Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How did you score in your last round? - 2021

Options
  • 27-04-2021 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭

..................... Aaaaand breathe!!!

16 holes
    +10 = 32 points

hitting the ball super well, a bit too well as I airmailed a few greens.
    FIR and GIR were very low - 20% or so
    Putting was great from 10-20 feet. Horrible from 3 feet. Using a 2ball putter, anyone else find its much easier to use further from the hole?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

3 holes in to my first round back yesterday and I had a tap in eagle, which was so nearly an albatross.

tapineagle.jpg

This seems to be a really special ball. In the last few times out I had an almost albatross on the same hole with the same ball:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114786883&postcount=839

And then a couple of weeks later my first hole in one with the same ball:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115620213&postcount=94

I had a lost ball on 2nd hole and had a few bad breaks later in round so only finished with 14points!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

26pts off 18. Not pretty but I havent held a club in my hand in 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

8 Over on Headfort Old Front 9 yesterday and 5 over on Headfort New Back 9 this evening.

Happy with that, not sure how well I will be over 18 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

5 over for 9 holes.

Delighted with that, started first 5 holes in 1 over - so that was a pleasant surprise considering the lay off. And there were a few putts that were pure rust in that. Very weak from 5 to 8 feet - long stuff great.

Used time away from golf to do a bit of cycling , work around the house and a few hill walks.

I didn't mind the break from golf to a degree - as get to play a good bit anyway. On Monday could see the flags go in and golfers - in Portmarnock and it was a great sight. It has been a very strange time. Some friends coping better than others. Some missing golf fairly desperately.

Back out again twice this week - I feel the bug coming and the bike looking less favorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Neewollah

Great to get out this evening after the long break.

+3 for 17 holes. Unfortunately had one disaster hole as always.

Didn't feel like I played well and didn't strike the ball great but managed to get the ball around the place. Missed in all the right spots. 3 putted the 1st green from 20 ft but putted well after that.

2 birdies, 10 pars, 5 bogeys and a blow out.

It's always the 2nd round back where the rustiness shows :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Finally back on the course. Feels like forever since I was last there.

Felt great driving through the gates, and a few nerves on the first tee, but they were good nerves!

Hit a lovely draw straight out the middle of the fairway and all was well with the world.

+7 for 9 holes & 16 points. 1 bird, 1 par, 6 bogeys, 1 double.

Short game was very rusty as was pace on putts, leaving almost everything short. The double was from a 3 putt. Holed out pretty well, didnt miss anything inside 4 feet.

Drove the ball well, fairway and hybrid very poor, irons not too bad.

Was a pleasure to be back out and dodged the worst of the weather.

Course looked great. Let's hope things continue like this and we can make the most of the summer months

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

+3 for 11 holes this evening to follow a +4 for 11 last night, played back 9+ 1st and 2nd last night and played 1 to 11 tonight, Very happy with both games

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

19 points out 16 points back off 15 yesterday afternoon.
    Played in beautiful sunshine with no wind wearing shorts and tee shirt.
    @ks on the range first but thankfully left them there. Rusty around the greens but delighted with everything else even my poor strikes managed to stay in play.
    After everything we've been through the last few month,s it was just a pleasure to just be on a course, seeing the trees starting to bloom, a few red squirrels in among the trees, good company and half decent golf.
    It doesn't get much better for me, switching off, out on a course smelling the roses.
    I didn't agree but could understand what went on re golf the last few months but it's behind us now but I never want to go through it again.

2 over for 9 holes.

Played out of my skin - as conditions were near crazy.

Was cold - about 8/9 m/s wind at times.

Very good signs for the year ahead. But early days.

First bird. Great day. A bit of atmosphere building around the club. People just happy to be alive and out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CackHand

A (for me) smooth 5 over for 9 holes last night off 17. It was very dark when finishing and made double from 100 yards out in fairway on the last so may have been value for one shot lower. Hit a lot of straight tee shots which is not always my game.

This was supposed to be my farewell round to my cackhanded baseball grip. I had committed to a couple months of range only to work on conventional interlock grip prior to getting lessons for the first time ever.

