Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laptop for Art/Animation Software

• 22-04-2021 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

I’ve survived this long in my life without ever having owned a laptop!

But now need to invest in one for a teenager who is interested in Computer Art/Animation Software.

Tried to educate myself but very out of touch so any assistance is appreciated.

Budget: 1000 euros

Intended use: Secondary School Work, general use, watching Animation, maybe some gaming if specs allow.
    Most use will be using Art/Animation Software

Mobility: For Home use only

Warranty: Preferable Yes

What Operating System do you use?
    Windows 10

Like to have option to upgrade RAM and SSD if required.
    Minimum 15.6 inch screen.

Plan is to use at first for free Art software and if interest continues we will purchase software so need to future proof the machine to run below specs.

Toon Boon harmony (recommended to run on Intel Core I7, memory 16gb, 1920x1080 resolution , geforce GTX1060)

Blender (recommended to run on 64 bit quad core CPU, memory 16gb, Full HD Display

Adobe Animate (recommended to run on Intel Pentium 4 or Intel Centrino, Intel Xeon, or Intel Core Duo (or compatible) processor (2GHz or faster processor) , memory 8gb, 1280x1024, gpu Open GL)

Might need a gaming laptop possibly or a decent graphics card to run above?

Thanks

Comments

going to use a stylus for art?

will that be a separate drawing tablet or planning to use the laptop screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Hallaz

glasso wrote: »
    going to use a stylus for art?

will that be a separate drawing tablet or planning to use the laptop screen?

good question!
    We have a graphic drawing tablet so hadn't considered touch screen.

If laptop was touch screen great but wouldn't want it to use up the budget and have less processor etc.

sounds like a discrete graphics card is better for some of the software which means a gaming laptop

the only problem with that is that the screens on gaming laptops are not colour-accurate which is important for art-work

the one on this laptop is good enough though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Legion-Gaming-GeForce-Windows/dp/B08BLK6TQM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=legion+144hz&qid=1619109293&sr=8-3

buy 8gb ram of same spec and click it in to bring to 16gb - simple job needed just a screwdriver

the i5 will be good enough for the purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

A decent 15 inch laptop with 8gb ram and SSD can set you back around 700 euro. This can do the job for software like Adobe Animate / Illustrator / PhotoShop. Those programs do not require a monster type of machine.

Using Blender on the other hand will require A LOT more specs. Biggest being RAM. The more the better! I briefly messed around with Blender and it's fine modelling on it with an 8gb machine. But when it comes to rendering.... so slow and mine crashed twice.

• Advertisement

Hallaz wrote: »

Toon Boon harmony (recommended to run on Intel Core I7, memory 16gb, 1920x1080 resolution , geforce GTX1060)
    A decent 15 inch laptop with 8gb ram and SSD can set you back around 700 euro. This can do the job for software like Adobe Animate / Illustrator / PhotoShop. Those programs do not require a monster type of machine.

Using Blender on the other hand will require A LOT more specs. Biggest being RAM. The more the better! I briefly messed around with Blender and it's fine modelling on it with an 8gb machine. But when it comes to rendering.... so slow and mine crashed twice.

the "Toon Boon harmony" software mentioned above has fairly heavy requirements on the gpu side

glasso wrote: »
    the "Toon Boom harmony" software mentioned above has fairly heavy requirements on the gpu side

True.
    Op, if blender and toon boom harmony are a must then I really recommend in investing in at least 16gb ram and a good gpu as glasso said.

Now this is only my opinion, but after buying cheap laptops before I firmly believe it's better to go over powered than under / just on the line. Seeing as how this is for your teenager this could be the start of his/her career. So this could be a good investment in their future.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

For toon boom and 1k to spare?, perhaps Finance with monthly repayment and 1k as initial deposit.

markmoto wrote: »
    For toon boom and 1k to spare?, perhaps Finance with monthly repayment and 1k as initial deposit.

pirate-bay-laptop.jpg

? :pac:

Advertisement