Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyandai i40 1.7

• 24-04-2021 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭

Thinking of purshing one: with low milage 2015

I have read many problems like clutch and gear box

I do alot of driving, should I be worried?

What is the perks to this model

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Definitely better motors out there to be honest.

i40 is no more also as SUV range takes over that segment.

I'd be looking at Audi A6, Skoda superb or Octavia, Passat, Passat cc,

Depends on your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

C__MC wrote: »

What is the perks to this model

People think you’re a Guard and get out of your way

colm_mcm wrote: »
    People think you’re a Guard and get out of your way

Very true, always reminds me of the Mondeo faze, amount of times it saved me especially at night knowing what lights were in the mirror...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

They're an unpleasant yoke IMO.

Gearboxes give trouble, clutchs give trouble, clutch master cylinders give trouble, everything plastic melts on them, melting intake manifolds and rocker covers wouldn't be uncommon, throttle body failure is popular, coolant rads are prone to swelling and bursting, engine oil leaks from the timing casing, radio headunit failure is popular, outer door handles breaking off, tail lights leaking water, all very popular.

They're a nasty nasty car from an owners point of view.

The only saving grace is they are mechanically fairly basic, so fixing them outside the dealer network (gearbox aside) is usually cheap enough.

Swirl flap motor failure is popular, so is the LED strip failing in the higher spec headlights, controls for the electrically adjustable driver seat are a given to fail, on cars with steering wheel controls the volume flip switch is prone to snapping off, keyblades snap out of the keyfobs...

The more i think, you really wouldn't recommend one to your worst enemy.

• Advertisement

And lets not forget the whole coolant loss, incorrect cylinder head bolts, head gasket thing.

What actually goes right may well be easier to mention, it's that bad....
    No wonder see so many Garda ones on flat beds.....

Great high powered addition to the fleet especially for roads policing..... Sarcasm

Most of the Garda stuff is covered by the 5 years unlimited kms warranty though so i'd say they dont give a hoot once it's fixed and back in action relatively quick. I'd say the bulk of Garda stuff is decomissioned before it's 5 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

Are they that bad though did see an aa man at a 151 the other day.

ofcork wrote: »
    Are they that bad though did see an aa man at a 151 the other day.

Yes

• Advertisement

Most of the Garda stuff is covered by the 5 years unlimited kms warranty though so i'd say they dont give a hoot once it's fixed and back in action relatively quick. I'd say the bulk of Garda stuff is decomissioned before it's 5 years of age.

Imagine what that's costing, not great have unreliable motors out there when they need to be up to such a hard task....

I'd say they go through some amount of clutches

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

Was considering one before i bought my avensis but didnt like the small alloys glad i didnt now,liked the rear with the twin exhausts even if it was overkill on a 1.7!!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

Aren't Garda cars all serviced at Ford dealers for which they have a contract with Ford Ireland?

If AGS Garda cars are covered under the 5 year 100k warranty, you can be sure Hyundai Irekand has a different approach in goodwill or what's covered in their warranty when it comes to a warranty claim, Do you think the Garda drivers care who's paying for it?

Also, a Ford dealer is more likely charge AGS full whack for repair even if it could be considered a warranty claim. AGS won't waste their time arguing with Hyundai Ireland for a warranty claim neither will a Ford dealer.

I never suggested the Garda drivers care who pays the bills.

The service contract for the Garda fleet has been with Hyundai for quite some time now. Afaik they get the same 5 years, unlimited mileage warranty, the same as privately owned cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

Imagine what that's costing, not great have unreliable motors out there when they need to be up to such a hard task....

I'd say they go through some amount of clutches

I'd say someone got a nice little backhander to get that contract.

I never suggested the Garda drivers care who pays the bills.

The service contract for the Garda fleet has been with Hyundai for quite some time now. Afaik they get the same 5 years, unlimited mileage warranty, the same as privately owned cars.

Would you mind sharing the source that leads you to that opinion?

I've heard about that ford contract too....

I've heard about that ford contract too....

Yes me too as I mentioned, but I was referring to Hyundai and if AGS cars get the same as the 5 year warranty?

Hyundais used as Taxis have the warranty reduced to 3 years, this is available online
    here

For PSV and Taxi’s warranty period is 3 years or 100,000kms from the date of delivery to the original purchaser, whichever comes first.

https://www.hyundai.ie/5-year-unlimited-mileage-warranty

I'd find it difficut to believe that Hyundai give AGS a 5 year warranty for cars that are battered and treated like ****e by people that don't care or don't own them, meanwhile only give Taxi drivers many of whom are owner driven and treated exceptionally get only a 3 year warranty. Plus Toyotafanboi can't back up his reason other than he thinks so!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

I would imagine the fact that AGS are buying hundreds of cars versus one or two by a taxi operator would swing it for them.

Yes me too as I mentioned, but I was referring to Hyundai and if AGS cars get the same as the 5 year warranty?

Hyundais used as Taxis have the warranty reduced to 3 years, this is available online
    here

For PSV and Taxi’s warranty period is 3 years or 100,000kms from the date of delivery to the original purchaser, whichever comes first.

https://www.hyundai.ie/5-year-unlimited-mileage-warranty

I'd find it difficut to believe that Hyundai give AGS a 5 year warranty for cars that are battered and treated like ****e by people that don't care or don't own them, meanwhile only give Taxi drivers many of whom are owner driven and treated exceptionally get only a 3 year warranty. Plus Toyotafanboi can't back up his reason other than he thinks so!

When Ford was supplying Garda cars they wanted to make lots of volume sales and be No.1. Hyundai are in that mode at the moment.

• Advertisement

AGS do get the 5 year unlimited kms warranty. Sure the Gards are savage customers of Hyundai, buying hundreds of cars, each car getting 20 services and 20 health checks, all body repairs etc.

There’s a very interesting story I read about how Hyundai got the contract for the Metropolitan Police in the UK. An ex Rover employee who handled government contracts retired and offered his services to a guy he knew in Hyundai UK for similar work. They apparently couldn’t afford to pay him a salary so offered him a quite lucrative fee for every car he sold. The guy was obviously well connected from his Rover days, and he only went on to sell an absolute load of cars to the police, and became the highest earner in Hyundai UK.

Advertisement