Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭blindsider

The pinch points on this road, for me, are:

Towards Carrigaline:

- End of the Climbing lane at the top of the hill (medium impact)

- Traffic in and out of the filling station - sudden braking, cars exiting dangerously, people crossing the road, trucks parked on the hard shoulder (high impact)

- Shanbally roundabout - the usual mix of drivers who don't know how how to use a roundabout

Towards Cork:

- Shanbally - as above

- the climbing lane which people use to pass queueing traffic, causing frustration, and forcing their way in to single lane again (medium impact)

- The Bloomfield interchange - cars swapping lanes in a complete mess (potentially severe impact)

IMO:

Sort out the filling station - no turning into it from Carrigaline direction, and mark out entry/exit lanes on the southbound carriageway. Stop haphazard, dangerous and illegal parking just outside the site.

Re-visit the Bloomfield interchange - look a the lanes and markings again - surely an expert can come up with a better paln.

Is the m/way built yet? :D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

... and also that for the region it serves, the road just doesn't have the capacity for the traffic it needs to carry. Narrow S2 just isn't enough.

Edit: And its also not suitable as the route to Ringaskiddy port.

Think of all of the new routes Rosslare got due to Brexit. Cork got none. That is due to geography but also due to the capacity of the N28.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

The existing N28 cant cope with the huge volume of traffic.

Ive said this numerous times over the years along with other people using that road.

Another pinch point is the sliproad coming onto the N28 from Maryborough Hill, its too short.

Theres more and more houses popping up in the Maryborough Hill area which will lead to increased traffic, A M28 along with a decent link road should help the problem but the Nimby Brigade got the project delayed by several years much to everyones annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

mikeym wrote: »
    The existing N28 cant cope with the huge volume of traffic.

Ive said this numerous times over the years along with other people using that road.

Another pinch point is the sliproad coming onto the N28 from Maryborough Hill, its too short.

Theres more and more houses popping up in the Maryborough Hill area which will lead to increased traffic, A M28 along with a decent link road should help the problem but the Nimby Brigade got the project delayed by several years much to everyones annoyance.

Part of the purpose of the new road was to improve connectivity around Douglas and Rochestown. Half they’re argument was to say that it would result in traffic chaos which is nonsense.

The existing road definitely can't cope! My suggestions above are sticking plaster on a bandage on an old wound...

@Mikeym - 100% correct - I omitted that one.

I guess my point is, that the Motorway is 7 yrs away - some of these points above could be implelemnted over the summer (when traffic is lighter) before a full return to traffic peaks in September - why not introduce small, cost-effective and non-disruptive improvements now, rather than waiting for 2027/8 ......

anyone have contacts in TII or Cork City Council?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,646 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The standard of driving has nose dived since COVID. Nearly had a person come at me head on earlier today.

This is a very valid point. Driving is a skill, and like any skill it needs regular practise to be good at it. With so many now stuck at home or their immediate locality for the last year, it's probably not surprising that the standard has so noticeably fallen.

(of course, this will be used to justify more anti-car measures as Dublin CC are at at the moment)

Completely agree with the suggestions/observations above though. I'm in that area a fair bit (although not for a few months) and that stretch of the N28 from the roundabout to the flyover/top of the hill is shockingly bad. Unless it's changed recently, the piss-poor surfacing has been an issue as long as I've used it, the merge lanes are a mess, and I have no notion what the intent was with the lane marking as you get to the roundabout. It turns into a race to not get stuck at the pinch point on the Carrigaline entry and not get side-swiped by cars wandering between the lanes on the turn.

I always liken the N40-N28 exit to the M50-N7 on one side, and the N28-N40 as the Liffey Valley merge to the N4 on the other. A complete mess of traffic trying to get across multiple lanes in the same limited time/space. How any of these junctions were approved is a mystery.

I do have to say though that one thing that ALWAYS stands out to me about driving around Cork and that area in particular is the lack of use of indicators - especially with the number of roundabouts in Carrigaline. It's not exclusively a Cork issue of course, but it does seem to be very bad IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pos087

Heard the motorway is starting in a years time from sales rep of suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Pos087 wrote: »
    Heard the motorway is starting in a years time from sales rep of suppliers

Depending on what is meant by "starting" that's more or less in line with what was expected, a bit earlier if it means actual construction.

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Depending on what is meant by "starting" that's more or less in line with what was expected, a bit earlier if it means actual construction.

