Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much discount on forecourt price for 2nd hand car?

Options
  • 29-04-2021 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

If a garage/dealership has a car advertised at say €20k, is there an average of how much less they'd let it go for? Would it be 10%, or even 20%? Looking for a family car, with a budget of about €18k. Current car is probably only worth about €2k in a private sale.
    Some cars that are advertised for about €23k are a lot nicer than the ones advertised for €18k (obviously), I’m wondering what I’d get the €23k one for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭kil

Little to none in my experience. Car market has changed a lot now with cars being viewed and bought remotely rather than face to face so there is no real negotiation to be done so the price is the 'best' price and is up front. Often you will see cans advertised at €12,950 with a caveat that its a straight deal price and that the price with a trade in is €13,950

20% discount was never realistic unless the retail price was wildly over inflated to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 21,361 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This year was the first time I ever paid sticker price for a second hand car. It was advertised at 1500, and delivered to my door.
    Covid is changing a lot of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not just Covid, Brexit too. The same level of used cars are not coming into the country because they cost alot more to import now due to additional taxes. New cars are also harder to get because of part shortages so people are turning to nearly new or used cars instead which is increasing demand on a supply that is already low.

You also cannot apply a discount percentage across the board on all used cars, it doesn't work that way as not all cars are equal, there are many factors that determin the market value of a car. Make, model, mileage, condition and how much demand there is for it. The important thing is to find out is how much these particular models are selling for and work on a discount figure rather than percentage if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

Yeah since Brexit there is very little movement in asking prices

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

So are the garages making more money on 2nd hand cars these days than they would have before Brexit? I suppose they're making less money selling new cars these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

New car regs only down 3% this year, and there’s no hire cars to bump up the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

wall wrote: »
    So are the garages making more money on 2nd hand cars these days than they would have before Brexit? I suppose they're making less money selling new cars these days.

Dealers have to pay 10% customs on imports now and increased VRT costs which is why there is not much haggling anymore. Instead of significantly upping the advertising prices it seems like now the price is the price with no haggling.

It seems the value of Irish cars has increased too due to the increased costs of importing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

They're making less I would say, stock is a lot more difficult to find so most have cut margins to keep things moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

If a garage/dealership has a car advertised at say €20k, is there an average of how much less they'd let it go for? Would it be 10%, or even 20%? Looking for a family car, with a budget of about €18k. Current car is probably only worth about €2k in a private sale.
    Some cars that are advertised for about €23k are a lot nicer than the ones advertised for €18k (obviously), I’m wondering what I’d get the €23k one for?

FWIW I know someone who paid €27k for a car with a ticket price of €27,900.
    UK import and a long standing dealer. ( Not a brand dealer).

This person would be a good haggler.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There's no set amount.

It all depends on how motivated the seller is. That in turn will be determined by stuff like:-

1/. Time of year. End of month/quarter is important on new cars. Targets and bonuses are at stake, and volume discounts and dealer rebates and incentives are in play also.

2/. How well priced or otherwise the car being sold is. If it's high you'll potentially get more off the asking price. Doesn't mean it's a better deal than a well priced competitor who allows less discount, but that's frequently misunderstood.

3/. Model life span. If there's a new version due haggle hard.

4/. How long the car is in stock - always ask and if it's been there a while ask why. Try and keep a straight face.

• Advertisement
Advertisement