Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App for driving range distances on iOS

• 27-04-2021 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Looking for apps to use that will work out how far you hit a ball on the range?

I have used shot vision (the pro version) and it’s telling me the wrong distance by around 100 yards.

I don’t mind paying a one off fee if someone knows an app that’s better (doesn’t have to be perfect)

Thanks for the advice,
    Glenn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭willabur

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Hi guys

I have used shot vision (the pro version) and it’s telling me the wrong distance by around 100 yards.

I don’t mind paying a one off fee if someone knows an app that’s better (doesn’t have to be perfect)

Thanks for the advice,
    Glenn.

No phone can do that I'm afraid. You'll need launch monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

willabur wrote: »
    No phone can do that I'm afraid. You'll need launch monitor

there is an app you can get, dont know the name of it. Rick shiels reviewed it before but i wouldnt waste you money on it to be fair. a PRGR will do what you need for about 200 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Thanks for the advice,
    Glenn.

A unit that uses the phone is Rapsodo - which I think uses your phone but also is a radar unit I think (€600) I was seriously looking at the SC300 from swing caddy for driving range sessions, but over the 1st lockup went to a Skytrak launch monitor as I built an indoor range at home.

The Garmin approach was also really interesting as well as it doubles up as a GPS...

the expectation for a native app on IOS to accurately work as a launch monitor is completely unrealistic

you will need a dedicated unit OR book yourself into a trackman gapping session

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Shot Vision is the app that claims to be a launch monitor but I cannot stress just how useless it is. I posted elsewhere some results from it but here's a sample; https://imgur.com/00xoZjd

Not a single one of those are accurate, at most I might have hit one drive 250ish yards but that's it. Similarly woeful results for PW, 7i,5i and throughout the bag. It may work in a really well lit indoor environment but I'd have my doubts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

would you invest in a range finder...i bought a nikon a few years ago and it changed my game.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Nozebleed wrote: »
    would you invest in a range finder...i bought a nikon a few years ago and it changed my game.

Why? Are you on the pro tour now or what?

well as a golf tool..its 100% accurate. knowing exact club yardages makes all the difference on course. if your a low handicap and consistant ball striker a range finder is essential.

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Why? Are you on the pro tour now or what?

Is there any need for that tone to another poster who was actually trying to help the OP? Great contribution there allright, well done.
    well as a golf tool..its 100% accurate. knowing exact club yardages makes all the difference on course. if your a low handicap and consistant ball striker a range finder is essential.

Which one did you go for? Have a GPS app on my Apple Watch but tempted by a range finder. Would be useful even at the range to check if yardages are accurate.

i actually had a garmin watch for 2 years before buying the Nikon Coolshot 20 for €170..i still carry it on the bag when im out..but i found the watch was never accurate enough for approach shots..dont get me wrong it works great for rough yardages..but on occasion ive taken a yardage with the range finder while standing with the watch and the watch has been 5-10 yards out.

the watch might typically say on a par 3..145 Front 155 Mid 165 Back. which would be 9i,8i or 7i for me..with a range finder you can just point and get an exact yardage. and you eliminate 2 of the clubs straight away.

i was hitting a few on my local range on monday. 1st day back..and i was all over the place for the first 30/40 balls..it was horrible..actually forgot how bad range balls travel..every marker where i was playing from was out..the 125 marker directly in front of me was 118 yards away..when i measured the 150 was only 145 yards away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

I think that's probably the answer to a different question maybe. My read of the query is if there is an app that can measure how far he's hitting it on the range rather than how far away is the target (i.e. the flag during a round) is......

To offer something on the query, i think we're a long way off apps, paid or otherwise, being able to get close enough to bespoke launch monitors....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,037 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Garmin G80 is your only man for launch monitor plus bonus of GPS with it.

Pulled the trigger on a rapsodo mlm myself today. Bought purely for wedges. Looking forward to getting dialed in

Pulled the trigger on a rapsodo mlm myself today. Bought purely for wedges. Looking forward to getting dialed in

And then begins the wonder what next to blame my crap scores on

Let us know how it is, that's the one I have my eye on if I ever bite the bullet.

Advertisement