Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Monday/Tuesday 19-20/4/2021

A) Paused Goblet Squat (3s pause)
    30kg x 4 x 16

B1) Paused Wide-Grip Push Ups (4s pause at the bottom)
    4 x 11
    1 x 11

B2) Straight Arm Pulldowns
    Green x 5 x Max

C1) DB Rows 
    30kg x 3 x 17 e/s
    30kg x 19 e/s

C2) OH Tricep Extension 
    5 x Max

Hoping I only have another 4 weeks or so to work out at home.

Weird, uncomfortable sensation on the outside of my left leg. Hip-related...not sure if ITB or what. Wasn't sure I'd be doing squats but gave them a go. Definitely had to work to stop myself drifting with more weight through my right side.

Anyway, upped the pause at the bottom of the wide grip push ups to 4s. F***. Can really feel the contraction on the last few reps. 11 probably seemed like an unusual number for reps in a set but I just based it off the first set and stopped where I felt I had 2-3 left in the tank.

Time is going to be a big squeezed this week and next with work as it is so I'm happy enough to get through that much. Obviously devo about not getting into rollouts...

Wednesday/Thursday 14-15/4/2021

A1) Paused DB Floor Press (3s pause)
    30kgs x 4 x 12
    30kgs x 17

A2) Purple Band Pull Aparts 
    5 x 23

B1) Tempo & Pause Narrow Push Ups  on handles (32X0)
    4 x 13
    1 x 13 (+2)

B2) Banded Shrugs
    5 x Max

C1) Paused Side Bends
    30kg x 4 x 33 e/s

C2) Front Raises 
    5 x Max 

Pretty happy with the floor pressing. Thought I'd be doing well to match the last week with 15 on the AMRAP so 17 was a pleasant surprise. Metronome is such a game changer for making sure you can't speed up a count like you might be

• Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Nice set of 34kg DB’s on DoneDeal for 260

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Nice set of 34kg DB’s on DoneDeal for 260

Gymless have a pair of 40s for €270.

I will be buying neither.

Friday/Saturday 1/5/2021

A1) Hamstring Curls
    5 x Max

A2) Tempo Push Ups on handles (40X0)
    4 x 14
    1 x 16

B1) Banded Leg Extensions
    5 x Max e/s

B2) Face Pulls
    5 x Max

C1) Banded Row
    5 x Max

C2) Tricep Pushdown
    5 x Max

Have had a whopper of a last 7-10 days with work so workouts took a back seat. But I expected that would be the case so that was fine.

Hip has been feeling decent so rested hip hinging - those if extra break might help it progress even more - and just did hamstring curls for a hamstring pump.

Normal service is resumed from now.

• Advertisement

Monday/Tuesday 3-4/5/2021

A) Tempo Goblet Squat (30X0)
    30kg x 5 x 17

4 x 11
    1 x 12

Green x 5 x Max

C1) DB Rows 
    30kg x 4 x 17 e/s
    30kg x 20 e/s

C2) OH Tricep Extension 
    5 x Max

D) 'Weighted'(with band) Planks
    5 x Max 

Didn't expect the tempo squat to feel as hard as the paused but they did. Really worked on making sure I didn't drift to the right and almost overcompensate for it.
    Can't wait to get back under the bar though. Will feel weak as f**k at first I'm sure but that just means room to feel like progressing all over again.

Christ but the wide grip push ups felt tough...shaking from early on.

Couldn't be arsëd going downstairs to get the ab wheel - had been up and down like a yoyo - so did banded planks. Red band sets were 50-55s so switched up to purple band and they were 25-30s. 

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Good work , be interesting to see how your workouts change when gyms open . Your workouts at the moment seem very similar each day ? Will you do a like alternate a big compound movement each day when you have access to gym?
    Great discipline on the 4 seconds holds .

So can you do that Sally-up , Sally down challenge where you get in press up position and follow the lyrics ? You must be ideal candidate for it with your paused stuff . I must give it another try did terrible when I tried it last year . I don't know anyone that did the whole song . No pressure :D

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Good work , be interesting to see how your workouts change when gyms open . Your workouts at the moment seem very similar each day ? Will you do a like alternate a big compound movement each day when you have access to gym?
    Great discipline on the 4 seconds holds .

