Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Price Differences

• 25-04-2021 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Lads if a builder is coming in at 40k under everyone else, is that automatically dodgy? The builder in question has a good following online so I assume their work is good, but I'm confused how they can do it much cheaper than everyone else.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Lads if a builder is coming in at 40k under everyone else, is that automatically dodgy? The builder in question has a good following online so I assume their work is good, but I'm confused how they can do it much cheaper than everyone else.

What did they price compared to everyone else.
    Compare the quotes and see where he’s cheaper than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Context required. e.g. €40k on a €1m project is peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭scwazrh

In my experience if you get 3 prices and there is a 10-15% of a difference between them you need to be able to clearly see where that difference is coming from ?Otherwise some one has either made a mistake or isn’t pricing like for like .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Did you just give them planning drawings?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Not necessarily.

Builders are so busy now, some over price as they dont need the work. Your QS should have an idea of the correct price point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭BalboBiggins

Thanks lads. I just gave three of them planning drawings. They came back with 280k, 230k and 180k, so I was a bit surprised by the differences. Only the 230k one contained a detailed breakdown. The planning drawings were missing insulation so they all priced for this themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Thanks lads. I just gave three of them planning drawings. They came back with 280k, 230k and 180k, so I was a bit surprised by the differences. Only the 230k one contained a detailed breakdown. The planning drawings were missing insulation so they all priced for this themselves.

I would be double checking who’s pricing for what there. That seems like high differences.We lost out on a project this week as the most expensive, the 3 prices where €182 , €175 & €172 so that shows how close prices should be.

€100k between cheapest and dearest along with no detailed insulation spec , I would suggest further clarification and then confirm prices

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

What do you expect. You gave them the planning drawings. They can only price what they can see/understand. You haven’t mentioned the floor area but assume the 280k is the starting point

A tender package may contain 20-30 drawings/details + 20-50 page specification, (maybe even a Bill of quantities). a tender should Include M&E requirements like electrical, plumbing, mvhr, heat pump etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No specification priced then all those quotations are meaningless.

No one knows if any of those prices are for specifications which comply with regulations or not.

Waste of time for everyone really

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Prepare to hear the word "extras" a lot if you go with any of them prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭BalboBiggins

The 180k quote has a detailed breakdown. Could I share it with one of you to see if they have used poor quality materials or left anything obvious out please?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Planning drawings can sometimes be detailed. What floor area is the house. Have you specified heating type, electrical points type of lighting , position and number of sockets. Size and type of hot and cold water tank. Internal finishes such as type of doors, skirting boards and architrave. The list is endless. Are they doing connection to sewer, external footpaths.

Extra are what kills the price of a house. At the same time 100k is a lot if extra's. You really need to specify these. On Foundation alone, most builders will quote for two rows of blocks if your site is low at one side you may need 3-4 to clear ground level as well as the associated fill to go into it.

I fear for you in a way if you cannot read the detail of the specification they gave you really need a QS to manage it.

Builders can f@@k you over 20 different ways and none of them are on visible materials. At present pricing is gone stupid. However if a builder has not enough work lined he will price very competitive.

Heard a story lately about a builder that priced a few extension at 50% above his normal prices hoping to get one of the three of them. He got all three only condition is they have to be finished by September. Now materials and labor costs have gone up but it's fairy busy out there at present

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

It makes it difficult for you to decide unless you provide a schedule of works and quantities to the builders. You decide the spec you want, the builders price to that spec and you get consistent pricing and comparison.

You cannot compare the prices otherwise.

It's sounds like you need a QS.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As a provisional guide, use the SCSI House Rebuilding Calculator
    https://scsi.ie/consumer/build/house-rebuild-calculator/

It's used as an estimation of having to rebuild a house as-is but to current standards following a fire or similar. It's a rough guide only, but should be sufficient to see which of your three prices is roughly in line with it.

If the other two prices were similar, I'd say the builder at 180k has probably left some things out. However the fact they priced off planning drawings and there's such a discrepancy between the three prices, it's clear they weren't given enough information to accurately price from to begin with. Have they been given details on insulation? Heating system? Specific structural requirements? Do the prices all include kitchen, floor finishes, site & landscaping works?

Planning drawings are planning drawings. They're not at a level to get accurate prices from without other ancillary drawings or information.
    The 180k quote has a detailed breakdown. Could I share it with one of you to see if they have used poor quality materials or left anything obvious out please?

It's irrelevant without being able to compare it to what they were asked to price.

Who is signing off the works? Do you have someone overseeing the works? Why are they not involved in this stage?

Advertisement