Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car check came up with problems

• 01-05-2021 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭

Was going to look at a car tomorrow so paid a €10 check with cartell, 2 problems

1. Damage alert, damage level - insura alert, action contact cartell.

2.Mileage, discrepancy - yes, We have found a possible mileage discrepancy for this vehicle based on readings held on the NMR. Please note in our experience a mileage discrepancy can be caused by one of several factors: a mileage reading has been entered incorrectly .
    Now doesn't say what mileage discrepancy so not much help.
    First time i done one of these anyone done one before and what opinions on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

dont touch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

Walk away, i used 3 of them last year looking for a car for my son, first 2 searches were horrendous, pity anyone who bought them without checking. 3rd one was clean as a whistle and no issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭HBC08

Well done on doing the check,now walk away.
    When you look at lots of cars and start doing checks you realise how many absolute chancers there are out there.
    Chancers need people that aren't thorough to buy their problem cars,don't be that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

First time i done one now the car is a 2010 focus was going to look at tomorrow as owner said would except €1500 , which i though was good, now i know why but as been said someone will buy it without checking, what happens with a insurance quote would car show up as accident damage or write off?
    ps, have contacted seller with the details i found.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ring cartell and get more elaborate information on both flagged warnings. Damage alert probably means it's an insurance write off. If it's a UK import then it could be a Cat D which is the lowest level of damage in the UK. On an 11 year old car it's not unheard of to have cosmetic damage repaired at some point. However insurance companies might not want to insure it. Mileage discrepancy could simply be an incorrect entry of the mileage on the NCT cert in km instead of miles or vice versa. A closer look at the car's service history could explain it.

If you cannot get any further information or get more questions than answers then just walk away, there are plenty more cars out there.

• Advertisement

Its a Irish car according to cartell,contacted cartell but wont be back til tuesday, will let you know if owner gets back me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Same here at one time. Nice merc came up on Done deal I was interested in. Came up with
    serious insurance write off fault.

Told the owner I would not be buying due to the report. She was stunned and knew nothing about
    and she had been driving it for 2 years after bringing in from the UK

Walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Not sure I necessairly agree with walk away, you would need more detail

Mileage discrepancy: whats the discrepancy, how far out is it, my last car the mileage was record incorrectly on nct, the put the miles converted to km but still put it as down as miles.

Damage alert: again more details needed is it a car park ding requiring minro bodywork or somethign more.

Whats the car also is relevant, I wouldn't be so worried about issues flagged on a 10+ year old car compared to a 3 year old.

Owner got back to me,"The car was crashed before I bought it but just panel damage that had been filled,The paint work isn't wonderful as a result , Did it say what the mileage should be?".

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Water2626262

I’d say walk away but to be fair I’ve come across a mileage discrepancy before. They recorded something like 520,000 miles instead of 52,000. I was trading this particular car in and the dealer got it checked. Was happy enough with the condition of the car and I’d literally had to have been driving the car 24/7 if the mileage was correct.

• Advertisement

Cartell rang me back today with details on damage, Category C: Badly damaged, repairable, said you might need to get a engineers report for insurance , needless to say wont be buying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Cartell rang me back today with details on damage, Category C: Badly damaged, repairable, said you might need to get a engineers report for insurance , needless to say wont be buying anyway.

Out of interest was it definitely an Irish car from new? Speedo and reg numbering might indicate UK. Never seen category alerts on Irish from new cars.

Out of interest was it definitely an Irish car from new? Speedo and reg numbering might indicate UK. Never seen category alerts on Irish from new cars.

This is what's on report,

Date of First Registration 04-01-2010
    Date of Registration in Ireland 04-01-2010

it a 2010 Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

At least you have some closure on it now. Just move on to the next one.

Advertisement