Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sex Tips from the Bishops for Teenagers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Dont send your kids to a Catholic school if you dont like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,634 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I was thinking this thread title was a load of packed bs but then I clicked the story.
    A new sex education programme for Catholic primary schools which describes sex and puberty as a “gift from God” has been released.

Flourish, a relationships and sexuality education (RSE) programme, has been developed by the Irish Bishops’ Conference for junior infants to sixth class.

“puberty is a gift from God. We are perfectly designed by God to procreate with him” so says the seniors class material

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

So many people in this country have no other option, especially those in rural areas.

How about getting the fcuking church out of schools for once and for all. Let people send their kids to Sunday School if religion is so important to them.

+1 for a secular education

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Please don't bash the bishop :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Sure they have been "advising" the good people of this nation for 100's of years, thankfully less and less are paying any attention at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

In an ideal world there be more choice on this front. For many it's a choice between Catholic school or no school...

KevRossi wrote: »
    So many people in this country have no other option, especially those in rural areas.

How about getting the fcuking church out of schools for once and for all. Let people send their kids to Sunday School if religion is so important to them.

How could the state afford to pay the billions to buy the schools?

Perhaps the church that covered up so much abuse could bequeath it back to the people as a gesture of goodwill towards all men or some such horse**** they don't actually practice when the rubber meets the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Multi-denominal patronages are the fastest-growing school type within Ireland. It's clear what the public want. The Church needs to be made hand over the lands the schools are built on. They supply a paltry amount of money in Capitation these days. The Constitution will need to be changed and the Education Act updated.

Patronage means the group that are tasked with the running and the upkeep of the "ethos"; hence this bizarre intervention by the RCC to try and capture the hearts and groins of the youth before secularists produce a curriculum educating them about their anatomy, sexual experiences, relationships and consent.

• Advertisement

Why are Catholic schools so popular at a time of increased secularisation?
    Opinion: Academic strength, a sense of community and strength of purpose are just some of the reasons behind their ongoing popularity with parents

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/why-are-catholic-schools-so-popular-at-a-time-of-increased-secularisation-1.3777895?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Feducation%2Fwhy-are-catholic-schools-so-popular-at-a-time-of-increased-secularisation-1.3777895

• Registered Users Posts: 35,624 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Religion needs to be banned from schools. All connections cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Opinion: Academic strength, a sense of community and strength of purpose are just some of the reasons behind their ongoing popularity with parents

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/why-are-catholic-schools-so-popular-at-a-time-of-increased-secularisation-1.3777895?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Feducation%2Fwhy-are-catholic-schools-so-popular-at-a-time-of-increased-secularisation-1.3777895
    Paul Meany is President of the Association of Management of Catholic Secondary Schools so he would bloody say that, in spite of all the evidence to the contrary and the reader having the good sense to see that continued existence of Catholic schools is down to a lack of choice for parents (and an unwillingness to literally found a school in order to have an alternative).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

We don’t need to. We’ve already put enough money into them to run them, build them and maintain them for the last 100 years to more than cover the cost of the land they sit on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Had to do an Accord pre marriage course in order to get married in a church a few years ago. This was back in the time when the choice was basically get married in a church with 200 guests or get married in a registry office with 2 witnesses and the lads queuing for their driving licence. So off we trotted to Accord.

This trendy priest in sandles etc arrived in on the final night to tell us all about sex on our wedding night. After a few minutes of, I sh1t you not, details on how the mechanics would work. One lad stuck his hand up and said. Father, You do realize you're the only virgin in the room.

To this day I wish I thought of that line. The Church will never stop trying to drag us back to the 1950s but God help them it's just embarrassing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Because there are only Catholic schools! Outside of major cities there is zero choice. The patron system is a sectarian relic that needs to be confined to history.

I somehow doubt that if Ireland invested in modern school facilities with enough load to transfer students out of the catholic school system, that most parents would still feel as compelled to choose between either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,337 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

"while a lesson on safety and protection advises senior infant children to say the “Angel of God” prayer."

It's like a new episode of Father Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

touts wrote: »
    Had to do an Accord pre marriage course in order to get married in a church a few years ago. This was back in the time when the choice was basically get married in a church with 200 guests or get married in a registry office with 2 witnesses and the lads queuing for their driving licence. So off we trotted to Accord.

This trendy priest in sandles etc arrived in on the final night to tell us all about sex on our wedding night. After a few minutes of, I sh1t you not, details on how the mechanics would work. One lad stuck his hand up and said. Father, You do realize you're the only virgin in the room.

To this day I wish I thought of that line. The Church will never stop trying to drag us back to the 1950s but God help them it's just embarrassing now.

Done the same course with 2 middle aged ladies telling us that a woman should stay home and mind the children and also she should wear something nice for when her husband comes home. Like straight out of the 50's.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

corsav6 wrote: »
    Done the same course with 2 middle aged ladies telling us that a woman should stay home and mind the children and also she should wear something nice for when her husband comes home. Like straight out of the 50's.

Were ye all given a free Mrs beetons cook book aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Indeed, gotta brainwash 'em while they're still young and susceptible to stories about magic and the supernatural.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Indeed, gotta brainwash 'em while they're still young and susceptible to stories about magic and the supernatural.

That's right: If Power Rangers seemed plausible, why not Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Everyone in this country has the option of not enrolling their children in schools which they don’t want to.

You’re putting the horse before the cart if you’re trying to suggest that religion should be removed from schools which have a religious ethos. They are established specifically for the purpose of providing a religious education, and would close down if people didn’t continue to support them by enrolling their children in schools which they claim they have no choice but to do so. Establish your own schools if not exposing children to religion is so important to you.

As embarrassing as your claims that it’s the Church are trying to drag anyone back to the 1950’s while continuing to support them by wanting to be married in the Church?

For what it’s worth, you’re better off not having tried to be a smartarse with that line as it may not necessarily have been true in any case, and it wouldn’t have had anything to do with their ability to impart the Church view of marriage either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

The government could start by not handing new schools over to be run by the church which is still happening. These are schools built on publicly acquired land, construction paid for by the tax payer 100% and then handed over to the patronage of the church. Complete bull****!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You live in a part of the world with a Christian ethos. And there is no chance of the church being taken out of state education in Ireland, France, Italy, Spain etc... expecting the majority of the populations of Europe will change their ways is just not realistic. So I guess if it’s important to you, you will have to be the one to change.

We have a secular education system here in Switzerland, but it just means that the kids split up for religion classes and go to the church houses. But the school still celebrates Christmas etc...

[BTW, your tone and word choices don’t add anything to your argument]

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

We got married in a registry office. We had 54 guests present. They're not as bad as people make out. No religious BS either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

techdiver wrote: »
    The government could start by not handing new schools over to be run by the church which is still happening. These are schools built on publicly acquired land, construction paid for by the tax payer 100% and then handed over to the patronage of the church. Complete bull****!

Complete bull is expecting that politicians will start doing things that won’t get them elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Taking advice on sex from the clergy would be like taking advice on running from a person born without legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Jim2007 wrote: »
    You live in a part of the world with a Christian ethos. And there is no chance of the church being taken out of state education in Ireland, France, Italy, Spain etc... expecting the majority of the populations of Europe will change their ways is just not realistic. So I guess if it’s important to you, you will have to be the one to change.

We have a secular education system here in Switzerland, but it just means that the kids split up for religion classes and go to the church houses. But the school still celebrates Christmas etc...

[BTW, your tone and word choices don’t add anything to your argument]

Eh, France's state education is famously secular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 john_fe12020

I only came in here as I saw the title of the thread and thought it was a particularly humorous (but unfortunately true) description of the events of today.

But Jim2007, as much as you say there's no chance of the Church being eradicated from the education system here, I completely disagree, but do admit it won't be for a good while yet. There will always be a place for optional religious orientated education as is everyone's right to have that option, but it needs to be an opt in, as opposed to an opt out as it currently is. My nearest secular primary school is almost twenty miles away, with at least ten other primary schools closer than that, all of which are backed by the Church - that right there is the problem, the lack of choice is leaving our current school goers with little or no option!!

Im in my late twenties, I was in one of those schools where the we were given very limited sex education, and there was a definite Church focused element to it - Never mind about the 4th-6th classers who were the lucky few to get picked by the PP to do alterboy, ridiculous thinking back that we were allowed to leave the school premises with the PP collecting us, to get into his car, get driven to mass, do our thing and then get brought back to the parochial house for a fanta afterwards!! And that was only 15years ago ish!

Bottom line is I only know of one person my age who was educated in Ireland that is in any way religious. With the evolution of time, I do think that by the time that my generation's children are in primary school / secondary, that there will be much more choice in secular education, to the extent that the Church's role will be moot. Cant wait!!

Advertisement