house and still enjoy the garage exemption. I’ve done this myself.

Did not know that gumbo. I always assumed if you alter the front elevation of the house you would need planning.
    It does make sense that the exemption still exists.

Did not know that gumbo. I always assumed if you alter the front elevation of the house you would need planning.
    It does make sense that the exemption still exists.

You can add a garage, a shed or similar to the side without planning, subject to height and area limits and of course, not breaking the building line.

Also, porches are to the front and exempt up to 2 sq. M.

Advertisement