Hi. He says there is a year left in dunkettle and construction moving to Ringaskiddy road then. I for one am delighted. Travel from Ringaskiddy to the city everyday. Takes the trucks away from our front doors on the Main Street Ringaskiddy. Planning permission for the new dock yard was that trucks would use new entrance at the start of Ringaskiddy. To be fair a lot of drivers use this entrance but many use the one at far side of Ringaskiddy driving through the village.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Isn't there supposed to be a 2-3 years of preparatory works, with actual construction not due to begin until after then?

Work won't automatically move from Dunkettle either as there's no guarantee that the same contractor will get the contract.

• Advertisement

Isn't there supposed to be a 2-3 years of preparatory works, with actual construction not due to begin until after then?

Work won't automatically move from Dunkettle either as there's no guarantee that the same contractor will get the contract.

Of course. The comments above are complete conjecture / pub talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

So what is happening right now?

Preparing tender documentation for prelim works?

So what is happening right now?

Preparing tender documentation for prelim works?

They were staking out the Ringaskiddy end last month. Not sure if this is being done the length of the road or not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Would it be possible to build the non-motorway part at Ringaskiddy on its own and later build the motorway after enabling works have been completed?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Would it be possible to build the non-motorway part at Ringaskiddy on its own and later build the motorway after enabling works have been completed?

That would require splitting the project which is almost always a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Finally, the Supreme Court's determination on the petition for leave to appeal to the Supreme Court has been uploaded to the courts.ie website. The determination is short and to the point and is available here

Bear in mind that this wasn't a hearing in relation to the road, it was a panel meeting (of three Supreme Court Judges, including the Chief Justice on this occasion) to consider whether or not the M28 shower's application raised exceptional circumstances warranting a direct appeal to the Supreme Court. As we already knew the panel decided, in the plainest terms, that it didn't thereby vindicating Justice Michael McGrath's original decision in the High Court and also his refusal to allow an appeal to the Court of Appeal.

As expected, the petition made no mention whatsoever of the multitude of spurious emotional issues concocted by the steering group over the years. The grounds related exclusively to Ballyhemiken quarry. The determination also cast new light on the issue of the quarry extraction rate which Harrington referred to in his final statement of failure in which he warned that he would, like the Skibereen Eagle, be watching. It will be interesting to see how TII handle this going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

Hibernicis wrote: »
    The grounds related exclusively to Ballyhemiken quarry. The determination also cast new light on the issue of the quarry extraction rate which Harrington referred to in his final statement of failure in which he warned that he would, like the Skibereen Eagle, be watching. It will be interesting to see how TII handle this going forward.

So in layman's terms, the SC has said that anybody is free to bring fresh proceedings if extraction at the quarry exceeds what is authorised under a 2008 planning decision, but this has nothing to do with the M28 planning application?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

i was on Maryborough hill for the first time in a while today. The old house by the link road to the N28 looks like it is being torn down. There are barriers up, I saw furniture outside, the upstairs windows were opened and there were high vis visible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

i was on Maryborough hill for the first time in a while today. The old house by the link road to the N28 looks like it is being torn down. There are barriers up, I saw furniture outside, the upstairs windows were opened and there were high vis visible

I was told recently that teenagers had accessed that house and were doing as they do in there so it needed to be secured.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender out for archaelogical consultancy services for the project.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders/ViewNotice/247275

Estimated value €6.4m

• Advertisement

Has a civil contractor been appointed yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

kub wrote: »
    Has a civil contractor been appointed yet ?

Three years of enabling works (Archaeology/ Utiltiies/Fencing etc) then D&B procurment process

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

When do ye think the maryboro hill slip road will be closed?

When do ye think the maryboro hill slip road will be closed?

Surely not until that new Carrs Hill intersection is completed and in operation?

Interesting to see if one end of the scheme will be prioritised for build.

I’d like to see the Douglas end prioritised from Bloomfield to where the Old Carrigaline road starts.

I'd say it'll all be one scheme TBH. At a wild guess, the Bloomfield construction will be complex so would take the longest. Can they actually start this scheme before Dunkettle is finished though? Or is there a recommendation that both not be done at once?

I'd say it'll all be one scheme TBH. At a wild guess, the Bloomfield construction will be complex so would take the longest. Can they actually start this scheme before Dunkettle is finished though? Or is there a recommendation that both not be done at once?

Doubt it would start before Dunkettle ends purely due to timing.

Dunkettle is due Q1 2024

It'd be great if they could get ahead of target....

It'd also be great if they used a correct image! Thats the Macroom bypass.

Actually its funny, thats a picture of the Macroom bypass, about the Dunkettle project, in the Ringaskiddy thread!!!!

• Advertisement

Nice to see some work being undertaken. The road looks staked out and all safety around electrical wires and pylons are in place down in Ringaskiddy.

Advertisement