Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Overlooked TV shows

• 28-04-2021 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

We hear about the likes of Breaking Bad, Sopranos and The Wire constantly. What are some of your tv shows that don't get the recognition they deserve.

For me it's Broadchurch. I genuinely think it's one of the greatest tv shows ever made and storytelling at its best.

Some people might say Broadchurch is very popular, but I think it deserves a place up there with Sopranos, BB, Game of Thrones, etc,...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭billyhead

JackTC wrote: »
    We hear about the likes of Breaking Bad, Sopranos and The Wire constantly. What are some of your tv shows that don't get the recognition they deserve.

For me it's Broadchurch. I genuinely think it's one of the greatest tv shows ever made and storytelling at its best.

Some people might say Broadchurch is very popular, but I think it deserves a place up there with Sopranos, BB, Game of Thrones, etc,...

Seen it. It's very good. The chemistry between the 2 leads is brilliant.

• Site Banned Posts: 32 AmyMurphy22

Is the sopranos really that good?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Homicide Life on the Street you don't have those HBO shows without it.

Babylon 5 the show that gave us a full story told over 5 seasons where every episode was a chapter in that story with no standalone episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Yes

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Banshee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A one season show The Unusuals think it lead the way for Brooklyn Nine Nine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Halt and catch fire. Superb writing, characters that you become invested in and a great premise. It was like saying goodbye to good friends when it ended. Four seasons seemed the perfect length as well. Over looked perhaps due to the tremendous amount of quality TV around at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Southland

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Ajin

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yes

I think it's the only long series I stuck with from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Two that spring to mind
    - Party down
    - you're the worst

Another one which I really enjoyed was bunheads very light and fun (same writer as the Gilmore girls)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Giri Haji
    Lilyhammer
    Kingdom
    Narcos
    The Night Of

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrenMar

What we do in the Shadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

The Leftovers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The Leftovers

A massively acclaimed show

Not really overlooked at all

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Justified

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Action

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yes.

Currently rewatching it and its as good as I remember it all those years ago, maybe better.

For me, best TV boxset show ever. And its over 20 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yes.

Currently rewatching it and its as good as I remember it all those years ago, maybe better.

For me, best TV boxset show ever. And its over 20 years old.

I've rewatched a number of times, and it has aged really well. It gets funnier too as you get to know what motivates and frustrates the various characters.

I almost envy anyone who hasn't seen it, they have the whole series before them including the Pine Barrens episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 eddiervp20

Has to be Kingdom for me, Some great acting in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

blackwave wrote: »
    Justified

Definitely. The cast throughout the whole show was superb, some great characters in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Sense 8.
    Utopia - the English original.
    Back - Mitchell and Webb reunited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Justified
    Banshee
    Leftovers

I know all are critically held in high regard, but they're a long way from the mass presence if the usual heavyweights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Rectify. One of the best shows ever.

Yup. I've been flying through a re-watch.
    I've rewatched a number of times, and it has aged really well. It gets funnier too as you get to know what motivates and frustrates the various characters.
    The amount of laughing and cringing I'm doing on this re-watch is unreal. So many sideways looks I hadn't caught before, seeing innocent foundations for what happens later. It really is incredible in every sense.

Banshee was a very welcome surprise considering how sceptical I was.

Seems gritty crime is the most popular theme so allow me to continue that with warrior.

Season 1 and 2 on hbomax now having been created by cinemax then cancelled. Hbomax just renewed it for season 3. Excellent version of the bruce lee idea based on Chinatown in san Francisco during the tong wars.

From a sci fi genre, korean show 'sweet home' was far better than it's synopsis would suggest. They seem to have an ability for character creation that still manages great characters and unnerving monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Yes. The best tv show ever. Basically changed TV forever. I've rewatched it numerous times, and it's still class.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

HBO's Rome, I really loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭billyhead

The Shield is brilliant.

• Advertisement

Quarry - just 8 episodes but worth a look.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2980696/

Advertisement