Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Not sure..heard 3 separate fires last night.south westerly.. early pictures look high up on mountains...nests destroyed already confirmed..then fire moved down lower to main forest area today..next hours important..rain/wind lull needed to help fire fighters

people in kerry could smell the fire a pennisula over last night/today.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭LilacNails

dobman88 wrote: »
    I've no idea. He is a car enthusiast and was just out for a spin, saw what was going on and stopped. Michelle Cooper Galvin was down there to take photos for the papers and she told him who to talk to if he wanted to volunteer. It could be something as simple as getting drinks for the lads as they come in for a break, I didnt ask him.

It seems like the kind of situation they will need volunteers for but I dont know how things will work cos of covid. Might be worth contacting someone before heading down to see if they need a pair of hands.

I wouldn't know anyone out there..... If anyone hears of anything or any help needed, would appreciate if it could be posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

LilacNails wrote: »
    I wouldn't know anyone out there..... If anyone hears of anything or any help needed, would appreciate if it could be posted here.

They were sent home at 9pm and told they weren't needed. He said there was about 10 lads waiting to volunteer if needed but they were told that emergency personnel had enough manpower about 9pm so hopefully that's a good sign.

If ever there was a night a drop of rain was needed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

They were sent home at 9pm and told they weren't needed. He said there was about 10 lads waiting to volunteer if needed but they were told that emergency personnel had enough manpower about 9pm so hopefully that's a good sign.

If ever there was a night a drop of rain was needed

Thats unlikely to happen tonight

• Advertisement

Sunday morning update... fire still going

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40274054.html

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

To get the fire extinguished this quickly is an absolutely monumental effort by all involved. The one in 84 burned for a number of weeks and this was on a similar scale according to those who remember that one. Well done to all emergency personnel involved.

https://twitter.com/countykerry/status/1386701437296590850?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I walked this morning in the Demesne - on high ground where the horse trail is located.
    There's a bench overlooking the beautiful view of the mountains and lake, and I decided to sit for a few minutes to enjoy it.
    What a shock it was to see evidence that someone had lit a fire in front of the bench. It was a campfire type with remains of ash and some scorched branches. There was a number of dry grass tufts nearby and I imagine it could well easily have been another tragic, careless act to the park.

• Advertisement

I walked this morning in the Demesne - on high ground where the horse trail is located.
    There's a bench overlooking the beautiful view of the mountains and lake, and I decided to sit for a few minutes to enjoy it.
    What a shock it was to see evidence that someone had lit a fire in front of the bench. It was a campfire type with remains of ash and some scorched branches. There was a number of dry grass tufts nearby and I imagine it could well easily have been another tragic, careless act to the park.

Yep. I saw the Killarney Brewing Company on Instagram posting a photo of them with a camp fire lit while they looked across the lake at the park burning. Pure stupidity with the weather and situation that was going on but it's amazing how people justify things to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭newaccount2017

I just saw that post that the Killarney Brewing Company put on their Instagram story, wow... how idiotic can one be? I know that they were just reposting someone else's picture but just show's that they couldn't give a toss about the park and the damage caused.

Pathetic

Pathetic

The iamofkerry account has #PrayForThePark under the pic and the lad who took the original has "Some people just want to watch the world burn" without a hint of irony or self awareness in either. Complete morons

The iamofkerry account has #PrayForThePark under the pic and the lad who took the original has "Some people just want to watch the world burn" without a hint of irony or self awareness in either. Complete morons

It's crazy. I'd love to send the picture to the Guards as evidence that these people were setting fires in the park at the weekend since the Guards are trying to find out who started the fires. Endorsed by the Killarney Brewing Company too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Pathetic

Absolute idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It's crazy. I'd love to send the picture to the Guards as evidence that these people were setting fires in the park at the weekend since the Guards are trying to find out who started the fires. Endorsed by the Killarney Brewing Company too!

So please do that? Thank you. ( I love Killarney and only left as there was nowhere to rent. NB Love it here even more... lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

In the Kerrys Eye today it mentions that KCC hope to have their 400,000 euro dining pods finished at some stage in November, which is also apparently well past the date that the government is intending to have us all vaccinated.

Those pods should never have got the go ahead anyway. They basically turn outdoor dining into indoor which defeats the purpose. And, they looks absolutely terrible. What a complete waste of money that would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Those pods should never have got the go ahead anyway. They basically turn outdoor dining into indoor which defeats the purpose. And, they looks absolutely terrible. What a complete waste of money that would be.

Not to mention the fact that where they are talking about positioning it, is surely just giving the likes of the international, the lane and the plaza a free beer garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,631 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Awful things, like a 1970s wet dream of the future. And they'll be redundant in a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

oeb wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact that where they are talking about positioning it, is surely just giving the likes of the international, the lane and the plaza a free beer garden.

Pat won't like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Awful things, like a 1970s wet dream of the future. And they'll be redundant in a short time.
    Exactly, this is my biggest issue with the suggestion. Is there any long term planning ever involved in this country :pac: Outdoor dining is a temporary solution which will be forgotten about when we're back indoors (hopefully) before the end of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,631 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Exactly, this is my biggest issue with the suggestion. Is there any long term planning ever involved in this country :pac: Outdoor dining is a temporary solution which will be forgotten about when we're back indoors (hopefully) before the end of the summer.

Lol. No.
    Once some company or individual is coining out of it, it doesn't matter about the waste. It's a bit like the Evoting machines.
    Noone is going to want to eat inside a plastic igloo when this is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

IDK I reckon they'd be grand yokes for outside pubs. They have these plastic heated see-through marquees all over Eastern Europe that you can sit inside in the middle of winter and have your hot port or whatever sitting at the edge of the square and they are great. Things like this are overdue in Ireland with the weather we have tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Although yes, for Covid it would be hard to come up with a thicker idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Any pics

keane2097 wrote: »
    IDK I reckon they'd be grand yokes for outside pubs. They have these plastic heated see-through marquees all over Eastern Europe that you can sit inside in the middle of winter and have your hot port or whatever sitting at the edge of the square and they are great. Things like this are overdue in Ireland with the weather we have tbh.

I'd be absolutely in favour of creating something like this for year round use. That's not the issue. The issue was it created indoor dining outside which defeats the entire purpose

keane2097 wrote: »
    Although yes, for Covid it would be hard to come up with a thicker idea.

Missed this before replying.

Yeah, agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

I'd be absolutely in favour of creating something like this for year round use. That's not the issue. The issue was it created indoor dining outside which defeats the entire purpose

It may reignite a proper discussion regarding pedestrianisation of the town centre and a better use of Plunkett St and Main St.
    A Band Stand, proper Farmers Market, look at the amount of Food Trucks serving great food, Street Entertainment and much more

Advertisement