Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dental plan!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Moe: Hey, Homer, who's the manatee?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Moe: Here comes the Moe with a pretty girl cause these are things that happened in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Watch this Lise. You can actually pinpoint the second when his heart rips in half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Rawr

Watch this Lise. You can actually pinpoint the second when his heart rips in half.

WHUvhiH.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

“You couldn’t fool your mother on the foolingest day of your life if you had an electrified fooling machine.”

• Advertisement

Marge, those people came after us with pitchforks and torches! Torches!

Bart: April Foools

Lou: That sounded like an explosion at the old Simpson place.

Chief Wiggum: Forget it. That's two blocks away.

Lou: Looks like there's beer coming out of the chimney.

Chief Wiggum: I am proceeding on foot. Call in a code 8.

Lou: [on the radio] We need pretzels. Repeat, pretzels.

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Might as well post this here. But there is a little uproar accordingly about an episode that aired in the states a few months ago and that which aired last weekend on Sky One.

It's a flashback episode to where Homer is a teenager in the 90s. So Home-boy is now a millennial. It also means Homer is "younger" than Bart as Bart was 10 when the show started in 1989.

Now, let's get the obvious out of the way. It's a show. It's a cartoon. It's not real :pac:

But it is silly when you look back on some of the classic bits in the Simpsons. Like when homer:

"When I was seventeen,
    I drank some very good beer,
    I drank some very good beer
    I purchased with a fake ID.
    My name was Brian McGee,
    I stayed up listenin' to Queen
    When I was seventeen."
    ... While Abe watches the moonlanding on TV. So homer was a 60s teenager.

Then a couple of years ago they did another flashback episode how Homer and Marge first meet Ned back in the late 90s. Homer and Marge are meant to be late 20s.

Again, it's just a show :pac: but make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Rawr

Might as well post this here. But there is a little uproar accordingly about an episode that aired in the states a few months ago and that which aired last weekend on Sky One.

It's a flashback episode to where Homer is a teenager in the 90s. So Home-boy is now a millennial. It also means Homer is "younger" than Bart as Bart was 10 when the show started in 1989.

Now, let's get the obvious out of the way. It's a show. It's a cartoon. It's not real :pac:

But it is silly when you look back on some of the classic bits in the Simpsons. Like when homer:

"When I was seventeen,
    I drank some very good beer,
    I drank some very good beer
    I purchased with a fake ID.
    My name was Brian McGee,
    I stayed up listenin' to Queen
    When I was seventeen."
    ... While Abe watches the moonlanding on TV. So homer was a 60s teenager.

Then a couple of years ago they did another flashback episode how Homer and Marge first meet Ned back in the late 90s. Homer and Marge are meant to be late 20s.

Again, it's just a show :pac: but make of that what you will.

I think it's been a mistake for them to even re-visit Homer & Marge's past as time moved on. For a show that was maybe going to manage 10-ish seasons it would have been alright, but since we might hit 40(!) seasons they are just asking for weirdness here. They should really avoid any "past" that takes place in a year when The Simpsons was actually airing. Otherwise how is Maggie not in her 30's now?

It's a silly sitcom so strict cannon and logic are optional...but it stopped being fun years ago and lately I do't even watch new episodes because it's borderline upsetting to see the state of the modern show. Doing weird stuff like pushing the "past" forward is harder to ignore when what you're getting in return is not even enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Homer: Hey kids, wanna drive through that cactus patch?
    Kids: Yeah!!!
    Sideshow Bob(under the car): No
    Homer: Two against one.
    *drives through catcus patch*

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Those discrepancies in the years make sense to me - it's a timeless show. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

Hey that's great, i'm gonna eat mayonase!

Lisa: Dad, as you know, we’ve been swimming. And we’ve developed a taste for it. We both agree that getting our own pool is the only way to go. Now before you respond, you must understand that your refusal would result in months and months of—

Lisa and Bart: “Can we have a pool, Dad? Can we have a pool, Dad? Can we have a pool, Dad? Can we have a pool, Dad?”

Homer: I understand. Let us celebrate our new arrangement by the adding of chocolate to milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

Lisa: Dad, as you know, we’ve been swimming. And we’ve developed a taste for it. We both agree that getting our own pool is the only way to go. Now before you respond, you must understand that your refusal would result in months and months of—

Lisa and Bart: “Can we have a pool, Dad? Can we have a pool, Dad? Can we have a pool, Dad? Can we have a pool, Dad?”

Homer: I understand. Let us celebrate our new arrangement by the adding of chocolate to milk.

Honestly used this line a thousand times when I have to do something that the wife wants but I don't

And she still doesn't get it, women eh?

Will you take us to Mount Splashmore

TV reporter: Now, the naturalist who took these absolutely extraordinary pictures was impressed by the creature's uncivilized look, its foul language, and most of all, its indescribable stench.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Lionel Hutz : Mrs. Simpson, you're in luck. Your sexual harassment suit is exactly what I need to help rebuild my shattered practice. Care to join me in a belt of scotch?

Marge : It's 9:30 in the morning.

Lionel Hutz : Yeah, but I haven't slept in days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

We started off like Romeo and Juliet, but it ended in tragedy.

Mr Burns:] Who the devil are you!!!

Homer:My name is Homer Jay Simpson

• Advertisement

And that's the greatest thing ever written. Are you crazy? I can't believe a play where every character is murdered could be so boring!

Son, it's not only a great play, but also became a great movie called Ghostbusters.

Homer: When will I learn? The answer to life's problems aren't at the bottom of a bottle, hehehehe they're on TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Saw a rare gem yesterday, a later season episode that had so many good quotes in it:

Homer: Marge, remember when we were talking about our worst fears?
    Marge: Uh-huh.
    Homer: And mine was snakes, and yours was...?
    Marge: Never being a grandmother.
    Homer: Really? I thought it was Lisa with a beard of bees. Well, whatever, brace yourself.

----

Moe: Listen, Homer: in the back room, I got these super-tough Africanized bees. I saw this ad in a gentleman's magazine for excited African honeys and that's what they sent me. If we could combine them with Lisa's bees, it would make them strong enough to survive any environment.
    Homer: But how are we supposed to combine the DNA of two strains of the same species?
    Moe: Actually, Homer... [whispers]
    Homer: [gasps] You and me?
    Moe: No, the bees!
    Homer: Oh, yeah, yeah, that's what I meant, too. I... have no... inclination.

----

Mayor Quimby: First, one announcement: I regret to inform you we are not offering childcare tonight. I don't know who that guy was you were leaving your kids with.

Marge : He's had a heart-attack! Quick someone do CPR!

Homer Simpson : [singing] I see a bad moon rising...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

THIS TOWN IS UNDER THE STRANGLEHOLD OF A FEW TIE-DYED TREE HUGGERS WHO WOULD RATHER PLAY HACKY SACK THAN LOCK UP THE HOMELESS.

Bart: She put a spell on me!
    Must... drop... pantaloons.

Marge: Let's come to our senses, everyone.
    This witch hunt is turning into a circus.

Marge : He's had a heart-attack! Quick someone do CPR!

Homer Simpson : [singing] I see a bad moon rising...

No no that's CCR :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I don’t like the park, Smithers. Too many fat children

Roger Myers: Here's a witty rejoinder for ya!

• Advertisement

if02ZX.gif

Advertisement