Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

went out probably a bit underfuelled. suffered towards the end (had put in a good bit of climbing) but that was a glorious evening. really hazy.

Just in from 37k @ 31kph with 400 up. Beautiful evening and just about enough time before the light faded. The wind caught me by surprise on the way home. My wife had surgery yesterday so I'm on kids duty for the foreseeable and any cycles will be short and in the evening.

Having said that, long, lovely summer of cycling ahead of us all! Can't wait.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I just went out to howth did a loop and came home. Nothing fast or anything, but still my fastest loop, though I normally turn for the summit so rarely have I actuallyslly done the loop

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Was a bit stressed because I was getting held up late in work and I really wanted to get out since it was such a nice evening. Eventually got out for a shorter than planned spin 44k @30kmph and 220 up. Had one crack off a local(ish) KOM but could only come 5th a full 15 seconds off the title - its a relatively short segment of 920m @2.2%. I reckon if I was to have any real shot at the local KOM's I'll need to get the weight down (currently 95kg :()

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was the wind with you for it? was a 20km/h easterly; if it's an east to west haul, don't forget whoever grabbed it probably had a stronger tailwind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

was the wind with you for it? was a 20km/h easterly; if it's an east to west haul, don't forget whoever grabbed it probably had a stronger tailwind.

Nah to be fair it was a cross wind but its a fairly sheltered climb so not sure how much difference it would make. Ive only recently fitted a power meter to the bike and I set new 1, 2 and 5 min power PB's so still happy with the spin

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

50 odd @28kmh. Av speed was 33kmh at one point. Till I turned to come home - a sneaky wind I hadn't noticed.

A nice incident travelling on the N11 southbound. Came around the bend after Farrankelly Rd junction to see a motorway maintenance truck parked further up across the hard shoulder with the large arrow denoting that they were working in the verges. To be fair to the chap he obviously saw the Fly12 from good distance and immediately pulled right over out of my path. Saved me the dreadful dew moments of being forced out into what was a busy dual carriageway - while going uphill.

Gave him an immediate advance wave and got one back when I approached, to which I shouted a thanks. A small gesture from him but appreciated very much by me, especially as it's the first one of those vehicles that ever bothered to do anything except get in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

65km for me. 23kph. Was a glorious day. Found the easterly wind tough going but feel I'm getting better at keeping speed up into the wind. The average suffered hugely in the last 15km. Legs really struggled, not for a lack of fuelling,, more a lack of fitness for that length, I felt fine just the legs were not with me. 700m of up.

Almost cleaned out of it by an elderly lady leaving her driveway. Pulled out on top of me, wasn't so worried until I realised she still hasn't seen me and kept coming towards me... Very close shave but just managed to avoid, lucky it was amongst road works and nothing coming on other side of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

sunday morning rings around dublin city centre. nice bike lanes and very low car traffic. suggest doing it before lockdown ends. came from lucan along the grand canal which is paved.

amazing how much more bike friendly dublin city has become since the 90s

origianlly planned on doing bike sprints on phoenix park but had to abandon as felt like everycar in ireland was in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What a savage evening it was yesterday. Did 90k around and about, there and back. Some wind in it though, you certainly knew which way it was blowing!

• Advertisement

50 odd @28kmh. Av speed was 33kmh at one point. Till I turned to come home - a sneaky wind I hadn't noticed.

A nice incident travelling on the N11 southbound. Came around the bend after Farrankelly Rd junction to see a motorway maintenance truck parked further up across the hard shoulder with the large arrow denoting that they were working in the verges. To be fair to the chap he obviously saw the Fly12 from good distance and immediately pulled right over out of my path. Saved me the dreadful dew moments of being forced out into what was a busy dual carriageway - while going uphill.

Gave him an immediate advance wave and got one back when I approached, to which I shouted a thanks. A small gesture from him but appreciated very much by me, especially as it's the first one of those vehicles that ever bothered to do anything except get in the way.

Sneaky easterly. I was averaging 35kph on the way out and was sure I was ready for the Tour De France until I turned for home and got a right shock as the wind battered me the whole way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

An adventurous week or so...
    Around the Christmas I noticed my heartrate monitor was malfunctioning a bit. I'd be motoring along and next thing my hr would drop from 130-140 down to 70 or so. Obviously that was wrong as no matter how good I was going I'd be hard pushed to do 250w at 70bpm. So I got a new hrm and low and behold, I was still getting the same readings. This would only happen for a whole and if I put in a good dig it'd come back up to 150 or more and normal service resumed.

Anyway cut forward to a few weeks ago and I started having palpitations. Usual triggers for that sort of thing, caffeine, inhaler for asthma, fatigue. Put controls in place and they didn't go away. So I had an ecg that picked up a few harmless ectopic beats, an echocardiogram that showed all good and then a 24 hour holter monitor and was advised do a spin on the bike to see if it triggered anything.

Got a call back the following day straight away and told I needed a treadmill test asap and no strenuous exercise or stress until further notice. Barrage of questions asking about blackouts, family history of cardiac problems (father passed away with cardiac arrest), dizzy spells, blurred vision..on and on it went. Needless to say that was pretty fkng stressful.

So I had the test and when I got up to speed the ecg showed palpitations galore of which I was fairly unaware. My hrm wasn't malfunctioning, it wasn't counting all the erratic beats I was getting. Luckily they are harmless but a nuisance. So I'm on a course of tablets and if they don't work I'll be having a catheter ablation done and hopefully that'll be the end of that. I can continue cycling away and doing physical work.

