Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension/Renovation First Sketches - Opinions Sought

• 21-04-2021 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all,
    We’re at that really exciting stage where the architect has given us some initial sketches. Early doors yet, but I’d love to get some thoughts from those seasoned veterans amongst you.
    Fairly standard questions like:

> Do the rooms seem big enough/fit for purpose?
    > Any creative ideas?
    > Have we missed any must haves in your opinion?
    > Does the layout flow in your opinion?

And of course anything else that comes to mind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭narodvale

We’ve mainly focusing on these two options

Scale is 1:100 @ A4

Red outline is the original walls

Few free to let me know if I can clarify anything

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

It would be nice to get some of the morning sun through that side front door where the utility is on the option A. You are very lucky to be south-west facing so you get all that sunlight anyway for most of the day

Completely agree with you James it would be lovely to get some morning light. We’re bang on East to West, East at the front for the morning light, and the sun goes down over the back garden.

I’m worried we don’t currently have enough utility or storage space, so I wonder if we could use skylights over the kitchen cleverly to try and bring more light in.

Very fair point though, it would be so nice to get morning sun through

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

B all the way for me. Dining and kitchen look to be in a 'happier'/more natural place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

yeah b is the one, nice little design

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

B. It means your not looking at the kitchen.

Looks like B is definitely the winner here.

We’re a little concerned that we won’t have enough storage space, and at the location of the utility room with B.

The study also becomes a lot smaller and we’d hope that might be a bedroom option or teenagers tv room

B & keep utility smaller off the kitchen.

BryanF wrote: »
    B & keep utility smaller off the kitchen.

Architect has suggested switching the w/c and utility here to combine the utility and boot room for a bigger space.

I’m a bit concerned about cost though as the wall between boot and w/c is load bearing

narodvale wrote: »
    Architect has suggested switching the w/c and utility here to combine the utility and boot room for a bigger space.

I’m a bit concerned about cost though as the wall between boot and w/c is load bearing

You’re building your own house. Get the layout right. If you’re worried about costs, reduce the room sizes by 5%

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    You’re building your own house. Get the layout right. If you’re worried about costs, reduce the room sizes by 5%

Very fair call.

Good to hear that actually, can get bogged down in how crippling expensive it is to build at the moment sometimes

Advertisement