Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cypress for hive building.... want some?

• 18-03-2021 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I am a long time lurker on this forum, i post regularly though on the forestry and woodcraft forums. I've a sawmill in the yard and such..

I have some 3 tons or so of nice Cypress logs. I understand that the timber (heartwood only) is very rot resistant and nicely scented, and that it is widely considered suitable for hive building.

Would any of you like some boards for hive building?
    What sizes will suit?
    I am planning to build some Warré hives with some of it.
    It would be a shame to see such nice wood end up as post and rail fencing or suchlike.

tim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Hi Tim, I'm hoping to build two or three new hives, national, this year to replace the couple that I have. It would help to know what county you're in, I'm in Wexford, if you're close I'd definitely be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Hi Tim, I'm hoping to build two or three new hives, national, this year to replace the couple that I have. It would help to know what county you're in, I'm in Wexford, if you're close I'd definitely be interested.

I'm in Westmeath. What board sizes would typically be used? I'd say shipping might be easy enough.
    tim

225mm X 18mm for brood box and 150mm X 18mm for the supers.

225mm X 18mm for brood box and 150mm X 18mm for the supers.

What length are the sides of the boxes? boards can be supplied in a multiple of this length to minimise waste.

Planed or plain sawn?

tim

What length are the sides of the boxes? boards can be supplied in a multiple of this length to minimise waste.

Planed or plain sawn?

tim

2 x 460mm and 2 424mm long, these dimensions are for national hives which I use, there are lots of others in use. I know people who use planed and others who use sawn. I don't think the bees care much either way.:)

• Advertisement

2 x 460mm and 2 424mm long, these dimensions are for national hives which I use, there are lots of others in use. I know people who use planed and others who use sawn. I don't think the bees care much either way.:)

Multiples of 1 meter length boards would suit so,
    thank you very much,
    I'll go ahead and saw some in these sizes and stack em to dry
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭victor8600

For you information, plans for some of the popular hives (with dimensions) are available at Dave Cushman's website. For example, the National hive brood box dimensions are http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/natbrood.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Thud

Only seeing this now Tim, did you sell all the boards?
    i see you built a hive yourself, any pictures?

yes we built a warre hive, i've lots of cypress available.
    very busy with other forestry work at the moment, I'll be sawing more cypress in the next few weeks.
    tim

Advertisement