Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortgage Approval

Options
  • 22-04-2021 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

About to apply for a mortgage , has anyone had any problems with a monthly bitcoin purchase on their application? Or is it viewed as gambling

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

About to apply for a mortgage , has anyone had any problems with a monthly bitcoin purchase on their application? Or is it viewed as gambling

A bullrun going on and you want to go give money to a bank?! :pac::pac:

Jokes aside I too would be interested to hear the bank's feelings on it these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The bank want to see proof of savings, income and that you pay your rent on time. They won’t see it as a negative but probably won’t recognise it as an asset unless you can prove you have it and even the it’s considered volatile as it could half overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Can stablecoins be used as a proof of your deposit lol? Someday hopefully ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

https://blockfi.com/

apparently these lads will lend you fiat using crypto as collateral
    havent dealt with them myself so cant vouch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I've had regularish Coinbase payments and I got approval without it even being queried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

I've had regularish Coinbase payments and I got approval without it even being queried.

Which bank?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

HGVRHKYY wrote: »
    Which bank?

BOI, AIB and PTSB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JibJabWibWab

RegularISH is not the same as monthly payments...

RegularISH is not the same as monthly payments...

They would be monthly payments over the last six months or so, just not setup as a recurring payment on my end - i.e. different dates each month.

Never even queried by any bank, but to be honest the payments are a tiny fraction of my overall savings and so on. I'd imagine if there were any 'red flags' then they might start asking questions just like they would for any other expenses over a prolonged period of time.

I think it does demonstrate that the banks I was dealing with don't have a blanket policy of rejecting applicants based on making investments in crypto via the larger exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

When I asked about it (with EBS) they more or less said this whole "one lottery transaction and you're blacklisted" thing is an urban legend. OH invests and I'd been worried too. He said once it's coming out of disposable income, so after you show repayability, it doesn't matter.

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote: »
    When I asked about it (with EBS) they more or less said this whole "one lottery transaction and you're blacklisted" thing is an urban legend. OH invests and I'd been worried too. He said once it's coming out of disposable income, so after you show repayability, it doesn't matter.

Yeah that is similar advice that I got in relation to spending on betting sites (which I don't do to be fair) and so on. Banks don't seem to take issue with if you have plenty of disposable income and it is not impacting on the stability of your monthly finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

They might ask to see a statement of your crypto exchange account showing that payments issued from your bank account are indeed hitting that exchange account (to make sure the payments you are making are going to your own exchange account and not someone else’s).

Besides that I don’t think it’s a problem.

Advertisement