Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon prime scam

Options
  • 29-01-2021 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Weird one - We got a call to our landline yesterday, asking if we wanted to continue using Amazon prime. My son (14) answered and straight away put them on to me. I just hung up, although I'm interested as to what they were going to ask if I said NO.

To be clear, Amazon doesn't use our landline number, I don't use prime and hardly ever use Amazon anyway.

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It's a scam, look you jib browning youtube channel he explains it well. Basically they convince you somebody is using your details to buy expensive items, they do a fake refund and clean your back account out.

They won't take you off their call list but next time they call tell them you don't have a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Agree Jim Browning or Scammer Payback (although Pierogi is very american based) gives a great insight into the scammer call centres.

Tec Diver wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Weird one - We got a call to our landline yesterday, asking if we wanted to continue using Amazon prime. My son (14) answered and straight away put them on to me. I just hung up, although I'm interested as to what they were going to ask if I said NO.

To be clear, Amazon doesn't use our landline number, I don't use prime and hardly ever use Amazon anyway.

Eoin

If you had said yes they would have said they need to update your payment details, take your credit card details from you and before you know it theres a massive charge on your bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

An elderly relative fell for this today. He was asked same question and was told by a lady scammer that to stop being charged by Amazon he needed to download an app - which he did. There was then a discussion where the lady asked him to call out numbers that should have appeared on his screen once he downloaded the app. He couldnt see any numbers and he had a to and from with the scammer lady for 5 mins about this before she hung up. Not sure if she was keeping him on the line or if she was pissed off as she needed those numbers for her scam.

Not sure of app yet (it wasn't team viewer) but presumably it gave remote access to phone. We learned of this a half hour after the call and had him turn off his phone and WiFi. We have notified his banks who have seen no unusual activity and are on notice now. We are going to do a factory reset on his phone later.

Any thoughts? What were they up to? Beyond bank and credit card accounts, do we need to look out for anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

An elderly relative fell for this today. He was asked same question and was told by a lady scammer that to stop being charged by Amazon he needed to download an app - which he did. There was then a discussion where the lady asked him to call out numbers that should have appeared on his screen once he downloaded the app. He couldnt see any numbers and he had a to and from with the scammer lady for 5 mins about this before she hung up. Not sure if she was keeping him on the line or if she was pissed off as she needed those numbers for her scam.

Not sure of app yet (it wasn't team viewer) but presumably it gave remote access to phone. We learned of this a half hour after the call and had him turn off his phone and WiFi. We have notified his banks who have seen no unusual activity and are on notice now. We are going to do a factory reset on his phone later.

Any thoughts? What were they up to? Beyond bank and credit card accounts, do we need to look out for anything else?

Did he install the app on his phone or on a computer?

When you factory reset an android phone it will pull in any apps that were installed from the play store so check through them to make sure it doesn't get reinstalled. Check the phone and see if you can find the last app installed maybe you can just remove it.
    They probably sent them a link and it probably wasn't an app from the play store or i store.

Also try not to blow away the contacts see if they can be synced with an account.

Ask more questions before you reset it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Did he install the app on his phone or on a computer?

When you factory reset an android phone it will pull in any apps that were installed from the play store so check through them to make sure it doesn't get reinstalled. Check the phone and see if you can find the last app installed maybe you can just remove it.
    They probably sent them a link and it probably wasn't an app from the play store or i store.

Also try not to blow away the contacts see if they can be synced with an account.

Ask more questions before you reset it.

It was on his phone. Seems pretty sure it was through the play store. He had to search the play store for a particular app she identified. He doesn't remember the name. I will try to identify it before doing any factory reset

I answered this call today. I fupped them about too, for fun, basically played a timesink o them.

I reported the site to Microsoft and Google. PM me for the URL, it even has a secure certificate.

Advertisement