Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beginner 3d printer recommendations?

• 21-04-2021 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

I've never used a 3d printer and am looking for something that I could use to build toys for the kids and possibly some electronic projects too.

The ender 5 Pro looks interesting or should I be spending more to get something easier to use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FrancisSobotka

//technologyoutlet.co.uk/products/new-flashforge-creator-pro-3d-printer

I bought this last year after doing some research - I find it really simple to use and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Got our first just over a month ago, went for an Ender 3 V2 and very impressed with it. Besides putting on some better springs Ive really done nothing with it and its worked perfectly, I havnt leveled it for weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

I grabbed an Ender V2 a couple of weeks ago and am running it completely stock besides nozzle size changes. I'm going to keep it that way for a while as I have a lot of students using them and hope it helps me give them pointers.

So far I've used the stock settings for the Ender V2 profile built into in Prusa Slicer and it prints very well with PLA.
    The glass bed has worked well once you give it a wipe down with IPA every now and then.

I'd say it's a good beginners printer for ~€200, particularly if you are interested in learning some modifications as there is a big range of potential mods.
    The disadvantage is that it is a bit less plug-and-play than the ones you pay more for, but there is a large community of users and lots of info online.

I threw a 0.8mm nozzle on it last night to test it and got reasonable parts off it with that too. So it's possible to use the stock extruder to experiment a bit as you learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

//technologyoutlet.co.uk/products/new-flashforge-creator-pro-3d-printer

I bought this last year after doing some research - I find it really simple to use and reliable.

Thanks, that's really interesting. Hadn't heard of it before, is there much of a community around it?

https://www.3dbeginners.com/flashforge-creator-pro-review/

It seems to have dropped in price a fair bit. Did you get the simplify software?

Strange, the review links to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I8NM6JO?tag=amazon3d0f-21&keywords=flashforge creator pro&geniuslink=true

But elsewhere on Amazon it's half the price. I'd prefer an open printer but the temperature modulation seems to make it easier to use...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FrancisSobotka

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Thanks, that's really interesting. Hadn't heard of it before, is there much of a community around it?

It seems to have dropped in price a fair bit. Did you get the simplify software?

Strange, the review links to this
    But elsewhere on Amazon it's half the price. I'd prefer an open printer but the temperature modulation seems to make it easier to use...

I had a reasonable level of experience with 3D printing through my job so I knew the basics and the printer has been bomb proof since day 1, so I didn't have to look at community forums..so I don't know for sure. I looked at a few you tube videos and that ultimately swung it for me
    I paid €600 last year and it has dropped in price since,I think there is an upgraded model out now but for close to €1K -
    I like the enclosed printer from a temp control point of view but I think it may not be a big deal
    Dual extruder is not really too useful I find.
    I use the flashforge supplied slicer software so you tell it what model you have, type of material and it applies the correct calculations, I've played around with infill layer heights support size rotation of model ect and I find it simple to use...
    Nice beginner printer that I found is plug and play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Tails142

Got an Ender 3 pro v2, can't complain, been going grand but I would urge caution about your expectations for printing toys for kids etc, it's a tricky hobby and you might have some success early on only to be met with a string of failures etc, takes a fair amount of time twiddling and trial and error to get things right only for them to stop working right after a few prints so I would say definetly jump in but know what you expect, that's been my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭boomdocker

I have the CR-10 mini for the last 2 years approx, and whilst I don't use it day-in day-out, it has got plenty of use
    I can honestly say it has not missed a beat since I got it

Compare that to my first foray into 3d printing - about 8/9 years ago - bought a Leapfrog printer - quite a large printer which was trouble from day one....

Bought the CR-10 from https://technologyoutlet.co.uk/ - very good to deal with

At the time I wanted something that was reasonably sized, with limited assembly required out of the box and under €300 - they advised me to get that and it was a great buy

Advertisement