Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saloon/crossover/estate

• 23-04-2021 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone apologies if this has been done to death but I would appreciate your opinions.

I have a 2012 Volvo V60 which is low mileage (90,000 miles) and considering changing simply due to age.
    Just having a casual glance at various models on done deal and there seem to be a significant price difference between Saloon cars and similar crossover/ Suv type cars. Say Passat compared to a regular tiguan.
    Is that correct first of all and if so am I missing something?
    I get people may prefer the looks and the raised driving position but is there some other benefit that I'm missing. (Genuine question I'm not trying to slag off peoples choices looks are an important consideration)
    Obviously off road and towing ability for high powered awd vehicles is a different issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

There is a SUV obsession in Ireland and the market is priced to target it accordingly...it depends on your needs really and what you will be using the car for to weigh up the pro's and cons. There's a time and a place for a large SUV - Dublin city , single and no off road use are not one of them however they sell in the masses with no real requirement for one, for someone single or with one child a saloon is a great choice , an estate is too for people with multiple kids as it gives a LOT of boot space even compared to crossovers.

I recently bought a crossover and I've never really been a fan of them , however I have two kids , a partner and regularly travel up and down the country so it made sense for me this time around and even at that I looked at several and thought they are way too big for what I needed.

Charlie/Mary popping down the shops and doing the school run is a trending target market for large SUV ,how and why I just don't know - there's no real advantage and you'll pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

Suv's tend to be more expensive alright.

If you are thinking of going the Suv route some of those while having the raised driving position can be small inside the cabin so be wise as to your choice

Estate cars or bigger suvs are brilliant because of the boot the way you load things and that has to be a winner practical wise all round

I've had saloon cars and only when I went estate/Suv route there is just no comparison at all

Irishcrx wrote: »
    There is a SUV obsession in Ireland and the market is priced to target it accordingly...it depends on your needs really and what you will be using the car for to weigh up the pro's and cons. There's a time and a place for a large SUV - Dublin city , single and no off road use are not one of them however they sell in the masses with no real requirement for one, for someone single or with one child a saloon is a great choice , an estate is too for people with multiple kids as it gives a LOT of boot space even compared to crossovers.

I recently bought a crossover and I've never really been a fan of them , however I have two kids , a partner and regularly travel up and down the country so it made sense for me this time around and even at that I looked at several and thought they are way too big for what I needed.

Charlie/Mary popping down the shops and doing the school run is a trending target market for large SUV ,how and why I just don't know - there's no real advantage and you'll pay more.

But if Charlie and Mary want an Suv why should they not have one even if it's to stay parked up in their yard all day,each to their own and all that

Like at some stage ill probably maybe might buy the vw id buzz and believe me I certainly won't need it but I'll want it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭joe40

Thanks for the replies.
    Ideally I would probably like to go for another estate, unfortunately a lot of the big brands have exceptionally dull estates. eg Passat estate or Mondeo estate. Probably practical enough but very Boxy.

I could not justify a large AWD SUV for either cost or fuel efficiency so I just looking at crossover type cars. I was slightly shocked at the price difference them and equivalent Saloon cars.

Any suggestions for a good estate. I would prefer to stay away from premium brands (Audi, BMW, Merc) I will be buying second hand budget sub 20,000 so want to avoid hefty repair jobs.

But right know, based on price, my preferred option would be Estate(Limited choice), Saloon, Crossover in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sphinxicus

joe40 wrote: »

Any suggestions for a good estate. I would prefer to stay away from premium brands (Audi, BMW, Merc) I will be buying second hand budget sub 20,000 so want to avoid hefty repair jobs.

I know you mentioned the Mondeo as being dull in one of your posts but I have a mk5 mondeo "hatchback" and the boot is massive on it. We, (2 adults+3 kids) did a road trip over to the south of the UK for 2 weeks pre covid and everything we needed (including scooters/footballs etc.) fit in the boot.

I frequently get 3 of the kids bikes in the boot with the seats still up.

Mine is a 2liter diesel (150PS) i think. They do higher powered engines of the same displacement but with increased vehicle tax so i stuck with the 150 as im no boy racer any more but it still shifts when needed.

I personally don't think they look bad, mine is the Titainium Sport trim so, LED headlights (will never go back to halogen bulbs), bigger alloys, slightly lowered suspension, different front/rear bumpers, grille and side skirts.

Was averaging about 5.5l/100k with a mix of country roads/town and motorway driving before covid struck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭joe40

sphinxicus wrote: »
    I know you mentioned the Mondeo as being dull in one of your posts but I have a mk5 mondeo "hatchback" and the boot is massive on it. We, (2 adults+3 kids) did a road trip over to the south of the UK for 2 weeks pre covid and everything we needed (including scooters/footballs etc.) fit in the boot.

I frequently get 3 of the kids bikes in the boot with the seats still up.

Mine is a 2liter diesel (150PS) i think. They do higher powered engines of the same displacement but with increased vehicle tax so i stuck with the 150 as im no boy racer any more but it still shifts when needed.

