Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whinging feminists in the media

• 24-04-2021 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

I broadly support feminism in terms of equal pay.
    I also support more female politicians though I think the 40% candidate rule too much too soon. Means some decent male candidates getting dumped.
    I know sexual harassment and attacks are real events.
    I think possibly that they are on the increase due to various factors. I'm not sure what the solution is but please don't pretend it can be sorted out with an education program.
    However I'm a bit tired of every single newspaper having at least one moaning feminist per day.
    You never see any articles about male issues. Issues on which men come out worse than women

Comments

Gender quotas are the opposite of a meritocracy, therefore I am steadfastly against them. Having the most qualified candidates stepped over because they are the wrong gender makes zero sense to me. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,540 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Bobtheman wrote: »
    However I'm a bit tired of every single newspaper having at least one moaning feminist per day.
    You never see any articles about male issues. Issues on which men come out worse than women
    The Current Affairs forum does its very very best in attempting to balance things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I also support more female politicians though I think the 40% candidate rule too much too soon. Means some decent male candidates getting dumped.

In theory, yes. In practice though, it just means that a mediocre man loses out to a mediocre woman.

Big change in number of women on Radio and TV. Very common to see men outnumbered on current affairs and news programs. 2FM presenters must be 70% women now. Yet we are continually bombarded with propaganda bout how disadvantaged they are. So tedious.

And the newspapers need to drop the regular feminist troll articles they have. Unfortunately they must get lots of clicks and interaction which translates to money so it’s not going to end until people stop clicking on those articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think possibly that they are on the increase due to various factors. I'm not sure what the solution is but please don't pretend it can be sorted out with an education program.

FFS. Here we go again.

Its a new broadcasting authority rule. For every 10 threads on Boards complaining about anything with feminism in the title, they are entitled to have an article published in a paper.

If you really care about the lack of coverage of male issues, go write an opinion piece for a newspaper, ring in to Joe Duffy, start a facebook group or do any of the things that advocates for other causes have done to draw attention to their plight.

Do you think the solution to male problems are to stop women talking about theirs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Like ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Sure even the tea bag companies are at it Ted!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

just another grift at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

What’s worse whinging feminists or whinging about feminists?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Gatling wrote: »
    Like ??

Life Expectancy
    Suicide
    Homelessness
    Child Custody
    Sentencing
    War
    Working Hours
    Workplace Deaths

Etc.

• Advertisement

There is no way the sort of articles these professional feminist trolls write about men and boys would be tolerated if it was men writing them about women and girls.

I thought the aim was equality not revengefulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think I should qualify it somewhat
    It's whinging feminists giving out about men. Youd think we were rampaging rapists to read some of the stuff.
    As to what are male issues. We die younger. Kill ourselves more and have more special needs in education.
    The achievements of men are brushed under the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Write an article and submit it then.

Sonics2k wrote: »

Valid suggestion
    Might do it sometime but I doubt they'd publish it
    Anyway have cancelled my Irish Times and ind. Subscription.
    It's a start

The promotion and objectifying of Sarah mc by the media last week says it all. Her Co host got no layer after layer of media coverage with pics to promote her new slot on prime time.
    She is a good journalist but they might as well put her out in a bikini for the way they carried on

Women wanting it both ways in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

CageWager wrote: »
    Life Expectancy
    Suicide
    Homelessness
    Child Custody
    Sentencing
    War
    Working Hours
    Workplace Deaths

Etc.

All which effect men and women ...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

FFS. Here we go again.

Its a new broadcasting authority rule. For every 10 threads on Boards complaining about anything with feminism in the title, they are entitled to have an article published in a paper.

If you really care about the lack of coverage of male issues, go write an opinion piece for a newspaper, ring in to Joe Duffy, start a facebook group or do any of the things that advocates for other causes have done to draw attention to their plight.

Do you think the solution to male problems are to stop women talking about theirs?

Have to love responses like this, completely misses the point.

The poster never mentioned anything about stopping women talking about issues. His issue is that almost daily you'll find an article somewhere from a feminist complaining about men/boys. Its almost like its wrong to be male or masculine in anyway in these people's eyes.

The posters point about articles about male issues not being published is also very valid.

I'd hate to be a teenage boy growing up in this country these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Season 2 wrote: »
    Big change in number of women on Radio and TV. Very common to see men outnumbered on current affairs and news programs. 2FM presenters must be 70% women now. Yet we are continually bombarded with propaganda bout how disadvantaged they are. So tedious.

