Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drone - Strike!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Hard crowd to please in the Drones forum obviously.
    Should've tried the Film forum instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Saw that myself over the weekend, quite impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Well as responsible drone flyers we would never fly indoors or at the level of people we certainly would not fly under peoples legs!

I'm mad jealous. It really is excellent.

I had seen it before and assumed there must be some cgi involved or at least some cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,912 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm betting fake.
    Definitely some of it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Not fake as far as I know, this type of flying is common in the non DJI drone world, the type of drone is what is known as a "Cinewhoop", basically a FPV quad with prop guards carrying a GoPro or similar. There are no obstacle avoidance sensors or GPS RTH functions so it is just flying, and soldering as crashing and rebuilding are a definite part of the hobby, I have one and definitely don't have the skill to fly like that!

I definitely think that people trying to copy that kind of flying with the new DJI FPV will result in second had goggles going cheap on adverts!
    Cinewhoops are generally less agile, slower but tuned for smoother flying than freestyle or racing quads.

For a bit of fun check out some of the Tiny whoop type drones like the Emax Tinyhawk 2, you can get a complete ready to fly kit including goggles and transmitter for less than €200, before long you will be weaving in and out through the legs of the chairs in your kitchen and terrorising the cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

wow a lot smaller than I thought it would be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Small is good for getting started with FPV, the size means that a relatively small flying area can feel really challenging, less weight so they tend to bounce rather than break stuff or themselves when you screw up / have a learning opportunity! :-)

I have a 3 inch that is really robust and can handle impact that on my 5 or 7 inch would end up with me waiting for the postman with parts or at the very least trying to 3d print replacement bits (3d printing prop is not a good idea, entertaining to watch them unpredictably explode into spaghetti but probably not the best from a safety perspective).
    The initial outlay for the goggles and transmitter is the big one and then you can just get bind and fly quads as your addiction develops!
    So if you order one of the small ones like a Tinyhawk 2 or similar, I would also order a good few spare batteries, they are cheap enough for the 1S and 2S quads, depending on how you fly you will get about 3 minutes out of them but in fairness that is as much concentration as most people have when flying like that with no stabilisation etc. so taking a break to swap out the battery is a good thing from a concentration point of view.

Advertisement