Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Handbrake!

• 26-04-2021 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Settle an argument. I think there's something wrong with my handbrake (car is still rolling on a hill even when I've pulled the handbrake up as far as I can). Husband says my arm isn't strong enough because he doesn' have any problem. Also note that he's put handbrake on so tight a couple of times that I've had to call him out to the car to disengage the handbrake.

I now don't feel safe out driving because I don't have confidence in the handbrake.
    So do I a) get the weights out! or b) is there something my local garage can do......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

leave your car in gear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭sundodger5

I would get it looked at in a garage.
    What is the make andmodel?

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

A tin of spinach might do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Fabio

What kind of car is it?

Some cars, especially those with heavier front ends (particularly diesels as diesel engines tend to be heavier), don't have super strong handbrakes. You really do need to pull the handbrake up a fair bit.

It's possible your handbrake cable needs adjusting or replacing, the cable might be quite stretched so you've to use a lot of force to actually get the brakes to bite back there.

It's a brake thing - I'd get it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You need to get it fixed. The handbrake should be easy to operate for anyone.
    Maybe the handbrake cable just need to be adjusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭stabilio

Fabio wrote: »
    What kind of car is it?

Some cars, especially those with heavier front ends (particularly diesels as diesel engines tend to be heavier), don't have super strong handbrakes. You really do need to pull the handbrake up a fair bit.

It's possible your handbrake cable needs adjusting or replacing, the cable might be quite stretched so you've to use a lot of force to actually get the brakes to bite back there.

It's a brake thing - I'd get it checked out.
    It's a Nissan Juke

sundodger5 wrote: »
    I would get it looked at in a garage.
    What is the make andmodel?

Nissan Juke

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

biko wrote: »
    You need to get it fixed. The handbrake should be easy to operate for anyone.
    Maybe the handbrake cable just need to be adjusted.

This. Typically "3" clicks should be able to hold the car in place, and should be easy to get into. If the handbrake doesn't engage because you're "not strong enough" there's something seriously wrong with it. I'd say the cable needs tightening/loosening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Long time since i looked at one , possible causes if it has pads and discs on rear and any issues you might see through the wheel.

Is the whole surface of disc in use or only partially?
    Pads can seize in carrier and not move causing issues.
    Yes important to get fixed before you tell the hubby car did a dash for freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

wouldn't be fluid involved in this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

greasepalm wrote: »
    Long time since i looked at one , possible causes if it has pads and discs on rear and any issues you might see through the wheel.

Is the whole surface of disc in use or only partially?
    Pads can seize in carrier and not move causing issues.
    Yes important to get fixed before you tell the hubby car did a dash for freedom.
    Some Nissans have a separate drum brake on the rear wheels just for the handbrake, not sure if the Juke does.

If you can jack up one side at a time one can check handbrake function as locking wheel to a revolving wheel not working

Quick google shows handbrake shoes listed for that model and worth slackening adjuster on handbrake to let shoes go back.
    Calliper and carrier need removing and brake disc removed to see whats left on shoes.
    If shoes are good more likely the so called service did not check them or know about them.

With discs off you can also check when handbrake is pulled handbrake lever moves forward and backwards.

Handbrake shoes have a knurly adjuster to adjust shoes to reach the disc as turn to lock up disc then release a click or 2 to allow disc to rotate freely.

Who in their right mind bleeds brakes for a cable operated system?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Bring into a garage have it looked at, and they might need to bleed out brake fluid. Had my brakes looked at and bleed out for any air, I paid €40.

Were you in for a handbrake issue or something else?

Not to be a pr1ck but leave the advise to posters with more knowledge, bad advise is worse than none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Alun wrote: »
    Some Nissans have a separate drum brake on the rear wheels just for the handbrake, not sure if the Juke does.

Thats correct, same as the qashqai, shoes wear and the cables tend to stretch (and break!) in these, get it looked at.

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Thats correct, same as the qashqai, shoes wear and the cables tend to stretch (and break!) in these, get it looked at.

Eeek cables breaking... scary thought!!!!
    Just as a matter of interest would this problem be picked up in a routine service?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

stabilio wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest would this problem be picked up in a routine service?