And the newspapers need to drop the regular feminist troll articles they have. Unfortunately they must get lots of clicks and interaction which translates to money so it’s not going to end until people stop clicking on those articles.

Turned on the sky sports football show a few mornings during the week.

If you are white and male you ain't on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

But on nowhere near the same scale and you know this.

I think I should qualify it somewhat
    It's whinging feminists giving out about men. Youd think we were rampaging rapists to read some of the stuff.
    As to what are male issues. We die younger. Kill ourselves more and have more special needs in education.
    The achievements of men are brushed under the carpet.

First point in bold. Can you link some of these articles from todays papers given you said that are in every paper every day.

Second point in bold.

Men and their actions have dominated the narrative since media became a business. In recent years, women have started to gain more prominence as it was recognized and attention was drawn to the fact that there should be no reason why they didn't. For some people to be frustrated, as was said above, that some times women outnumber men on panel discussions is just jaw-dropping in the narrow focus as to when this happens or for the decades in which they weren't even in the room.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Men fair significantly worse in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The ones that go too far are just a function of the fact that there are actually feminist activists to begin with. You don't see mens rights groups with sensible ideas and you don't see mens rights activists going too far and you don't have any popular momentum (for the very real and serious issues that effect men more than women). Those three things are connected.

The ones that goo too far are a function of activism. Women's tights groups activate and campaign for changes in spite of the opposition. Men's rights groups don't and it's a pity.

FFS. Here we go again.

Imagine saying that about female issues

CageWager wrote: »
    Life Expectancy
    Suicide
    Homelessness
    Child Custody
    Sentencing
    War
    Working Hours
    Workplace Deaths

Etc.

All valid topics of discussion.

So, why don't we see threads started on them here but instead the weekly ones targeting women who have chosen to try to do something to make their own and others lives better?

I would actively take part in discussions on the above and I would guess that the most supportive and encouraging voices on these topics would probably be the same posters who are supportive and encouraging towards women advocating in one way or another.

Unfortunately, I suspect too many would use such threads solely to have a dig at the system/government/media who they say are entirely women focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

So, why don't we see threads started on them here but instead the weekly ones targeting women who have chosen to try to do something to make their own and others better?

I would actively take part in discussions on the above and I would guess that the most supportive and encouraging voices on these topics would probably be the same posters who are supportive and encouraging towards women advocating in one way or another.

Unfortunately, I suspect too many would use such threads solely to have a dig at the system/government/media who they say are entirely women focused.

There was a thread recently discussing that Men’s Aid didn’t have money to keep their phone lines open, it was a busy thread with a lot of talk about how women’s support lines weren’t closed or that feminists weren’t helping Men’s Aid.

Someone suggested donating directly to Men’s Aid to support them and a new thread was created but only 3 or 4 people donated.

People are more interested in ranting about women and feminists than actually doing anything to help men or men’s rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭purifol0

Sonics2k wrote: »
    That's called a letter

Articles that get into the paper are there because those people are often a mouthpiece for an interest group. Joe Soap can write an excellent article - no one will publish it.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    There was a thread recently discussing that Men’s Aid didn’t have money to keep their phone lines open, it was a busy thread with a lot of talk about how women’s support lines weren’t closed or that feminists weren’t helping Men’s Aid.

Someone suggested donating directly to Men’s Aid to support them and a new thread was created but only 3 or 4 people donated.

People are more interested in ranting about women and feminists than actually doing anything to help men or men’s rights.

Bull****. People pay taxes, yet there isnt an equal or even slightly fair distribution by the state onto which gender support groups those go on.

The Irish times and the guardian seem to be where most of the whinging feminists and their male underlings shout loudest from.

The buildings are sexist
    Covid is sexist
    Everything is sexist and discrimination against me. Change everything, cancel everything else. Life isn't fair, I want more.

So, why don't we see threads started on them here but instead the weekly ones targeting women who have chosen to try to do something to make their own and others lives better?

Discriminating against men isn't OK even if it makes their lives better.

https://www.thejournal.ie/women-only-professorships-not-discriminating-against-men-4954183-Jan2020/

Legalized gender discrimination is disgusting, an if boardsies point it out you call this whining?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I have a friend who did a PhD in gender studies.

She told me she was the only person in the department who:

a) didn't hate men

b) had a relationship with a man

She said the entire department was either man hating lesbians or mentally ill heterosexual women who hate men so much they date women.

My friend is very normal and nice, I don't know how she got through it.

Most feminists I've met are either dumb or mentally ill. I think most of them on TV and in the publishing world are just grifters.

There's a lot of money in victimhood.

Advertisement