Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tomorrow War - Chris Pratt - Amazon

• 28-04-2021 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭

Drops July 2nd.

Directed by Chris McKay
    In The TOMORROW WAR, the world is stunned when a group of time travelers arrive from the year 2051 to deliver an urgent message: Thirty years in the future mankind is losing a global war against a deadly alien species. The only hope for survival is for soldiers and civilians from the present to be transported to the future and join the fight. Among those recruited is high school teacher and family man Dan Forester (Chris Pratt). Determined to save the world for his young daughter, Dan teams up with a brilliant scientist (Yvonne Strahovski) and his estranged father (J.K. Simmons) in a desperate quest to rewrite the fate of the planet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Strong Independence Day vibes from this, even down to the release date.

I always enjoy big-budget explodey movies from a turn-your-brain-off perspective, but I'm not sure this won't be insanely cheesy with a really obvious twist at the end lifted straight from Oblivion.

Also, outside of Marvel and Jurassic World, Pratt's stuff has been more miss than hit. Maybe he just picks anything that sounds like fun rather than worrying about success. It's not like he needs the money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

From the Writer of Reshoots to Dolittle ... :pac:

Is this Amazon's first open blockbuster then? Not much to the trailer, but we'll see. I'm really tapped out on Chris Pratt at this stage. I like his Starlord and as a Parks & Rec fan he'll always be Andy Dwyer to me; but all these Handsome Hero Man roles leave me cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'd give it a look.
    But how can people from the past fight in the future? :p

If your 20 year old self went forward and died. Then your 50 year old self who's also fighting would disappear. What if you had a 20 year old son in the future too. He'd be gone too.

These are the type of questions that keep me up at night folks. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I'll say this - it's a completely new idea. Not based on any books or graphic novels. It's a shame Paramount sold it to Amazon but I'm guessing they got spooked and greenlit a few Transformers reboots instead.

Cautiously optimistic. Loved Edge of Tomorrow and if it's half as good as that I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

pixelburp wrote: »

Is this Amazon's first open blockbuster then? Not much to the trailer, but we'll see. I'm really tapped out on Chris Pratt at this stage. I like his Starlord and as a Parks & Rec fan he'll always be Andy Dwyer to me; but all these Handsome Hero Man roles leave me cold.

As a cocky funny leading man especially Starlord I like him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Not sure of the budget for Without Remorse but perhaps that is the first. Both movies were originally from Paramount though. In terms of big budget, entirely Prime endeavours it seems most of their money is going on that Lord of the Rings TV series.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Looking very by the numbers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno whether I'm just having a slow day, but I can't get my head around that premise. It makes no sense to me, insofar as time-travel plots ever can. Sending people from the past into the future to fight a war? How is that NOT opening up a tonne of paradox issues straight off the bat? Just looks like someone said "starring Chris Pratt", and the executives went "great! When do we start shooting?"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You'd think an alien species that was going to wipe us out wouldn't be compromised by just sending more grunts with small arms.

Looks fun but definitely not one to overthink!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭crushproof

Looks like a "don't look for any plot holes" kind of movie.

Not a fan of Pratt but I'll have the popcorn ready for a good old alien disaster flick. JK Simmons may save it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I dunno whether I'm just having a slow day, but I can't get my head around that premise. It makes no sense to me, insofar as time-travel plots ever can. Sending people from the past into the future to fight a war? How is that NOT opening up a tonne of paradox issues straight off the bat? Just looks like someone said "starring Chris Pratt", and the executives went "great! When do we start shooting?"

we need 2 bags of Popcorn to Pixelburp STAT!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

can't get my head around that premise. It makes no sense to me, insofar as time-travel plots ever can. Sending people from the past into the future to fight a war? How is that NOT opening up a tonne of paradox issues

I'm in the same boat. I assume there might be a trick like
    Ender's game
    or there's gonna be some sciencing explaining in the film.. or it could be just .. wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

It's late and I'm not going to watch the trailer, but the premise in the book was that time dilation meant that a 'tour of service', to use what sounds like an Americanism, of a few years meant returning to Earth decades later. Every time the protagonist returns, there are dramatic changes. I think it's more a parable for the alienation of returning soldiers than anything else.

mikhail wrote: »
    It's late and I'm not going to watch the trailer, but the premise in the book was that time dilation meant that a 'tour of service', to use what sounds like an Americanism, of a few years meant returning to Earth decades later. Every time the protagonist returns, there are dramatic changes. I think it's more a parable for the alienation of returning soldiers than anything else.

I think you're thinking of The Forever War, which was a (most excellent) book from the 60s about soldiers returning from deep space, time dilation caused by travelling faster than light. This is just a bunch of modern day folk going into the future to fight very generic looking aliens.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The Forever War is one of my all time SF classics.

The time issues in the book were to do with the distance travelled to the war zone, so given Earth is the battlefield here I doubt they are sullying that story.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Seems similar to a story I only half remember, with people from the past being taken for a war in the future, moments before their death, i.e. a plane crashes, but just before impact everyone on board vanishes into the future.

That'd avoid the obvious paradoxes created by something like this, but I've no real confidence that this will give two fecks about paradoxes or anything of the sort.

I mean, the time travel isn't the only thing bugging me. Remove Chris Pratt and it looks like something even Netflix might find a bit too generic and low effort. My brain only turns off so far ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

His best friend's a talking pie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭Niska

CatInABox wrote: »
    Seems similar to a story I only half remember, with people from the past being taken for a war in the future, moments before their death, i.e. a plane crashes, but just before impact everyone on board vanishes into the future.

Sounds like Millenium - pollution in the future has caused infertility, so they use time travel to pluck people from the past at the moment of death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_(film)

And second tangent, Forever War is one of todays daily deal on Amazon (€1.15 Kindle edition) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0061QGJI4/

• Advertisement

I'm quite surprised nobody ever managed to adapt The Forever War TBH: it's a seminal piece of modern Sci-Fi, wouldn't be an especially complex production, yet nothing has transpired. Looking at Wikipedia, the rights have floated about for decades now, with 2015 & a Channing Tatum starring adaptation the last apparent news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I think you're thinking of The Forever War, which was a (most excellent) book from the 60s about soldiers returning from deep space, time dilation caused by travelling faster than light. This is just a bunch of modern day folk going into the future to fight very generic looking aliens.
    Yes, I am. Serves me right for posting in the wee hours.

Final trailer, and it hasn't made me any more enthusiastic.

Some rando on the internet made a fair point that the more interesting, bonkers and exciting premise would have been a Bill & Ted style adventure, assembling history's greatest warriors and leaders to fight the menace. Instead, we get earnest "everyman" Chris Pratt fighting Quiet Place knock-offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Final trailer, and it hasn't made me any more enthusiastic.

just that little bit at 47-53 seconds would have me rooting for the aliens

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I was wondering why the future people didn't just get humanity to prepare defences for the future, instead of jumping to the future, but then I realised the paradox.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

What I'm thinking now is that this might just be to make a computer game like fortnite out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Looks like a fun 'leave your brain at the door' popcorn movie - I watched the last Transformers movie, it can't be that bad

once it's better than Netflix's Extraction which was an over-long crap bore-fest I'd be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes it's by Amazon I know,

https://youtu.be/QPistcpGB8o

Any chance this will be released on cinema's?

It could be good or it could be crap.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement