Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT

• 24-04-2021 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭

Hi there

We were given a quote by a company to lay patio. He said ex VAT and of course can’t figure out if VAT is 23% because of the product or 13.5% because he’s providing a service.

I’ve a funny feeling it’s the expensive one. Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭techdiver

VAT on construction is 13.5%. It is a bugbear of mine though. Quote what you will be taking from me. It's pointless quoting ex vat to private individuals.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,922 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If you're providing the material, then he's most likely charging you 23%.

The simple thing to do is to actually ask him what the total cost is.

You won't get the actual answer to your quotation here as boards.ie doesnt lay paving slabs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭scwazrh

techdiver wrote: »
    VAT on construction is 13.5%. It is a bugbear of mine though. Quote what you will be taking from me. It's pointless quoting ex vat to private individuals.

Not always ,if the materials value is 2/3rds of the invoice amount , 23% vat is to be applied, if it’s not then the 13.5% rate is to be used

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭hold my beer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    If you're providing the material, then he's most likely charging you 23%.

The simple thing to do is to actually ask him what the total cost is.

You won't get the actual answer to your quotation here as boards.ie doesnt lay paving slabs

If the OP is providing the materials it's definitely 13.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

And not all builders will be registered for charging vat at 13.5%, and then not all builders will be registered for vat at all if their earnings do not pass the threshold... And wait for it... Not all builders want deal with paperwork ;)

Check the vat number on the quote to see if it's legit. And just ask the question as total price as mentioned above!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,861 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

techdiver wrote:

That's not 100 percent correct. Its 13.5 percent if materials cost less than 2/3 of the overall price. If materials are more than 2/3 then vat is 23 percent.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    That's not 100 percent correct. Its 13.5 percent if materials cost less than 2/3 of the overall price. If materials are more than 2/3 then vat is 23 percent.

They mean construction services, which is correct.

They mean construction services, which is correct.

I'm a plumber & services have 23 and 13.5 percent vat. It's based on the 2/3 rule. OP is talking about laying patio. This also falls under the 2/3 rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭karlitob

Wow. Thanks all. Didn’t think I’d get so many (differing) responses.

I’ll ask of course but materials are less than 2/3rds. So it’s 13.5%

karlitob wrote:
    I’ll ask of course but materials are less than 2/3rds. So it’s 13.5%

This is why it should work out cheaper for the tradesman to supply the materials.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm a plumber & services have 23 and 13.5 percent vat. It's based on the 2/3 rule. OP is talking about laying patio. This also falls under the 2/3 rule.

Yes similarly, plumbing services are 13.5%, subject to the 2/3 rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭MacDanger

karlitob wrote: »
    Hi there

We were given a quote by a company to lay patio. He said ex VAT and of course can’t figure out if VAT is 23% because of the product or 13.5% because he’s providing a service.

I’ve a funny feeling it’s the expensive one. Any ideas? Thanks

On a partially related note - what is the VAT payable to an architect? 23? Or 13.5?

Thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 40,922 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

MacDanger wrote: »
    On a partially related note - what is the VAT payable to an architect? 23? Or 13.5?

Thanks

23% unfortunately

Advertisement