Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

R-Type Final 2

• 30-04-2021 2:58pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else picking this up for a weekend of hardcore shmuppetry? Switch, PS, xbox and PC.

Not many picking it up for review. Didn't get a recommended from Eurogamer but Metro gamecentral gave it a 8/10 and said it was far better than the original R-Type Final.

I'll buy it regardless, adore the series and each game has been incredible with the exception of the first R-Type Final. Great that most of the original developers from IREM have been working on this.

Comments

May pick it up for the Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How's it run on Switch? Would be my preferred format but with a game like this, 60fps would make a big difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So managed to give this a quick go.

Initially I did really poorly. I wasn't used to the hit box on the force which is way smaller than other R-Type games but I got all the way to the third stage after a few tries.

Basically I think they really nailed this one. Runs constant 60 FPS (on my pretty beefy PC though). Stages are a little shorter than other R-Type games but that's not a bad thing. Level design is really great so far. There's no down time. Loving the music as well.

I saw a lot of comments about the graphics which I just don't get. I think it looks gorgeous. In particular the lighting effects and shadows which are spectacular. Really love the light charging the cannon creates and how it interacts with the force to throw shadows on the wall.

Loving this and I went ahead and bought the season pass.

Tried the first season pass level.... it's a big jump in difficulty. It seems to be a remix of stage 6 of R-type. Didn't finish it but it's well designed with its own level design gimmick.

So far initial impressions are that it's really good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How's it run on Switch? Would be my preferred format but with a game like this, 60fps would make a big difference.

I've read there's framerate issues in sections on the switch and it's 30 FPS.

Advertisement