Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Self build

Options
  • 25-04-2021 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi all, I am currently in the process of selling the house I am currently living in and either buying a second hand house or buying a site to build on. If I do go down the build route I want to make sure to use my time now as wisely as I can so we can getting moving quicker if I was to buy a site. I have a few questions that someone that has gone through the process themselfs my be able to answer for me:

Firstly I have contacted a few auctioneers with regards to sites but they have been unable to offer much I'm wondering if I'm better off calling around to a few farms and see if any farmers are will to sell a site instead of waiting for an auctioneer to come back with something?

What order should I be doing things at this stage would it be:
    Put deposit on site
    Contact architect and engineer
    Submit plans etc.?
    Or while I am waiting to buy a site should I be in contact with an architect getting drawings put together?

We will need to sell our own house that we currently live in to fund some of the build so at what stage should we be looking to start doing this we have got it valued so we have a fair idea of what we should get for it?

We currently have our a mortgage application submitted to the bank and should get approval in principle in the coming weeks.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer a few of my questions.

Cheers,

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Are you originally from the area you intend to build as asking someone you know is the best way of getting the info is better.
    Then if you know the area yourself you will kindof know what area you prefer.
    I would do a good bit of research before i would contact Architect or Estate Agent.
    It is very hard to get rural planning now, What general area if you want to say wider region..

ps A good idea is drive around and look for older empty houses as easier to get planning.
    If they had a septic tank easier likely no big problem getting planning...

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭gk5000

I think best to slow down and do things one at a time.
    You don't know whether you shall build or buy yet.
    I think design and plans should be site specific but you can start specifiying your requirements, no of bedrooms, open pla et., and mabey talk to several architects to see who suits and whos available.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭alan86

Are you originally from the area you intend to build as asking someone you know is the best way of getting the info is better.
    Then if you know the area yourself you will kindof know what area you prefer.
    I would do a good bit of research before i would contact Architect or Estate Agent.
    It is very hard to get rural planning now, What general area if you want to say wider region..

ps A good idea is drive around and look for older empty houses as easier to get planning.
    If they had a septic tank easier likely no big problem getting planning...

Yip we both would be from the general area we are looking to build in. We have a fair idea of where we would like to build but no sites available according to auctioneers

The area we are in would be north cork not far outside mallow

gk5000 wrote: »
    I think best to slow down and do things one at a time.
    You don't know whether you shall build or buy yet.
    I think design and plans should be site specific but you can start specifiying your requirements, no of bedrooms, open pla et., and mabey talk to several architects to see who suits and whos available.

Thanks for the advice. Yes we have a fair idea of what kind of house we would be looking for if we were to build so we can make a start there. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

alan86 wrote: »
    Yip we both would be from the general area we are looking to build in. We have a fair idea of where we would like to build but no sites available according to auctioneers

The area we are in would be north cork not far outside mallow

Is your current house in the same area?

• Advertisement

JimmyMW wrote: »
    Is your current house in the same area?

We are currently living in the village so the location we would be looking to build in would be less than 5km away

We are currently living in the village so the location we would be looking to build in would be less than 5km away

Your biggest hurdle will be showing that you need to live in that area and that your current property 5km away is insufficient for your needs, on a high level this is whats going to block you, whats your need for building 5km away

JimmyMW wrote: »
    Your biggest hurdle will be showing that you need to live in that area and that your current property 5km away is insufficient for your needs, on a high level this is whats going to block you, whats your need for building 5km away

Good point I see what you mean. Would factors like house size and an expanding family be taken into account?

Good point I see what you mean. Would factors like house size and an expanding family be taken into account?

I would doubt it massively, your talking more like full time farming the land and needing to be next to it or minding an elderly relative with a condition which requires you to be closer than you already are, i would think you have very little chance of satisfying the local needs element of the planning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Deeec

Are you or your partner originally from the area though - you need to have deeper roots in the area than just currently living in the village.

• Advertisement

Deeec wrote: »
    Are you or your partner originally from the area though - you need to have deeper roots in the area than just currently living in the village.

Yes so my partner would of grown up 5 mins over the road from where we are looking to build and her father still lives there. I wouldn't be originally from the area but would be living in the area for over 10 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Deeec

Yes so my partner would of grown up 5 mins over the road from where we are looking to build and her father still lives there. I wouldn't be originally from the area but would be living in the area for over 10 years now.

Thats a good start that you have family links to the area. The only issue you may have is that you already have a house in the area - you have to show planners that you have a housing need which Im not sure you will satisfy. It is not easy getting planning permission. As someone else mentioned it may be easier to buy a derilect house and renovate this.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,988 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Remember, the familial links must be to the local "rural" area... And not just the local area... Which could end up being a small town or village.

Essentially, you or your partner most be from the local rural area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Just started a self build project. It will be hard going asking farmers for some of their land to allow a stranger build on it. My take is that before doing a thing you should contact local architects, mortgage brokers and surveyors. They know every plot in the area and have a reasonable idea of planning permission likelihood along with mortgage likelihood and range. They will give you a reasonable idea of how practical your ambition is - so be ready to listen to them.

Goes without saying - you won't save a penny self building these days. It's expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Cushtie

I think you have most of your ducks in row there OP. The Site and Planning obviously the most important bits first.
    I would say not a whole lot of point engaging architect yet until you have site identified and sale agreed subject to planning. The site itself would determine alot about your design decisions.

We did it 15 years ago sold and built and doing it again now. Was a lot less complicated back then lol. More red tape now it seems.

Both times we bought a site with outline planning and applied for full on it. Lucky enough got through with no complications.

We are going with builder for the build this time as we did self build last time and it nearly drove us to divorce! Starting Tuesday!!

Feel free to PM with any questions.

Advertisement