So can you do that Sally-up , Sally down challenge where you get in press up position and follow the lyrics ? You must be ideal candidate for it with your paused stuff . I must give it another try did terrible when I tried it last year . I don't know anyone that did the whole song . No pressure :D

The heavier movement on each day is a squat, hinge and press across the 3 workouts. There are push-up variations across each workout because I can work that volume.

Then I get in pulling-type movements - pulldowns, rows, face pulls, pull aparts, etc.

When I'm in the gym, I don't tend to have a day focused on squat, bench and deadlift. I will have a day where each of those is my main lift and there may be a variation that same day but my training isn't separated into silos like that per se.

It will be variations for the first block I'd say. Ones that make you go lighter.

But looking back at when I went back after lockdown 2, I had front squat one session, squat on another; wide grip bench one session, double-pause on another. Only a hip hinge once because trying to spare the hip for those but doing lots of back work as well.

ETA: not sure how I'd do on that Bring Sally Up challenge. The pauses at the bottom are ~4s but I wouldn't be doing them on handles. Pretty sure I wouldn't get through all 3.5 mins though:pac:

I wasn't quite fresh given the floor presses earlier but 1.30 on the nose. Probably not far off what I thought.

The hold at the bottom is ~4s and then there is a longer one that's about 8s. The second one of the longer holds is what took the wind from my sails.

I wasn't quite fresh given the floor presses earlier but 1.30 on the nose. Probably not far off what I thought.

The hold at the bottom is ~4s and then there is a longer one that's about 8s. The second one of the longer holds is what took the wind from my sails.

Great effort I'll have a go and report back the longer one killed me too if I remember correctly , it's over a year since I tried .
    It's a good little challenge , go again fresh 2 mins you got it !

• Advertisement

Wednesday/Thursday 5-6/5/2021

A) Paused DB Floor Press (3s pause)
    30kgs x 4 x 13
    30kgs x 15

B1) Purple Band Pull Aparts 
    5 x Max

B2) Banded Shrugs
    5 x Max

C1) Paused Side Bends
    30kg x 4 x 33 e/s

C2) Front Raises 
    5 x Max 

D) Tempo & Pause Narrow Push Ups  on handles (33X0)
    4 x 12
    1 x 13

After last week's solid AMRAP on floor press, I pushed the sets up by 1. Happy with how that went.

Added an extra second to the pause at the bottom of the push ups just to make it a bit harder. Always trying to make it so that I'm not just banging out high rep sets while still pushing the sets.

D) Tempo & Pause Narrow Push Ups on handles (33X0)
    4 x 12
    1 x 13

Sorry to block up your log but it'a been bugging me what exactly is this .
    33x0 ? Is that 33 push ups not on handles ?

4 X 12
    1 X 13
    Is that like 5 sets of 12 last set amrap you got 13 ?

Thanks

D) Tempo & Pause Narrow Push Ups on handles (33X0)
    4 x 12
    1 x 13

Sorry to block up your log but it'a been bugging me what exactly is this .
    33x0 ? Is that 33 push ups not on handles ?

4 X 12
    1 X 13
    Is that like 5 sets of 12 last set amrap you got 13 ?

Thanks

It's just how a tempo is written. 3 seconds down, 3 second pause, explode up and no pause at the top. There's usually a pause but it's always just written that way. If it was just normal push up it would be something like 10X0. A 3s pause at the bottom would be 13X0. I only ever include it if I'm doing a tempo

Time on way down - time at bottom - time on way up - time at top.

If I have two lines, its usually because there's an AMRAP. So it was 4x12 and then the AMRAP was for 13 reps. I just find it easier to read for myself

Friday/Saturday 7-8/5/2021

A1) Lying Hamstring Curls
    5 x Max

4 x 14
    1 x 17

5 x Max e/s

B2) Face Pulls
    5 x Max

C1) Banded Row
    4 x Max

C2) Tricep Pushdown
    5 x Max

Tried doing RDLs but it was just giving me twinges in the hip so I just switched to banded hamstring curls. Ended up switching to single leg curls for the last 3 sets. Lighter band and more reps. DOMS today.

