Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Courses - Civil Servants

Options
  • 28-04-2021 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi, does anyone know if any government department offer courses (management, IT etc..) to civil servants or is there tax relief on particular courses?

I was looking at the ; https://www.ipa.ie/management-development/diploma-in-management.2279.html

Cost is 2,950e. Would a government department pay for this if it is deemed it will be relevant or is there free courses (not springboard) offered to CS?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭Augme

There is a refund of fees initiative within the civil service. Obviously different departments will run it slightly differently. Generally if you can make a good business case for why the course is relevant to your current role or else relevant to the organisations work and might help on a future role you'll have a good chance, from my experience anyway.

Like with everything civil service, I am are there are some departments who run it terribly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Hi, does anyone know if any government department offer courses (management, IT etc..) to civil servants or is there tax relief on particular courses?

I was looking at the ; https://www.ipa.ie/management-development/diploma-in-management.2279.html

Cost is 2,950e. Would a government department pay for this if it is deemed it will be relevant or is there free courses (not springboard) offered to CS?

Cheers
    Varies within departments, some will pay 100% as long as you pass. Some pay nothing. Check with local HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

All Government Departments operate a Refund of Fees scheme. Typically you make a business case to your manager as to how this course will benefit your work and the work of your section. THey approve it and send it to HR. In my Deptartment the senior management group sign off on all these applications. It's fairly standard and there should be information available from your HR section on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭direstraits

Cheers it was for a friend of mine, I will pass the info on, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Worked with a guy who wanted to do a legal course relevant to his job. His manager refused it based on him being off 1 day a month for classes.

He left the department soon after. Couldn't blame him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Awkwardstroke

That’s a pity. It should also be noted that civil servants can get some study & exam time off for certain approved courses.
    In general, my experience of the CS on this matter is quite positive yet you do need to make a business case as others have stated earlier. It’s also a challenge to balance work & study sometimes.
    Worked with a guy who wanted to do a legal course relevant to his job. His manager refused it based on him being off 1 day a month for classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just to be clear, looking to do a course in work time is a different scenario to looking to get your course fees refunded, as in the OP. It is a different ask.

In my experience, most managers look favourably on training and development of all kinds, and any PMDS without some element of training planned for the year ahead is likely to get knocked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just to be clear, looking to do a course in work time is a different scenario to looking to get your course fees refunded, as in the OP. It is a different ask.

In my experience, most managers look favourably on training and development of all kinds, and any PMDS without some element of training planned for the year ahead is likely to get knocked back.

Just to be clear, the op never specified if the course was during work time or not.

Plus I don't see the issue with doing a course directly related to the job and which would benefit the department during working hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Get in touch with your learning and development department or HR. Civil service offers the refund of fees scheme. Good few in my place have completed management and law degrees via evening courses. Hard slog all the same, especially if you have kids or a decent commute etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just to be clear, the op never specified if the course was during work time or not.

Plus I don't see the issue with doing a course directly related to the job and which would benefit the department during working hours.

I'm not disagreeing with you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement