Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

330i opinions

• 29-04-2021 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi
    I am looking at a 201 BMW 330i. It's priced at just under 40K with 14k km from a main dealer. My average mileage is c. 10k km per year so diesel is not worthwhile.
    I don't want the 330e because of reduced boot size and the added weight impacting handling and ride. Just interested in opinions on this. I am conscious that selling on may be more difficult than a diesel or plug in but I generally keep cars for 7 to 8 years. Finally I will be buying with cash - is there any scope for a discount on the price? Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Theres probably not many 201 330i for sale to play dealers off each other but sounds pretty decent pricewise to me.
    If you're happy with the resale problem potentially down the road I don't think there's much anyone could argue with you that it's a good buy.
    The bootspace in 330e will be a deal breaker for some and thats fair enough but I don't think performance and handling wise the 330i is worth a premium over 330e but at 40k I don't think there is a premium being charged.
    Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Water2626262

I was on the hunt for a 3 to 4 year old 330i/430i (f30). They were rare as hens teeth and about a 5-8k premium over the 330e (which I ended up with). Doubt resale will be an issue on the non hybrids. Low tax / insurance and powerful 2litre engine. I’d reckon demand for petrols over diesels will only increase as people’s mileage drop etc. I’d imagine the new 330e is still popular with UK fleets and the technology might move rapidly so they could well depreciate rapidly like the f30.

I sometimes wish I went with the non hybrid but couldn’t justify the 5k min premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Of all the options in the 3 Series range, the 330i MSport is the exact spec that no less than Top Gear Magazine itself would select, ahead of the 330e, 320d or 340i.

So really I don't think you'll be one bit sorry to own that one long term. In fact, in 4 to 6 years time, when full EV power trains with 800 km range are selling in big numbers and everyone is whirring about like a scene from Back to the Future II, you'll be even more satisfied to own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My main concern is that the 330i will be have a lower future resale value than the 330e as the rebate is going on the PHEV so new prices of the 330e will be jumping by about 5k meaning used ones will have stronger residues. But I suppose that can be offset partially if your getting the 330i now for a good bit less than the equivalent 330e.

Regarding discount, if it's the Sport model for sale down in Cork then it's asking price is one of the cheapest at present so there might not be much room for further discount and BMW dealers are not known for being generous, but if you don't ask you won't get so it's worth testing the water with a realistic offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 pjackson

Thanks for all the very constructive feedback. I’ll be thinking about it over the long weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If I was in your position OP, I would definitely be going for a 330i. In fact before I bought my current car the 330i was on my radar but the 330e wasn't because I didn't want the extra weight and from what I've read, the petrol engine isn't too economical when the batteries are dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Harcrid

If I was in your position OP, I would definitely be going for a 330i. In fact before I bought my current car the 330i was on my radar but the 330e wasn't because I didn't want the extra weight and from what I've read, the petrol engine isn't too economical when the batteries are dead.

Worries about fuel economy and then buys an M4. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Harcrid wrote: »
    Worries about fuel economy and then buys an M4. :D:D:D

Nah I didn't mean it that way, I wasn't worried about the economy. That was just to let the OP know about it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

pjackson wrote: »
    Thanks for all the very constructive feedback. I’ll be thinking about it over the long weekend.

I'd 100% go for it, seems like a fair price.

My wife has a 320i and it's a great car. She has it in msport+ pack which is really nice.

Only option I'd have liked would have been the tech pack - to get wireless charging and upgraded sound system.

Personally I'd only get one with msport+ pack as think it makes massive difference to exterior appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭carsfan2

If it’s the car Bazz mentioned in kearys and you like it, I’d say it’s a good buy.

Most people looking for a 330i will want m sport spec at minimum hence that sport model is attractively priced. If you hold onto the car as long as you intend to then I don’t think it will be as much as a factor when reselling however. If you go to change in a couple of years BMW dealers will throw that line at you and offer you a fair bit less.
    It looks good as a sport model anyway and has plenty of toys but I along with most people would go for a m sport model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I think the 330i is also a better option though everything I say below should be taken with a large grain of salt, because I have yet to drive a G20 (even though I am itching to).

But the 330i is 200 kilos lighter, has a proper boot and a proper fuel tank (59 litres rather than 40), also if you get an M Sport it gets Sports suspension rather than SE suspension like the 330e M Sport (although M Sport Plus models get adaptive right across the range, even the plug in), they are big advantages.

It's still very reasonable for road tax, and I think an enthusiast will want one over a 330e every time second hand, they're also very rare so that will help, too.

That's not to say there isn't merit in a 330e, but to me it's more of a nice way to beat the taxman when buying new, you can still have a traditional rear driven BMW with plenty of power (288 bhp after all) but very good value and let's face it, as eco friendly choices go, it's going to be a heck of a lot better than a Tesla or other PHEV. They made massive strides in the transition from F30 to G20 with the doubling of the electric range and the 40 bhp power increase, they also moved the battery to where the fuel tank sits in the pure ICE models rather than in the boot so I'm sure it's still a very good car.

I'd also consider the 330d, more power, a lot more torque, better mpg, and best of all, a six cylinder engine - though I admit they will be a tricky car to shift given how people have gone off diesel, and that's only going to get worse in the long run. Also, it's a lot heavier so won't quite have the handling of the petrol. I think you'd have to accept you'd be married to it really, and it is still a diesel, which just never appeals to me the way a petrol does (even diesels as brilliant as BMW's six cylinder units).

With that in mind, I think the 330i is the best G20, the only thing I really don't like about it is the fact that a six cylinder engine is notable by its glaring absence. In its favour are the facts that it's much lighter and cheaper than the M340i, has proper rear wheel drive like all BMWs had in the good old days, and with 255 bhp, it should be fast enough for most people, I'm not surprised it gets such good reviews and I'm itching to drive one myself at some point. I'm also itching to try the 330e just to see if my fears about the handling and driving experience are figments of my imagination, because like all plug ins, if you use them wisely you can really make some decent fuel savings and there will be a market second hand, a 3 series will almost sell itself by virtue of being a 3 series.

Interesting the views that the M Sport is the better option. I was thinking the Sport without lowered suspension and on smaller wheels would ride better - I am looking for a balance of handling and comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I think the 330i is also a better option though everything I say below should be taken with a large grain of salt,

You feckin love BM 6 pots!:D

On the 330i, it's the sweet spot in the range. What's not to like, plenty of power/economy/refinement and it's not a tractor.

Interesting the views that the M Sport is the better option. I was thinking the Sport without lowered suspension and on smaller wheels would ride better - I am looking for a balance of handling and comfort.

I wouldn't say that m sport is a better option just that more buyers look for m sport on a car like a 330i.
    The m sport will cost more to buy and will sell easier but will not necessarily maintain the price gap to a sport model after 8 years so if you like the sport model all the better.
    I assume you have driven the car in question and like it?
    If so I would buy it.

It depends on what you want. I like cars that drive well, that's why large engines, sports suspension, and so on are top of my priority list in choosing a car.

I don't like soft suspension because it makes a car bouncy and uncomfortable on a country road, not to mention the poorer handling, the compromise is a harsher ride, particularly over sleeping policemen. A compromise I'm happy to accept, but not everyone will share my view on this of course.

What I have no doubt about is that M Sport cars are more desirable (particularly if you get a 330i or 330d), they also have much more comfortable seats and a nicer steering wheel.

There is only one way to find out, and that is to drive them and see for yourself. I know the latest car does have a reputation for a harsh ride on M Sport suspension so you probably won't like that too much. Adaptive suspension allows you to adjust the ride/handling compromise as you can alter how stiff the suspension is, so worth seeking out a car with that (any M Sport Plus has it, even the 330e).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

It depends on what you want. I like cars that drive well, that's why large engines, sports suspension, and so on are top of my priority list in choosing a car.

I don't like soft suspension because it makes a car bouncy and uncomfortable on a country road, not to mention the poorer handling, the compromise is a harsher ride, particularly over sleeping policemen. A compromise I'm happy to accept, but not everyone will share my view on this of course.

What I have no doubt about is that M Sport cars are more desirable (particularly if you get a 330i or 330d), they also have much more comfortable seats and a nicer steering wheel.

There is only one way to find out, and that is to drive them and see for yourself. I know the latest car does have a reputation for a harsh ride on M Sport suspension so you probably won't like that too much. Adaptive suspension allows you to adjust the ride/handling compromise as you can alter how stiff the suspension is, so worth seeking out a car with that (any M Sport Plus has it, even the 330e).

We have the g20 in m sport plus and I’ve no issue with the ride or suspension - love it.

Just have to slow down a lot of speed bumps

We have the g20 in m sport plus and I’ve no issue with the ride or suspension - love it.

Just have to slow down a lot of speed bumps

That makes sense as M Sport Plus cars have adaptive dampers, something you have to pay for with the rest of the range. The different drive modes affect how stiff the dampers are, and hence how the car rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Casati

330i 201 for under 40k seems like great value. I’m considering a 530i if I can get my mileage down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

I have a g20 330e MSport Plus … I haven’t had a BMW since an old e36 325 coupe and I was initially concerned about the ride comfort and it is nothing to worry about even though I live in the country side.

I had a loaner 2017 320d MSport for a week last summer and it was very harsh compared to the g20 and tramlined terrible.

OP did you buy the 330i in the end?
    The one in kearys appears to have increased in price to 41700 euro now as has the price of the m sport they had by a similar amount.

• Advertisement

No. I am going to leave it sit for a little while. If I proceed I would need to get back to the original price.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Interesting that the price has increased :-) I actually was looking at this car also about 2 weeks ago and I think it was originally €44K then went to €39K (or maybe €39,900?) and is now back at €41,400.
    I obviously didnt buy it either but I found a different one in Colm Quinn and bought that instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

In my opinion 330i will hold its value better then 330e. There are tons of 330e and very very few 330i. Those who want 330i will hunt it down and pay extra. Your buyer won't be average person, it will be the specific few, but those few will be the least time wasting ones.

New shape 330i is out of my own budget, but my first choice definitely would be older 530i or 430i or 330i, but those are pretty much non existent here.

DriveSkill wrote: »
    Interesting that the price has increased :-) I actually was looking at this car also about 2 weeks ago and I think it was originally €44K then went to €39K (or maybe €39,900?) and is now back at €41,400.
    I obviously didnt buy it either but I found a different one in Colm Quinn and bought that instead!

It's like a Harvey Norman sale, put the price up before the sale then reduce it back down to the same price again and call it a sale price.

In my opinion 330i will hold its value better then 330e. There are tons of 330e and very very few 330i. Those who want 330i will hunt it down and pay extra. Your buyer won't be average person, it will be the specific few, but those few will be the least time wasting ones.

New shape 330i is out of my own budget, but my first choice definitely would be older 530i or 430i or 330i, but those are pretty much non existent here.

There was a significant price difference between a 330i and 330e when brand new as the 330e came with SEI grants and VRT rebates. This made the 330e more popular obviously. I think the VRT rebate is being removed from hybrids from July so the price difference will be less. However with very little being imported now due to Brexit and new prices increasing I'd say the current 330e will keep it's used values strongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

The reason I personally didnt want a 330e was the compromise on the boot space and for the relatively short range on the battery - I think that is where the value may be hit on them in 3+ years where there will be a lot more options in either full electric or hybrid mode with I expect better range. So for the moment I was happy to stick with petrol. That being said there is some very good value out there now (if you can consider anything at €40K+ good value :-) )

Advertisement