Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat roof for new extension

• 30-04-2021 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

We have had to change our roof design for new extension at the last minute due to the need to move our extension - long story. It was to be mono pitch but now due to the new position in relation to the existing house, that will no longer work. We were given 2 days to decide on a new roof as builder needs to know tomorrow. We're now looking at a flat roof with that "lip" around the edge, can't remember the term. I can't help but worry about leaks but people say modern flat roofs are not flat, flat. I see so many flat roofs on modern houses and extensions and they look great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

If your flat roof has a 15 degree pitch, it will not be deemed to be flat. Are you getting fiberglass? If so I wouldn't worry too much about leaks. Fiberglass is very good. Be aware that a flat roof may effect your home insurance costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭misc2013

newbie2 wrote: »
    If your flat roof has a 15 degree pitch, it will not be deemed to be flat. Are you getting fiberglass? If so I wouldn't worry too much about leaks. Fiberglass is very good. Be aware that a flat roof may effect your home insurance costs.

Do you mean 15deg pitch majes5it not a flat roof for the purposes of insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

misc2013 wrote: »
    Do you mean 15deg pitch majes5it not a flat roof for the purposes of insurance?

Yes

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Op you have given zero info above. Is it pvc, bitumen,metal, grass? As per other thread, you’ve no drawing and no details. I think you know what you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Don't, just don't.

You need some pitch to get the water away.
    Even if it's only 5 degrees

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Don't, just don't.

You need some pitch to get the water away.
    Even if it's only 5 degrees

The term flat roof is a common term. It’s actually laid to falls.

BryanF wrote: »
    Op you have given zero info above. Is it pvc, bitumen,metal, grass? As per other thread, you’ve no drawing and no details. I think you know what you need to do.

I was simply looking for an opinion on flat roof v pitch roof. What;s been suggested is either fibre glass or trocal. I believe flat roofs are not what they used to be but still.

misc2013 wrote: »
    I was simply looking for an opinion on flat roof v pitch roof. What;s been suggested is either fibre glass or trocal. I believe flat roofs are not what they used to be but still.

What length of warranty is the builder and manufacturer offering? Nothing wrong with trocal once installed correctly. Fibre glass again comes down to the details and whether it’s u-v resistant. I’ve installed 2 ply bitumen on my flat roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Anybody heard of or remember Dry-dek? On the advice of a young builder friend more than 30 years ago I specd that for a 'flat' roof extension mother's place, sealed with hot bitumen and covered with 3 layers mineral felt. It still hasn't shown a leak; but the felt was changed 15 years to ?polybutyl. At the time a lot of people were using chipboard or felt covered ditto lol.
    Anyone know of an equivalent product?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Worth checking with your insurance company as to what their requirements for a flat roof are. My father in laws place, his insurance company insisted it’s not covered unless it was reflected by a registered contractor every 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Gumbo wrote: »
    The term flat roof is a common term. It’s actually laid to falls.

Thanks Dad

Seeing as we are veterans of flat roofs

Don't just don't, do it the normal way and just do it right the first time

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Thanks Dad

Seeing as we are veterans of flat roofs

Don't just don't, do it the normal way and just do it right the first time

Cut this out. Your last two posts are borderline trolling.

Looks like the choice has been taken away. It was going to have parapet but it won't work against existing roof as existing pitch is too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

EPDM?

Advertisement