Major lesson learned, I'm officially a middle aged man who needs to keep a bit of a closer eye on things. Could easily have been an awful lot worse. Everyone should have a little check up whenever they can. Look after yourselves

Edit- nearly forgot, had a grand spin on Tuesday, shorts and a light Jersey. Felt good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

sunday morning rings around dublin city centre. nice bike lanes and very low car traffic. suggest doing it before lockdown ends. came from lucan along the grand canal which is paved.

amazing how much more bike friendly dublin city has become since the 90s

origianlly planned on doing bike sprints on phoenix park but had to abandon as felt like everycar in ireland was in there.

"It was a lovely morning cycling around the city streets until I went to the park". Bizarro world! :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Howth again this morning. This time a different climb, Summit Via Grace O'Malley. Beat my best time, and figure I can knock another 30-45 seconds off it at some point.

Arrived home minutes after Fedex at attempted to deliver my swanky new coffee grinder though ( I have a problem, I'm amassing them)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Get a handle on that AF Daroxtar, it can develop quickly into something very serious indeed. You're lucky you've identified it early - well done for getting into the medical community for an opinion, so many people don't until it becomes a really big deal to the point where your life is compromised.

Be prepared for a lot of tinkering with the medication to get the blend right as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭secman

Daraxtor, hopefully the meds will do the job, i recently went through a 6 month period of cardio tests and am now on meds. It was fairly stressful awaiting results and more tests and the bombardment of the questions, all necessary though. Unfortunately i also suffer from back issues which tends to flare up badly every 6 months, and having only 3 weeks ago got clearance to up the intensity on the bike, it flared up again on Monday :(
    Downside to being on my meds is i can't take any NSAIDS for my back issue, which always helped it settle down in the past.
    Just as well you were using a HM monitor , best of luck with your meds, fingers crossed and all that.
    If I was only middle aged :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Pfft Atrial Fibrillation?
    I had a 100% blockage which led to a major heart attack five years ago (in mid-forties).
    Look at me now - if anything, it was the making of me.
    You get used to the meds although I reckon that the BP reducers (even though I already had a low BP) affect my pace. Or at least, it feels like a good excuse for a slow pace :D
    You'll be grand! Thank goodness your HRM warned you in time!

Had a lovely 50km spin in a breezy but warm Summer-like evening.
    First time out this year without a base layer or a jacket - just a jersey (one of my boards jerseys no less!).
    Traffic was desperate though. Not too many cars doing stupid overtakes, just the sheer volume of traffic - you'd be hard pushed to know that there's still a pandemic going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

Lovely evening for a spin. 45k with 830m up. First time doing Bohernabreena. Headwind for the last couple of km made it slightly less enjoyable.
    Also pretty sure I’ve snapped my rear derailleur cable. As I heard a snap and now cannot switch gears down. Have not investigated it yet. Thankfully I was about 2 minutes from home.
    https://strava.app.link/rNvKmhUzFfb

if your RD cable snaps, the RD will return immediately to the smallest cog (i've never been sure what people mean by changing up and changing down, because some people mix up the concept between front and rear RDs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

if your RD cable snaps, the RD will return immediately to the smallest cog (i've never been sure what people mean by changing up and changing down, because some people mix up the concept between front and rear RDs)

That is exactly what happened. Glad it wasn’t halfway up Bohernabreena!

also could be that the cable slipped in the cable clamp, which would be an easier fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Oh what a beautiful day for it, great to get out in shorts and short sleeves.
    78.5 km at 28.5 kph, into a fecker of a snakey headwind on the way home.
    Drimnagh, lucan,maynooth, across to Naas road and home.

https://strava.app.link/cR83ZwnEFfb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'm lucky enough, it's not A-Fib, just PVCs and the meds aren't Beta blockers so while they do slightly reduce heartrate, they also slightly increase oxygen uptake so it balances out .
    Did a spin this evening, 45km @ 33.5kmh. Not quite as warm as it looked but still a nice evening.

well, you're fit at least!

Myself and the eldest saw a dolphin on our spin earlier. Yup, a dolphin in the river Boyne. Riding along and was tempted to turn off as there was a bit of a gathering and was worried someone might be in the river and certainly didn't want the child to see that so asked a lady jogging what was going on.

Maybe Fungie was just out doing local laps for the last year and decided to stop in Drogheda?

On a serious note hopefully the relevant people are monitoring it, I'd hate to think it was in trouble or anything.

was it on a tidal section?

was it on a tidal section?

For sure and very much in the middle of town, just at the park there. Less than 5km from the coast.

EDIT: Seems to have been reported https://iwdg.ie/browsers/showdetails.php?t=si&id=37279

They think it's a bottlenose. Sure looked like it from what we saw of it.

Headed down to the edge of the Blessington Lakes today - first time this year. Lovely weather and as usual, lovely scenery.
    Had a route plotted through my garmin which involved 668m of climbing. Somehow, actually following the 77km course, I only managed 529m so I'm left feeling a little short changed.
    At one point as I was climbing Boherboy/Lamb Hill, I pulled aside to let a truck pass. This killed my pace and I had to pull in further uphill, just outside the entrance to the quarry. A driver in an Audi estate pulling out and going my way offered to let me hang on to his mirror but I kindly declined.
    Overall an easy pace of 26.9km/h but still managed to knock out a few PBs so happy with that.
    A nice way to spend my afternoon whilst working from home! :D
    https://www.strava.com/activities/5177964373

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

104km today. Flat!

Then took a tumble over a cycle lane bollard at a very slow speed. New rear mech hanger needed tomorrow but all in all, a good day!

Advertisement