Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New wheels 101

• 20-04-2021 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭

This is gonna be my next step.

Gonna get some fancy carbon wheels.

I've a standard rim braked road bike (cube attain) with 11 speed 105.

Help a man out.
    What's step 1?
    (Bar starting starting to tell the missus how essential a "spare" set of wheels are for eh safety?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Jimbo789

This is gonna be my next step.

Gonna get some fancy carbon wheels.

I've a standard rim braked road bike (cube attain) with 11 speed 105.

Help a man out.
    What's step 1?
    (Bar starting starting to tell the missus how essential a "spare" set of wheels are for eh safety?)

What’s your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Calling Unknown Solider to the thread, think he has one set of exalith wheels left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Jimbo789 wrote: »
    What’s your budget?

No idea. I've done no research.
    Whatever upper limit I put that will turn into my aim.

I'm only a reasonable cyclist.
    So no mad 2 grand wheels

Whats on it at the minute Cube RA wheels?

Came with mavic aksuims

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭fat bloke

http://www.adverts.ie/23564653

Buy these.
    Job done.

Good price, great wheels, will slot straight on to your existing bike and pads, aero whomp whomp, sturdy and reliable. You could dither for months and not find anything else as suitable, just buy them.

dahat wrote: »
    Calling Unknown Solider to the thread, think he has one set of exalith wheels left.

I'm led to believe his Cosmic voyage has been terminated.:pac:

fat bloke wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/23564653

Buy these.
    Job done.

Good price, great wheels, will slot straight on to your existing bike and pads, aero whomp whomp, sturdy and reliable. You could dither for months and not find anything else as suitable, just buy them.

I dithered. They're gone.
    Oops

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Oops

If it's any consolation I was also dithering over the same set and I've missed the boat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

lissard from here got himself a nice pair of rims by the looks of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Sorry about that - couldn't resist - I was looking for wheels for racing and those seemed to fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭secman

I picked up a set of Zipp 302's on Mantel for €1,200 in the last month, much cheaper than their replacement 303's and at my level I wouldn't notice the benefits nor couldn't justify the extra cost of the 303s . The 302's get good reviews as a good all rounder carbon wheel, for the flat and stiff for climbing.

Anyone any experience or thoughts on these?

https://www.adverts.ie/bike-wheels/fulcrum-racing-zero-nite-c17-clincher-wheelset/23549670

Edit - apologies for hi-jacking the thread

https://www.adverts.ie/bike-wheels/fulcrum-racing-zero-nite-c17-clincher-wheelset/23549670

Top of the tree for non carbon wheels really. I've a pair but I've yet to use them.
    Ordinarily 800 quid would be dear for a second hand pair but in the current market there's no stock of anything so I think it's fair enough in that context.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Just clicked the link there....

He's accepting 750?

I just ordered a new ultegra cassette and cheapest I could do was 97 delivered....

So if its a relatively new ultegra cassette you could probably tell yourself you're paying 700 for the wheels?? Which is ok?

They are a cracking wheelset, a buddy has a set and he loves them, extremely light and very good braking on them. A good price too especially with cassette, which have gone very pricey lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

I have a set of the same model Fulcrum Racing Zero Nites on a bike that’s not been used. They have max 200km on them, and would pass for new I’d sell them for €750 with a new ultegra or Campagnolo chorus cassette if interested.

letape wrote: »
    I have a set of the same model Fulcrum Racing Zero Nites on a bike that’s not been used. They have max 200km on them, and would pass for new I’d sell them for €750 with a new ultegra or Campagnolo chorus cassette if interested.

Brilliant - I'll take them like a shot (depending where you are based)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Brilliant - I'll take them like a shot (depending where you are based)

I’ll send you a pm to see what we can arrange. Cheers

Anyone looking for a top notch alu wheelset will find it hard to better those Fulcrums alluded to in the Jethro's adverts link, don't think they will hang around long. Would've been interested only that I recently purchased a new wheelset.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hunt Aeros are lighter and cheaper brand new, not sure if that still the case with Brexit but they were.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Hunt Aeros are lighter and cheaper brand new, not sure if that still the case with Brexit but they were.

That's what my brother has recommended.
    Had heart set on carbon but that may have been purely for aesthetics

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Jimbo789

The Winspace Hyper wheels get good reviews. I ordered a pair for the 50mm rim brake ones this week.

You can get 10% discount codes for them too.

secman wrote: »
    Anyone looking for a top notch alu wheelset will find it hard to better those Fulcrums alluded to in the Jethro's adverts link, don't think they will hang around long. Would've been interested only that I recently purchased a new wheelset.

Well, I bought the ones from letape on this forum (thanks letape). Put them on yesterday and went out for a spin today. Couldn't be happier. I've been waving my average speed in front of my completely disinterested wife ever since I got home. Admittedly I had a pretty decent tailwind at points, but I'm still putting it down to the wheels.

And they look savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

And they look savage.

This is the most important part of any wheel purchase.

That's what my brother has recommended.
    Had heart set on carbon but that may have been purely for aesthetics

They do carbon as well. I also have a nice set of Rose 5050 wheels, they are rebranded Newman's at a guess so could probably be gotten cheaper than the 1500 retail

dahat wrote: »
    This is the most important part of any wheel purchase.

And the freewheel must be loud.

I have a couple of sets of Hyper wheels in stock. Let me know if I can help with anything

I don't know anything about them. Care to lay out your stall? Tell us what the craic is - specs and prices etc?

@OP. I'd always wondered about Prime wheelsets, liked the pricing and the specs and like the idea of a major brand like Wiggle/CRC putting their name on a wheelset and selling them themselves. It's in their interest to make a good product and then stand over it. I'd never actually seen a pair in real life though.
    I recently got a chance to examine (thought not ride) a pair of Prime black edition 28's (https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/prime-blackedition-28-carbon-wheelset/rp-prod166634_) and I was really impressed with the look and the finish, lightness and build quality. Great, great looking hoops. If the deeper ones are as nicely put together then they'd definitely be up toward the top of my list for the next time I go wheel shopping. The owner had nothing but good to say about them and according to him it there was neither blood spilt, sweat bucketed, nor tears shed in the mounting of tyres either :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Oops

You didn't really miss out anything there imo they're basically a standard rim with a carbon fairing nothing fancy :D

Unless you really want carbon rims I'd be taking those racing zero or looking at a set of the mavic exalith wheels. I picked up a set of shamal mille wheels recently and they're very nice indeed.

I've done the whole deep carbon craic and it's overrated imo. :p

Advertisement