Depends where they break but generally no. That's why it's good practice to leave your car in gear and wheels oointed with the handbrake up for the kerb when parked on a hill. And don't leave the handbrake up if the cars parked up for an extended period.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my car failed the nct, had to get cables replaced one cable had gone, they are a dual system normally. so into the garage sorted no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

As per other posters, get it checked, obviously needs either adjustment or replacement.
    A five foot nothing 80 year old granny should be able to engage the handbrake without going on a protein shake regimen.

Yourself or your husband might be able to do a temporary adjustment of the cable if you can't get it in straight away but I'd advise getting a competent mechanic to look at it ASAP.

Easy access adjustment location here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4GmQD8ueVM

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

JC01 wrote: »
    Were you in for a handbrake issue or something else?

Not to be a pr1ck but leave the advise to posters with more knowledge, bad advise is worse than none.

My advice was to bring it to a mechanic/garage to have it looked at nothing wrong with that, is it? I just added my own story with brake.

Thanks all for the great advice. Will be calling the garage first thing. Will let you know how I get on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

I'd imagine yanking the hand brake up so high can't be good for the hand brake either

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Depending on the brake set up on the rear, sometimes if you press the foot brake and then pull the handbrake you will get it to hold better

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

forestgirl wrote: »
    I'd imagine yanking the hand brake up so high can't be good for the hand brake either

It'll be fine once it's checked out, it's a mechanical system that needs to adjusted/repaired or have the shoes replaced so no damage is being done by yanking on it. Had it happen on my car and it was the self adjuster that needed to be fixed.

All that pulling it hard does is make it difficult for someone not as strong to get off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

If you can pull it a few clicks (3 or more) and it cannot hold the car in place then its time to get it tightened or whatever the equivalent is for your model car.

If memory serves its been a cheap job in any old cars I have used in the past.

Otherwise as others have mentioned, leave it in gear.

Well. Took the car to my usual mechanic. Explain that my husband doesn't have a problem with the handbrake but I do. He gets in the car, pulls on the handbrake tells me everything is fine. Suggests I use two hands to release the handbrake next time its stuck. No suggestion as to what I should do next time I can't get handbrake to engage properly. I assume it's let it roll back, the car behind will stop me.....
    And yes I know I can put the car in gear. I shouldn't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Well. Took the car to my usual mechanic. Explain that my husband doesn't have a problem with the handbrake but I do. He gets in the car, pulls on the handbrake tells me everything is fine. Suggests I use two hands to release the handbrake next time its stuck. No suggestion as to what I should do next time I can't get handbrake to engage properly. I assume it's let it roll back, the car behind will stop me.....

Simple answer is go to another garage.

Phone up garage in a week tell them car was in an accident as ran down the hill and they said it was fine:D You want a written report saying it was safe!

A lever can be moved up and down but what about holding the rear wheels and did they bother to check the left and right rear wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How many clicks is there when your husband applies it? If there's more than 3 clicks the the garage is talking crap and find a better one, if it's 3 then you'll need to start pumping iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

Op i always leave my car in gear when parked regardless of how good my handbrake condition!

Anyway get a different garage book it in for handbrake shoe adjustment including cables tell them your handbrake is not operating properly requiring excessive effort to get it to hold. You may or may not need need shoes they don't wear out too often on cars that have an independent shoe that only operates via the handbrake lever.

IIRC this can be done by removing the wheel, removing the rubber bung on face of disc then with a flathead screwdriver turn the adjuster to wind out the shoes. This needs to be done on both sides.

After this the cables will need a small adjustment too, if they are already at maximum adjustment and the lever travel is excessive the cables should be replaced.

after this your handbrake should be easy to apply and hold on a hill if not maybe some dumbbell curls!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Settle an argument. I think there's something wrong with my handbrake (car is still rolling on a hill even when I've pulled the handbrake up as far as I can). Husband says my arm isn't strong enough because he doesn' have any problem. Also note that he's put handbrake on so tight a couple of times that I've had to call him out to the car to disengage the handbrake.

I now don't feel safe out driving because I don't have confidence in the handbrake.
    So do I a) get the weights out! or b) is there something my local garage can do......

Maybe your husband is pulling up on the handbrake too much, which would strain it over time, if it clicks more than 4-5 times and its not holding the car then it needs to be adjusted, id also leave the car in gear just as a failsafe.

Advertisement