Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphones For Turntable Listening

• 30-04-2021 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I have a budget of around 200 euro and I am looking for headphones to plug into my new Schiit Magni so I can enjoy my vinyl late at night. I've narrowed it down to these:

- Sennheiser HD 25
    - DT 770 Pro
    - ATH-M50X
    - AKG K371

Now, where I listen is very quiet so I am not opposed to open back if you guys think that there is a really good option in that price range. Any advice is greatly welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Hi folks, I have a budget of around 200 euro and I am looking for headphones to plug into my new Schiit Magni so I can enjoy my vinyl late at night. I've narrowed it down to these:

- Sennheiser HD 25
    - DT 770 Pro
    - ATH-M50X
    - AKG K371

Now, where I listen is very quiet so I am not opposed to open back if you guys think that there is a really good option in that price range. Any advice is greatly welcomed.

HD 25 if you're listening to techno, Beyer Dynamic if not.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Maybe a tiny bit above budget, but don't discount the AKG K712 Pros, I know a few have them on here and they're fantastic,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Maybe a tiny bit above budget, but don't discount the AKG K712 Pros, I know a few have them on here and they're fantastic,

I could probably stretch to that if people think they are that good. Cheers.

While I’m here - I had planned getting a Schiit Magni 3 as a headphone amp but I cannot get it anywhere online. Any suggestions for an alternative?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I could probably stretch to that if people think they are that good. Cheers.

While I’m here - I had planned getting a Schiit Magni 3 as a headphone amp but I cannot get it anywhere online. Any suggestions for an alternative?

Head fi k712 pro reviews Have a look there, quite a decent range of reviews, and you should get a decent idea of their strengths and weaknesses, and if they are what you are looking for.

In terms of the amp, maybe have a look at the Topping A50 or the A50s. I've a good few Topping devices and they are excellent. I'm not 100% on the difference between the 50 and the 50s, so probably worth a bit of research.

I haven't used one myself but read good things about the Ifi audio Zen Can.

Both the Topping and Ifi are available on Amazon or Audiophonics.

HD 25 if you're listening to techno, Beyer Dynamic if not.

Cheers. Wouldn’t be into techno so looking into the BD’s now.

• Advertisement

Head fi k712 pro reviews Have a look there, quite a decent range of reviews, and you should get a decent idea of their strengths and weaknesses, and if they are what you are looking for.

In terms of the amp, maybe have a look at the Topping A50 or the A50s. I've a good few Topping devices and they are excellent. I'm not 100% on the difference between the 50 and the 50s, so probably worth a bit of research.

I haven't used one myself but read good things about the Ifi audio Zen Can.

Both the Topping and Ifi are available on Amazon or Audiophonics.

Excellent. Thanks a million for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭SVI40

I've always liked Bowers and Wilkins. Have a look at their range.

SVI40 wrote: »
    I've always liked Bowers and Wilkins. Have a look at their range.

Will do. Never own a pair but always admire their look.

Hey folks, what do you think about these? I was thinking of a cheeky low ball offer of €120

https://www.adverts.ie/headphones-earphones/drop-hifiman-he4xx-planar-headphones/23240080#comment_142313090

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Hey folks, what do you think about these? I was thinking of a cheeky low ball offer of €120

https://www.adverts.ie/headphones-earphones/drop-hifiman-he4xx-planar-headphones/23240080#comment_142313090

Wouldn't risk second hand myself. Can be very unhygienic.

• Advertisement

I have a pair of them and they are very good. That pair you linked look like they were looked after. I'd go for it if you're interested in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Ha! I was looking at that add myself. BUT after doing some research there is a NEW version of that model that is said to be an improvement.

Reviews here. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=400i+2020

It seems to have the sound sig I'm looking for, but so does the AKG previously mentioned. Can't make my mind up. I prefer the hammock form factor of the AKG and the Hifiman looks a little heavy. I would like to try a planar though. Hence can't make up my mind.

I’m nervous about open backed headphones as I’ve never tried them before. I’d love to try first but the shops aren’t open.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Ha! I was looking at that add myself. BUT after doing some research there is a NEW version of that model that is said to be an improvement.

Reviews here. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=400i+2020

It seems to have the sound sig I'm looking for, but so does the AKG previously mentioned. Can't make my mind up. I prefer the hammock form factor of the AKG and the Hifiman looks a little heavy. I would like to try a planar though. Hence can't make up my mind.

What do you mean by “the hammock form factor”?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What do you mean by “the hammock form factor”?

Oh sorry, it's just a term some use to describe heaphones that have a particulary type of automaticly adjusting headband like these.

X2_00-IMS-en_GB?wid=840&hei=720&$jpglarge$

thumb_d_gallery_base_c6b5acba.jpg

Hammock because looks like hammaock. Non-hammock styles you have to manually adjust yourself.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Oh sorry, it's just a term some use to describe heaphones that have a particulary type of automaticly adjusting headband like these.

Hammock because looks like hammaock. Non-hammock styles you have to manually adjust yourself.

Ah right, got ya, thanks. Everyday is a school day!

Advertisement