A combination of the enjoyment of those 9 holes + knowing how god awful I will be with a new grip has my mind turning. A dilemma awaits :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

After a lay off of 6 months and Covid recovery (6 weeks down) I didn't know what to expect, Tried last year to break 90 (Par 70 Course) and managed 91 in my last round. Dropped the bar to a sub 100 yesterday

Surprised at how well it went. Maybe because I was not upset anymore about my slice going into the trees or my duff iron up the fairway like I would before. Just delighted to be upright and back on the course.

Driver and Irons were both good and bad but never got to marry them up on any hole so not one GIR
    Really pleased with my putting. No 3 putt and 32 putts in total. Considering that my chipping was ****e (no chip went within 6ft of the hole) very pleased with that part of the game.

94 (+24)

No bridies (not even a sniff)
    2 Pars
    9 Bogies
    6 Doubles
    1 Treble (From the fairway)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Never seen such joy and happiness on the faces of grown men!!!! Great to be back out.

Surprised at how I played reasonably ok, and seems a common response in our place. People probably playing better as they didn't care just happy to be out.

33pts playing off 16; driving well, irons ok, putting ok, chipping poor

Roll on Friday!!!

martinkop wrote: »
    Never seen such joy and happiness on the faces of grown men!!!! Great to be back out.

Surprised at how I played reasonably ok, and seems a common response in our place. People probably playing better as they didn't care just happy to be out.

33pts playing off 16; driving well, irons ok, putting ok, chipping poor

Roll on Friday!!!

I'm finding this an interesting part - how well so many are playing. I know there is almost a cliché - that a break is good.

But - I wonder is there any actual cases where a break works for some golfers.

I guess it is very different golf too - as you are playing for fun - and was often said to me in here. Massive difference with a real card in your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm finding this an interesting part - how well so many are playing. I know there is almost a cliché - that a break is good.

But - I wonder is there any actual cases where a break works for some golfers.

I guess it is very different golf too - as you are playing for fun - and was often said to me in here. Massive difference with a real card in your hand.

I think you're spot on. To take a non-golf example, the biggest improvement I made in skiing was in between the first and second years skiing. When I got home I saw videos of myself skiing and realised what felt fast was shockingly slow, I watched heaps of instructional videos and understood better the lessons I had been taught in my first week and had everything ready in my head for the next year. By the last day in my first year I was kind of getting it. By the end of the first day in the second year I was bombing down the mountain, far more in control than I had been the previous year.

And it's the same for golf sometimes. If you're playing every week, sometimes you can't take a step back to properly look at where you're at. I felt midway through this lockdown that I had my swing ready in my head for some really good golf. Basically, if I could just relax while swinging I'd shoot about 10 shots better a round (I had a lot of shots to work with). But I've lost that feeling now. Sure we'll see what happens on Saturday!

God I miss skiing!

blue note wrote: »

I had my swing ready in my head for some really good golf. Basically, if I could just relax while swinging I'd shoot about 10 shots better a round (I had a lot of shots to work with). But I've lost that feeling now. Sure we'll see what happens on Saturday!

God I miss skiing!

:D

Brilliant.

I just think I've forgotten how to play the crap golf I was playing - and some sort of hidden golfer has come out.

No doubt some of us having the new / club / new thing placebo effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

In reality, I haven't played yet in 2021. But still I've been really happy with my game for a while and now I've felt like it's fallen apart and I don't know where I'm going to hit it! When I actually write that down I'm laughing to myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

First full 18 today and we decided to play match play. Great game but I lost it on 17 to a birdie.

He finished 4 over for his round and I didn't take my 8 shots difference, so the moral victory went to myself. Everyone's a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

PARlance wrote: »
    so the moral victory went to myself

Well done on the win :)

34 pts off 22 today, first round back and first 3 holes shied it triple, double , bogey. Got a birdie on 4th and started to steady the ship. Back 9 was much better nothing worse than a bogey. Driving was awful suffering with a slice but irons were working well and putting was surprisingly good. Loved every minute off it, even the 20-30mins of hailstones. Roll on tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

2nd round of the year today and scored 34pts off 18 and honest to God I had so many cack shots in between the really good ones I should have had over 40pts!

Chipping from just off the green was really poor all day but then on the 18th I rolled one up from 20 yards away to the edge of the hole so it left me feeling a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

Shot 44 off 21 on the front 9 from white tees this morning for 20 points. Not sure what this equates to on WHS but it's my best front 9 and I'm absolutely delighted. Struggled with driver and 3w from the tee but really satisfied with everything else.

