Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning Costs.. Help?

Options
  • 22-04-2021 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭

Could anyone shed a little light on this for me.

How much does a planning application cost from start to permission being granted? Self build on a site bought subject to planning. Architect doing drawings and application. Modest size house in rural area, approx 2000sqft mid range spec.

I’m hearing some people saying 10k but a financial advisor in the locality told me 2k, if even that. Anyone help please??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Architect doing drawings and application.

Have you appointed an architect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Have you appointed an architect?

Not yet. I am actually calling one tomorrow. We are considering tabling an offer on a site. Im new to the process so go easy on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Prices can and do vary around the country so a lot will depend on your location. Regardless of where you are 10k is excessive but if you get it close to 2k then you're on a winner :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just for planning, €10k is expensive but €2k sounds cheap unless it’s €2k plus costs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gumbo wrote: »
    Just for planning, €10k is expensive but €2k sounds cheap unless it’s €2k plus costs.

Also very much depends on the design.

If the house design is to be custom/unique/one-off, and the house design is to be tailored to meet your specific requirements, expect to pay E10K(+).

If the house design is to be 'here's one I did earlier', and simply a plonk (the pre done design) on to your site, expect to pay E2K.

That's why you may get varying costs.

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Also very much depends on the design.

If the house design is to be custom/unique/one-off, and the house design is to be tailored to meet your specific requirements, expect to pay E10K(+).

If the house design is to be 'here's one I did earlier', and simply a plonk (the pre done design) on to your site, expect to pay E2K.

That's why you may get varying costs.

The house design would be simple enough. We know what we want but I'm thinking a fairly straight forward build so we won't be looking in the region of 10k for planning then. I assume between 2-5k is a reasonable estimate based on your post and those above.

In regards to plans then, is it the done thing to search for plans of other houses that I like and simply ask our architect to base ours off them?

Also, when buying subject to planning am I correct in saying I pay the deposit on the site then start the planning process immediately? I assume I will have to erect the site sign & enter in the notice to the newspaper and not the architect? Sorry if that's a ridiculous question. I think I know the answer but just making sure.

Again, any help is really appreciated. So many questions about this process.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

The house design would be simple enough. We know what we want but I'm thinking a fairly straight forward build so we won't be looking in the region of 10k for planning then. I assume between 2-5k is a reasonable estimate based on your post and those above.

In regards to plans then, is it the done thing to search for plans of other houses that I like and simply ask our architect to base ours off them?

Also, when buying subject to planning am I correct in saying I pay the deposit on the site then start the planning process immediately? I assume I will have to erect the site sign & enter in the notice to the newspaper and not the architect? Sorry if that's a ridiculous question. I think I know the answer but just making sure.

Again, any help is really appreciated. So many questions about this process.

Yes, if you had some other houses that you liked it would be a good starting point. Off the web or just by driving around. Architect would use these as a starting point but the orientation of the site will determine best layout.
    Regarding the notices the architect should erect site notice and put the notice in the newspaper.
    Regarding the site, i think you have it right, pay the deposit now and the remainder when you are approved planning id imagine.
    Anything else let me know.

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Yes, if you had some other houses that you liked it would be a good starting point. Off the web or just by driving around. Architect would use these as a starting point but the orientation of the site will determine best layout.
    Regarding the notices the architect should erect site notice and put the notice in the newspaper.
    Regarding the site, i think you have it right, pay the deposit now and the remainder when you are approved planning id imagine.
    Anything else let me know.

Great stuff, will look around so.

As I’ve said I’m thinking of tabling a bid on a site but I’m unsure of the following (May be a stupid question): if I secure the site, pay the deposit, and then a local architect says we won’t get planning after seeing the site, do I have to go through with the application anyway in order to get the deposit back? Should an architect see the site before I even bid on it if that’s the case?

Also, I just called my first architect and he quoted 12-13k for planning process up to construction. What does up to construction even mean? I asked about a 4 bedroom house, open plan living area, straight forward build, mid spec. Maybe I misheard him and he said 12-13 hundred!

I’m failing to see how experienced people on here are telling me 2-5k for planning and the first person I call tells me 12-13k!

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As I’ve said I’m thinking of tabling a bid on a site but I’m unsure of the following (May be a stupid question): if I secure the site, pay the deposit, and then a local architect says we won’t get planning after seeing the site, do I have to go through with the application anyway in order to get the deposit back? Should an architect see the site before I even bid on it if that’s the case?
    Depends on what way the agreement is worded. Id suggest you get a local "planning agent" out to the site before bidding at all. He/she would give you a good idea as to your chances of getting permission.

Also, I just called my first architect and he quoted 12-13k for planning process up to construction. What does up to construction even mean? I asked about a 4 bedroom house, open plan living area, straight forward build, mid spec. Maybe I misheard him and he said 12-13 hundred!
    Up to construction stage with most designers would mean all planning and construction drawings provided together with tender package. When you start to build you will need him or someone else to sign off on everything and that will incur an additional fee. But you should call again and request a breakdown of his estimate to show what services he proposes to provide for that exorbitant fee.

I’m failing to see how experienced people on here are telling me 2-5k for planning and the first person I call tells me 12-13k!
    Im assuming you're located somewhere in or near the East coast. Fees have always been higher there in comparison to other parts of the country.

Ask around for other recommendations or even log into the Councils website and look up planning applications in that general area and see who the architects/agents were for those. That gives you an idea as to who's popular in that region.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,983 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

RIAI suggest fee scales of approx 9% for a new domestic hose build.

divide that by 3 for standard 'planning / tender / on site' stages.

so €13k for planning stage would assume 'all in' professional fees of about €39K... and at 9% that would assume a build budget of about €450k

did you tell the designer your build budget is €450k and request a full service quote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Not an expert on this but we've recently submitted for planning and here's my 2 cents - before bidding on the site, you need to have a reasonable idea that you'd get planning which is down to three things:

- local need, will you satisfy this requirement? If not, it seems unwise to bid on the site
    - access, if the site opens onto a quiet road with good sight lines, you'll have a better chance of getting planning
    - drainage - if the site isn't well drained, you may find it difficult to get planning for a septic tank (assuming you're not on mains)

As regards costs, ours were broken down into three phases which were generally evenly priced:

1. Design & planning
    2. Detailed drawings & tender documents
    3. Construction management

For us, some architects quoted based on a %, some on a fixed fee. For the fixed fee, it ranged from 5 - 13k (plus VAT, don't forget this!!) per phase.

Advertisement