Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mare Of Easttown | HBO *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

hmmm why would you cast guy pearce

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

hmmm why would you cast guy pearce

He is a decent actor

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

New trailer

Starts April 18th on HBO in the States, I'd imagine Sky Atlantic will have it her.

A slow burning opening episode and I really enjoyed it.

Kate Winslet's screen presence is just so captivating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Looking forward to starting this after wasting several hours of my life watching Your Honour

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Bit of a slow start but picked up towards the end of the episode, will tune in next week to see how it goes.

Not a very likeable bunch of characters though, especially Mare who seems to be a bad mannered alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I thought this was very well done but you'd expect that from anything that HBO are involved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just watched episode one...I thought that was a cracking first episode.
    Top notch cast.
    Kind of reminded me of happy caller oddly, looking forward to episode 2

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I really enjoyed episode 1. Looking forward to what is to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homelander

Excellent first episode. Loved every second, proper drama with an excellent cast.

Some serious good acting going on in this show.

That ending this week really is the classic small town and it's secrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Strong second episode. Kate Winslet is excellent as Mare. You could see how she has kept everything bottled up about her Son.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

watched the first two together, the scene setting and slow start in Ep 1 was brilliant.

I thought it was obvious from early on what was happening
    with the young girl going to meet her new fella
    but I was not prepared for
    it to be the new girlfriend and just how vicious she was. She's not the killer though.

lots of interpersonal relationships to unravel.

I thought Winslet was top notch, she's a very good actor though, the supporting cast is doing a great job too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Top notch episode 2.
    Kinda glad it's weekly, Winslet is terrific

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I'm really impressed by this. Very strong and engrossing character-based drama. Winslet is absolutely fantastic. I'm completely invested in her character due to her performance. She's captivating without being too showy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's great, a bit melodramatic at times but I like it. I was just asking my friend why super suave handsome writer professor Guy Pearce would be interested in a rough granny with a limp, seems a bit far fetched. But then it's usually the bloke banging someone way out of their league so it's nice for a change!
    It looks like Deer Hunter land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

It's great, a bit melodramatic at times but I like it. I was just asking my friend why super suave handsome writer professor Guy Pearce would be interested in a rough granny with a limp, seems a bit far fetched. But then it's usually the bloke banging someone way out of their league so it's nice for a change!

Kate Winslet looks like a Rough granny? You need to go to Specsavers pal!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Oh she's bloody gorgeous but I think they've purposely kind of roughed her up a bit for this role no?!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Great second episode. The story is building nicely.

They're fond of Rolling Rock beer on this show! Think it's a Pennsylvania beer. I don't think I've seen it in Ireland in 15-20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I think there's more to the interest this dude has shown in Mare than meets the eye, unfortunately it's exactly because he's a suave silver fox and she's a grizzled aul wan - and also because it seems to be a well-layered and well-written drama, they don't just throw in a soapy love story for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Oh she's bloody gorgeous but I think they've purposely kind of roughed her up a bit for this role no?!
    Actually no, apparently she's not wearing any makeup at all (except for at the party for Guy Pearse, obviously). Supposedly it's the same for a lot of the actors in it. Pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Final Boss

Brilliant show. Love the dark backdrop. The whole tone of it is spot on. Great casting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Cina wrote: »
    Actually no, apparently she's not wearing any makeup at all (except for at the party for Guy Pearse, obviously). Supposedly it's the same for a lot of the actors in it. Pretty cool.

Yeah, I suspected this was the case rather than actively "roughing her up". I think she looks great for a 45 year old wearing no makeup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mollser

Mr.S wrote: »
    Good first episode, if a little slow but sets it it all up nicely I think.

The concept is getting a a bit receptive though, I've lost track how many 'small town murder mystery' show's I've watched on BBC / Netflix and HBO over the last 2 years - hopefully this one cuts through.

Hi Mr S

Would you have any recommendations for similar on Netflix other than Ozark and Bloodline? We love these sort of shows, haven't come accross many of them the last few years, especially ones that don't turn into some sort of supernatural or similar sh!te! I know BBC are excellent for the foreign ones, keep missing those though.

Absolutely glued to this the last 2 nights, I think its really excellent - really strong and quick character development, going to be some dark stuff I think!

Cheers!

Just watched Ep1, bloody brilliant and Kate Winslet so good. Was going to get on with other things but now starting Ep2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

gmisk wrote: »
    Top notch episode 2.
    Kinda glad it's weekly, Winslet is terrific

She's an amazing actress, that scene when she was talking to the therapist about her grandson was an an incredible piece of acting.

Episode 2 was excellent, can't wait for the next!

I think Jean Smart also adds to any show she is involved in

• Advertisement

I'd love to be able to watch all the episodes together, loved the first 2, can't wait for the next one.

Advertisement