Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Murphy TD resigns...

• 27-04-2021 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭

By election within 6 months.

Always came across as a decent sort and went through a hard time as Housing minister. Going back to work internationally. Always seemed out of his depth as that Minister and often looked like he had enough.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0427/1212292-politics-eoghan-murphy/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PommieBast

This'll be fun to watch..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Kate O'Connell to mount a comeback?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I was in the RDS count centre when he was returned in the last election. The boos and slurs from a certain cohort was disgusting.

Who would want to be a politician in this day and age? Not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

If he has the same effect on international affairs as he did on the housing situation in Ireland then god help us all...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Mav11

is_that_so wrote: »
    Kate O'Connell to mount a comeback?

Hazel for the Dail!!!

• Advertisement

I assume Hazel Chu will put herself forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

He called to the door during the 2016 election. Babbled and sputtered on when challenged on his policies until his handler interrupted and went "I think it's time to move on, Eoghan." Absolutely shambolic politician. Good riddance.

Hazel, as a woman from a minority ethnic background, I reckon that's a safe bet.

Might quieten her cough a bit if she isn’t as popular as she thinks she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,382 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He should never have been put into such a crucial portfolio as Housing with so little experience.

Totally out of his depth.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Might quieten her cough a bit if she isn’t as popular as she thinks she is.

Would she not have picked up that vibe from the Senate vote? Probably not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I was in the RDS count centre when he was returned in the last election. The boos and slurs from a certain cohort was disgusting.

...and the spin starts!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Mav11 wrote: »
    Hazel, as a woman from a minority ethnic background, I reckon that's a safe bet.
    Ryan is already the TD there and FG had nearly 30% of the vote the last time so it would favour them quite strongly. Former TD could be run for them.

It's an interesting dynamic with Eamon Ryan already holding a seat in Dublin Bay South. It splits the green vote at the next general election. This is a disaster for Eamon Ryan.

Would she not have picked up that vibe from the Senate vote? Probably not!!

Is that senate vote over and done with? I voted to abolish so I take no interest in it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

And didn't he struggle enough last year from memory, in getting elected. What actually is 'international affairs'?

I'd say he's bagged something already by the sounds of it and we'll get an announcement in a few weeks. An EU/UN funded role, hazarding a guess.

It's a tough gig being either a Housing or Health Minister in this country.

It's an interesting dynamic with Eamon Ryan already holding a seat in Dublin Bay South. It splits the green vote at the next general election. This is a disaster for Eamon Ryan.
    I sense another row involving Hazel, about to break out in the Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Abuse of politicians certainly seems to have escalated significantly in recent years.

You couldn't pay me enough to be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Cal4567 wrote: »
    And didn't he struggle enough last year from memory, in getting elected. What actually is 'international affairs'?

I'd say he's bagged something already by the sounds of it and we'll get an announcement in a few weeks. An EU/UN funded role, hazarding a guess.

It's a tough gig being either a Housing or Health Minister in this country.

The Housing gig is only a tough gig because the policies that are being implemented are so short sighted... the Health gig is a far tougher nut to crack and I have no idea why anyone would want that portfolio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

This would be a good opportunity for a protest vote against this shambolic coalition government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I have more respect for him now than before, not many TDs give up living off the public teat willingly and also the influence that it brings.

Kivaro wrote: »
    This would be a good opportunity for a protest vote against this shambolic coalition government.

Until you look at the alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Until you look at the alternatives.

Is there not enough time to put forward an 'alternative' alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The cynical me wonders whether there will be similarities with the Dara Murphy scandal. Has that FG chancer paid back those dodgy expenses yet??

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

i liked him it's my area that he represented, please, please do not let Kate O'Connell take his seat, she's the biggest charlatan of the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Poor ol murphs

Leo’s mudguard.

Took a lot of sh1t due to his socodu accent and image

Ah well

Needing Garda protection from far left abuse is not nice
    https://www.thejournal.ie/housing-eoghan-murphy-protest-4654386-May2019/

The cynical me wonders whether there will be similarities with the Dara Murphy scandal. Has that FG chancer paid back those dodgy expenses yet??

The very CYNICAL me wonders about the timing??? 10yrs he's had on the ultimate gravy train..... after 10yrs does he get a very tasty dream pension????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭conorhal

The epitome of an Irish politician, forever failing upwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I have more respect for him now than before, not many TDs give up living off the public teat willingly and also the influence that it brings.

I am sure he is not giving it up without having something equally as generous to fall back on. As others have said I wouldn't be surprised to see him in an EU/UN type role.

Was out of his depth as a Minister.

Advertisement