Tempo push ups were hard...but managed an extra rep on last time but only just. Im interested to see how my bench has held up. I'll take a few weeks getting used to a bar again but see how things are then.

Monday/Tuesday 10-11/5/2021

A) Tempo Goblet Squat (40X0)
    30kg x 6 x 17

4 x 12
    1 x 13

Green x 5 x Max

C1) DB Rows 
    30kg x 4 x 18 e/s
    30kg x 18 e/s

C2) OH Tricep Extension 
    (Green band) 5 x Max

D) Weighted Plank  (purple band)
    5 x Max  (~30s)

Increased the tempo on the squat to 4s rather than just up the reps again. Work the positions a bit...well, insofar as you can with a 30kg 'goblet'.

One thing I will really need to focus on?  when I get back to the gym, is keeping as upright as I can. That minimises the hip discomfort. So I really need to drill that so that when it comes to the heavier weights, I don't lean where it's sore cos that will just limit how much I can so with heavier weights.7

Massive brain fart and did the wide grip push ups with a 4s tempo rather than a 4s pause. Durrrr. Not really a biggie all the same.

Wednesday/Thursday 12-13/5/2021

30kgs x 4 x 13
    30kgs x 16

5 x Max

B2) Banded Shrugs
    5 x Max

C1) Paused Side Bends
    30kg x 4 x 35 e/s

C2) Front Raises 
    5 x Max 

4 x 12
    1 x 14

Floor press was decent in some ways. But couple too many loose reps.

Shoulders felt a little shítty. Not sore or anything though....just kinda tired.

Anyway, done. Tick.

Friday/Saturday 14-15/5/2021

5 x Max

A2) Paused Push Ups on handles (14X0)
    4 x 12
    1 x 15

5 x Max e/s

B2) Face Pulls
    5 x Max

C1) Banded Row
    5 x Max

C2) Tricep Pushdown
    4 x Max

All of the things done. Some meetings have their uses...I can get some of the exercises done during them.

Can get a serious quad burn in the quads from the leg extensions

Friday/Saturday 14-15/5/2021

5 x Max

A2) Paused Push Ups on handles (14X0)
    4 x 12
    1 x 15

5 x Max e/s

B2) Face Pulls
    5 x Max

C1) Banded Row
    5 x Max

C2) Tricep Pushdown
    4 x Max

All of the things done. Some work meetings have their uses...I can get some of the exercises done during them.

Can get a serious quad burn in the quads from the leg extensions

Monday/Tuesday 17-18/5/2021

30kg x 6 x 18

3 x 12

Green x 5 x Max

C1) DB Rows 
    30kg x 4 x 18 e/s
    30kg x 20 e/s

C2) OH Tricep Extension 
    (Green band) 5 x Max

5 x Max  (~30s)

Little things with the goblet squats have been useful in terms of making little changes when I get back in the gym. Felt good.

Shoulders were feeling a little too worn so kept the push ups to 3 sets. A little work but not pushing it

Wednesday/Thursday 19-20/5/2021

30kgs x 4 x 13
    30kgs x 17

5 x Max

B2) Banded Shrugs
    5 x Max

C1) Side Bends
    5 x Max

C2) Front Raises 
    5 x Max 

4 x 12
    1 x 14

Was surprised I was able to get 17 reps on last set of floor press. I'm reining it in a little but probably need to drop it a bit for a few days to rest my shoulders. Not sore...just feeling like they've been doing a lot.

• Advertisement

Friday/Saturday 21-22/5/2021

A1) Unilateral Lying Hamstring Curls
    5 x Max e/s

A2) Banded Reverse Flyes
    5 x Max e/s

5 x Max e/s

B2) Face Pulls
    5 x Max

C1) Banded Row
    5 x Max

C2) Tricep Pushdown
    5 x Max

Skipped push ups that I normally do for A2. Feels like my shoulders could do with a break. Did reverse flyes instead to keep an exercise in there.

I've been doing an extra set on the left leg witH leg extensions since the sports doc measured a slight imbalance with that leg being slightly smaller, which makes sense given how squats have been drifting to away from the side of the hip problem...so correcting that and doing a touch more work on the left in the short term.

18 weeks done. Only 2 more until I can get my hands on a barbell again. WOOF!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

2 weeks til leg extensions machines again
    #quadzilla

2 weeks til leg extensions machines again
    #quadzilla

Haha true.

Was surprised how good a burn I could get out of the home set up but I'll be glad to just climb on a machine again

Monday/Tuesday 24-25/5/2021

30kg x 5 x 20

B1) Paused Push Ups (4s pause at the bottom)
    4 x 12
    1 x 15

Green x 5 x Max

C1) DB Rows 
    30kg x 4 x 18 e/s
    30kg x 21 e/s

C2) OH Tricep Extension 
    (Green band) 5 x Max

10 rounds: 15s on, 30s rest

Stopped doing wider hand position on the push ups for this session. It just puts more stress on the anterior delts and bringing it in is just taking the stress off. In hindsight, I think it might have been caused by not staying tight at the bottom and let my shoulders roll back a touch, and stretching the muscles a little more. Maybe that was what niggled it.

Most of that done before I went to the physio yesterday. 

This log is about to get very boring. It may never feature squats or deadlifts again.

This log is about to get very boring. It may never feature squats or deadlifts again.

Why? NEVER squat or deadlift again is it even living if you can't squat or deadlift . You'd wanna have a good bench press if your going to beat me in a competition so .
    You need a new challenge that's all . 500kg total across the 3 lifts seems fair for a man of your ability .

I've done 500kg in my last meet.

Physically, I may not be able to. There's just too much risk with my hip. There's a lot to be done to get me back to a point where I even feel like it's a good idea (though it may never be a good idea regardless of how I feel).
    Its not a decision I wanted to make but it might be the only decision to be made.

Sorry to hear that , hopefully you can get back to some sort of pain free lifting , 500 Is some total fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

Sorry to hear that lad, is single legged exercises might be an option. Read an article there about professional rugby players. Advocating the risk v reward with max squat and deadlift when compared to single leg exercises. But I am not an expert. My goal is to be able to train away into 80`s. A positive report in the link below says that you dont need to train to max to get results

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2095254621000077?fbclid=IwAR0qxISxxpHsQa0ncC8uCTEEwBrmxrWQ5Wz6tEcXU5N13xqXCIsbza2Q06I

Dan John might be worth a visit to his website. A good resource and his podcast address questions like you have.

Yeah there will be lots of light single leg exercises I can do. I'll need to do them. I just need to learn to embrace them.

Fundamentally, I have enough to contend with the hip as it is. I don't need to be making it worse that I'm in my 50s crippled.

Wednesday/Thursday 19-20/5/2021

A) Paused DB Floor Press (4s pause)
    30kgs x 4 x 11
    30kgs x 15

5 x Max

B2) Banded Shrugs
    5 x Max

C1) Banded Side Bends
    5 x Max

C2) Front Raises 
    5 x Max 

D1) External Rotation at 90 Degrees
    5 x Max e/s

D2) Banded Shoulder Extension
    5 x Max

Increased the pause on floor press to 4s and gauged what the sets should be off the first set with the usual AMRAP at the end.

Had a band anchored the a bed frame and around the dumbbell for side bends.  Bit of extra burn.

Dropped the push ups and brought in some shoulder work because #shoulderhelf.

• Advertisement

Friday/Saturday 28-29/5/2021

A1) Unilateral Lying Hamstring Curls
    5 x Max e/s

4 x 12
    1 x 16

5 x Max e/s

B2) Face Pulls
    5 x Max

C1) Banded Row
    5 x Max

C2) Tricep Pushdown
    5 x Max

D1) Reverse Lunge
    5 x 4/4

D2) Walking Side Lunge
    5 x 8/8

The Ds are what the physio gave me. Seemed low reps but I realised why. Such an imbalance between the two sides. Especially obvious on the walking side lunges.

Easing into it cos the hip was a bit sore after I ran through them with him the other day though that might have been the soreness from the soft tissue work that helped everything feel that bit looser.

Advertisement