This was my 2nd outing and expected to be shooting close to 50. Quite optimistic of improving to around 15hc by the end of the year. Can't wait to get to visit some new courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Neewollah

Just in the door from my 2nd game back. Thoroughly enjoyable and great pace with the 2 balls.

37 points again off 6

2 birdies,
    5 bogeys
    1 double
    10 pars.

Some bad misses but some great scrambles too so the round balanced out.

Not striking my longer clubs great but not putting myself in any major trouble which is great

2nd round today, overall much better shot 39 off 22. Started poorly again with a triple, but went on a good run after that and was +5 for front 9, fell apart from 11- 14 with 2 triples and a double, was on for breaking 90 for for first time and started over thinking it.
    Had a long putt from just off the green for birdie on last and got too aggressive, went well by and missed the par putt for 89 and just losses concentration on a short one. Either way 91 is my best ever round, so hopefully a sign of good rounds to come, just wish I had pre-registered the round today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

Played 9 holes this evening for the third night in a row. I struck the ball brilliantly but actually didn’t hit one fairway or one green - believe that. My alignment was very rusty and couldn’t believe how well I was hitting it without hitting a GIR.

Made 5 great up and downs and somehow ended up with 5 pars for the 9 holes. After a very long time away from the game, it was a great confidence booster to have the touch around the greens. If I sort out my alignment issues, I think my ball striking is good enough to be competitive in competitions over the summer which is all I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

First full 18 holes today after playing 15 holes on Monday and Wednesday. Shot 21pt off 18 handicap(feel this is too low but prefer to work to it). Ended up with ahooting 105. Feel i am playing really well (for my level). Definately can see two spots of madness that cost me 5 shots. Never broke 100 but feel within next few rounds i will be there

Also i three putt or greater 10 times which is shocking, feel it is killing me. I just cant read a slope and even when i do, i mess it up. Aim is to get a putting lesson and potential fitting. Feel like too many ways to putt so hard to focus on one thing. Had four birdie putts with two within 10 foot, didnt get any birdie but few pars overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

First full 18 holes today after playing 15 holes on Monday and Wednesday. Shot 21pt off 18 handicap(feel this is too low but prefer to work to it). Ended up with ahooting 105. Feel i am playing really well (for my level). Definately can see two spots of madness that cost me 5 shots. Never broke 100 but feel within next few rounds i will be there

Also i three putt or greater 10 times which is shocking, feel it is killing me. I just cant read a slope and even when i do, i mess it up. Aim is to get a putting lesson and potential fitting. Feel like too many ways to putt so hard to focus on one thing. Had four birdie putts with two within 10 foot, didnt get any birdie but few pars overall.
    How many putts total?! Scores will come tumbling down when you sort that out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Out this morning for 9 in lovely sunshine. 1st of May but still had a 20 minute frost delay. Played much better than Monday, two blow up holes where I found water on one and shanked it on another. But generally striking the ball well and but for a few 3 putts it could have been better.

2 triple bogeys.
    4 bogeys
    3 pars

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

1st competitive round of the year this morning. What a morning for it too with glorious blue skies. 39pts off 3, level par gross. I'm absolutely delighted with the start to the year. Drove the ball exceptionally well, new driver in the bag so fair to say I love it. One bad drive contributed to a bad par 5 bogey. Struck the ball really well with my irons and pitching was very good too which wouldn't be my greatest strength. Gutted not to go one shot lower and break the par barrier again, missed a gilt edged opportunity on 17 from 6 feet which lipped out. Nice birdie up the last to banish that. All in all 2 birdies, 2 bogeys and 14 pars, delighted and looking forward to the remainder of the year. Hopefully a cut too.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

How many putts total?! Scores will come tumbling down when you sort that out

I didnt track properly but review of holes from memory, it was between 43 and 46 putts. I am going to keep a proper note of my putting going forward as feel i need to know if it is getting any better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

23 WHS HC index. 18 holes, 36 points, 95 strokes on 2nd day out, very happy. 2 blow up holes (there is a bunker that I never want to see again), 4 pars and first bird of the year with 33 puts (1 three putt and 4 one putts)...and for once driving was (relative to my game) decent. My what were trusty hybrids only thing letting me down badly.

Submitted scores on golfireland app and worked well. Rally liked it actually.

Advertisement