I personally don't think they look bad, mine is the Titainium Sport trim so, LED headlights (will never go back to halogen bulbs), bigger alloys, slightly lowered suspension, different front/rear bumpers, grille and side skirts.

Was averaging about 5.5l/100k with a mix of country roads/town and motorway driving before covid struck.

No I quite like the Mondeo, Saloon or hatchback. It was the actual Mondeo estate I was talking about, maybe I'm thinking on an older model.

How do you find it for reliabilty and comfort. I hadn't though about a large hatchback type car. Worth considering I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sphinxicus

joe40 wrote: »

How do you find it for reliabilty and comfort. I hadn't though about a large hatchback type car. Worth considering I think.

Without wanting to jinx myself, ive had it since backend of 2015 and done about 70,000 Km now. Never had anything needed doing to it apart from services. Its as good now as it was when i got it. I found the tyres a bit pricey when i first got it, the wheels are 18" rims and when i had a pothole swallow a wheel it cost a pretty penny to replace the tyre because the "size was hard to come by" according to the lad behind the desk... (take that how you will :rolleyes:).

Handling on it is great if you stick with decent tyres. I put some continentals on it once as i was feeling stingy. Noticed the difference right away so im back to the goodyears again. I put this down to the low profile tyres and the fact the car sits lower with the sports pack. You can really throw it into corners and be confident with it. It rolls a lot less than the mk4 i used to have but its still comfy to drive long distances.

The chairs are half leather and they are more comfy than my expensive office chair and hold you well in corners. I wouldnt say they are bucket seats but they are definately "bucketed". Also, they are heated and electric controlled. The seats can be programmed into position along with the wing mirrors. 3 profiles can be stored and a press of a button on the drivers door, sees the seats and mirrors move to suit that profile. I believe you can also program to a key with the "my key" function so it will adjust to match whatever key is detected.

Room in the back seat is great too for adults and kids. 2 isofix points. You will not get 3 seperate child seats in if you want to use the isofix points but can squeeze them in without. We actually ended up getting a multimac seat and its awesome.

Only thing i would moan about is that the missus is consistantly struggling with the keyless entry. You have to touch the inside of the door handle for the car to unlock, she seems incapable of doing it first time. I and the kids have no issues with it.

Looking at that I sound like a Mondeo evangelist...

forestgirl wrote: »
    Suv's tend to be more expensive alright.

If you are thinking of going the Suv route some of those while having the raised driving position can be small inside the cabin so be wise as to your choice

Estate cars or bigger suvs are brilliant because of the boot the way you load things and that has to be a winner practical wise all round

I've had saloon cars and only when I went estate/Suv route there is just no comparison at all

I've four cars at the minute so I absolutely cannot throw at glass houses , people can buy what they want I couldn't care less - I was just answering the OP's question on trends...

I totally agree but my post wasn't meant to be directed at you personally, I said it because on these threads you hear people give out about the mum doing the school run in the big 7 seater with one little kid,where as I think she can do the school run on a 5 wheeled bicycle if that should suit her😂

I would definitely support you having 4 cars

forestgirl wrote: »
    I totally agree but my post wasn't meant to be directed at you personally, I said it because on these threads you hear people give out about the mum doing the school run in the big 7 seater with one little kid,where as I think she can do the school run on a 5 wheeled bicycle if that should suit her��

I would definitely support you having 4 cars

Your right they do generally decent into that sort of thing , originally I think it was based on the thought of big SUV's having massive petrol guzzling engines and plotting around to the school instead of walking etc , in reality majority of them these days are small petrol turbo's or hybrids and a 00's hot hatch would have a worst fuel burn...

What I will say is that on the school run they can be a nightmare when they are blocking up small roads , parking all over the shop and mounting the kerb - my sons school has a tight road and it can be a bit much but never the less yeah, sure buy what you want...the point was a Passat Saloon in not less expensive a car because it's any worst (Or in reality a smaller car than some corssovers in terms of storage or internal space) it's simply that it's a SUV heavy market and dealers know this so they will charge more for what will sell...same a few years ago when everything was ' Buy a Diesel' and they would charge more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’m with you OP, I’d much prefer an estate than an SUV. I had a 2015 Mondeo hatchback, and agree it has a huge and easily accessible boot. Nice car to drive, but the touchscreen is a pain and the angle of it reflects every single finger print or smudge.
    I changed it for a Kuga as Mrs RR wanted an SUV, I don’t particularly like the driving position or the drive. I’d get another Mondeo but in the estate version in a heartbeat, though a Skoda Superb estate is currently top of my shopping list.

I'd pick an estate also

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@ OP If you want a stylish, classy estate and practically new as well then have a look at this,

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/kia/pro-ceed/fpa/202008242869379?journey=Search

It might be slightly over your budget but its practically brand new, has a big boot and comes with a 7 year warranty.
    You are not going to find too many stylish estates but this one is one of the best looking ones out there and that colour too is stunning.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement