Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unseasonally dry

• 09-04-2021 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Is it just me or for the past 3 weeks or so it’s been very dry in Ireland for the time of year? Usually this time of year in Ireland is a free for all for the notorious Irish rain but I’ve noticed it’s more or less been relatively rain free for a long time now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nearest station shows 32mm for March and zero so far this month. Just making up for January and February!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

mick145 wrote: »
    Is it just me or for the past 3 weeks or so it’s been very dry in Ireland for the time of year? Usually this time of year in Ireland is a free for all for the notorious Irish rain but I’ve noticed it’s more or less been relatively rain free for a long time now?

I think so, I only recorded 36mm of rain in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

None of ye from Mayo obviously.
    I've been putting up a fence so keeping an eye on the weather. Here in Newport it's been raining most days, ground is still wet from this morning's shower. I got a couple of dry days last week and it's looking good now so hopefully we'll get a decent spell of weather down here from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

It rains every day wtf you talking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

mick145 wrote: »

It has been drier than normal but the February to June period is the driest part of the year on average for Ireland due to the reduction in westerly airstreams as continental anticyclones advect their influence westward before the inevitable 'return of the westerlies' through the latter part of the summer as pressure rises over the continent and falls over the ocean. Of course, this is on average rather than a rule as we have had very westerly springs before but as a result, dry weather is most frequent as this time of year so wouldn't say it's 'unseasonable'.

Last year, April was notably dry with numerous droughts and dry spells being recorded for most of the country that began in the second half of March so not unique to this year. Soil moisture deficits (figures refer to well drained soils) are quite similar as of April 8th to last year:

Dublin Airport: 27mm
    Malin Head: 13mm
    Valentia Observatory: 10mm

Dublin Airport: 24mm
    Malin Head: 1mm
    Valentia Observatory: 10mm

Evidently by the Malin Head figure, deficits are closer to average more generally in the north of the country this year as compared to 2020. Both March 2020 and 2021 despite drier conditions in the south and east of the country were more changeable and unsettled in the north and northwest.

No hiding the fact that it has been a pretty dry spring so far for a few fair regions but a bit early to come to conclusions if we're going a similar form to what last spring offered as both April and May 2020 were exceptionally dry especially in the east of the country breaking long-term records. No sign of a full on Atlantic onslaught so there's that but probably the most notable difference between last year and this year is the temperature. We're likely to see a fair increase in the temperature later next week going by models but mainly closer to average than anything warm as compared to this time last year when we were seeing the first time getting into the 20s so evaporative rates not likely to be quite as high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

While march was dry, the middle of march had some real heavy rain. Farming here in the mid west and ground is still tender. We are still only drying out from the autumn just gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭OldRio

Ground still wet here in Leitrim. Rains regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Seems to me, at least in the last few years, that the wettest months are in July and August, when there just seems to be weeks of really low cloud and monsoon type downpours.
    Maybe I'm just more conscious of the rain at that time of year because I want nice weather so bad, but there were definitely weeks during the last few summers where I was getting soaked cycling in and out of work regularly, and it didn't seem to happen as much in the colder months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Seems to me, at least in the last few years, that the wettest months are in July and August, when there just seems to be weeks of really low cloud and monsoon type downpours.
    Maybe I'm just more conscious of the rain at that time of year because I want nice weather so bad, but there were definitely weeks during the last few summers where I was getting soaked cycling in and out of work regularly, and it didn't seem to happen as much in the colder months.

Every July from 2016 to 2019 in Dublin was on the drier side whilst 2020 was much more unsettled. Usually one of our driest months of the year on average, possibly due to it being a very southwesterly month with Dublin often in the Wicklow rain shadow. 2020 was much more northwesterly in comparison.

Each August has been unsettled in some way since the last widely drier than average one in 2013 albeit even that one was quite changeable - 2018 less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Very little rain in North kerry this week. Makes a change to see the ground drying out. Might get some slurry out on the field next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Farming commentary on met.ie

The past week has been fairly dry across the country with just 2-5mm of rainfall recorded generally, but up to 10mm in parts of the north and northwest, well below the weekly average for April. The next 7 days will bring varied rainfall amounts across the nation due to a showery regime. Many areas will see below normal rainfall with around 5mm expected. However, some areas, especially Atlantic coastal regions will see rainfall totals up to 20mm, around average for April.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Been doing the 100 days of walking since Jan 1. Based in Dublin. Only one or two mornings has it being raining. I'm out at 7am each morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Been doing the 100 days of walking since Jan 1. Based in Dublin. Only one or two mornings has it being raining. I'm out at 7am each morning.

Last day tomorrow? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It has been a dry March in south Laois and April has continued where that month left off. The year 2021 has gone from average, to slightly wetter than average right back to well below average. So overall, just around average! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Last day tomorrow? :)

Yep it's been a quick 100 days :) feel the better for it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Yep it's been a quick 100 days :) feel the better for it

Thank feck tomorrow is the last day, getting fed up of the #CiaraKellyDoc all over my social media feed from "yummy mummys" wishing they were "yummy" again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Could do with a dash of rain out west....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There was more rain during that Chelsea - Real Madrid game in Madrid than has fallen in Ireland in the whole month of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,924 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We had a good blast during the night up here in North Donegal.
    Seems to be little during daytime hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Well of course :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭pauldry

There was more rain during that Chelsea - Real Madrid game in Madrid than has fallen in Ireland in the whole month of April.

Its been quite a Wet April in Madrid. Around 100mm of rain has fallen there this month.

Also been a cold year there too. Think only 23c is their highest temperature of 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭OldRio

Showers last night and a few this morning.

Leitrim

Advertisement