Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First car on a learner permit

• 22-04-2021 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I'm planning to buy a car (first car) on a learner permit. I don't have much driving experience but I'm halfway through my EDT lessons so it will take a while before I hopefully get the full license. I am thinking about going with boxymo or something to reduce to insurance.

Budget - 5-7K
    Usage - less than 5000 KM in a year

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you don’t mind something small:

Toyota Aygo/Citroen C1/Peugeot 107
    VW Up/Skoda Citigo/Seat Mii

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

3Win wrote: »
    I'm planning to buy a car (first car) on a learner permit. I don't have much driving experience but I'm halfway through my EDT lessons so it will take a while before I hopefully get the full license. I am thinking about going with boxymo or something to reduce to insurance.

Budget - 5-7K
    Usage - less than 5000 KM in a year

Any recommendations?

The real challenge is being actually able to drive it given you'd need an experienced licenced driver with you all the time. Coupled with that insurance will be horrendous.

It's frustrating and perhaps not the answer you want but if you had access to a car and could be put on as named driver for learning, experience etc it would make alot more sense until such time you get full licence.

You'll end up spending a fortune on a car that's devaluing every minute and pay enormous sums for insurance albeit I do accept you have to start sometime, I just feel delaying until full licence achieved makes more sense, good luck

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Micra was a great starter car for me

• Registered Users Posts: 22 3Win

Dempo1 wrote: »
    The real challenge is being actually able to drive it given you'd need an experienced licenced driver with you all the time. Coupled with that insurance will be horrendous.

It's frustrating and perhaps not the answer you want but if you had access to a car and could be put on as named driver for learning, experience etc it would make alot more sense until such time you get full licence.

You'll end up spending a fortune on a car that's devaluing every minute and pay enormous sums for insurance albeit I do accept you have to start sometime, I just feel delaying until full licence achieved makes more sense, good luck
    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I don't have access to any other cars so named driver is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 3Win

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you don’t mind something small:

Toyota Aygo/Citroen C1/Peugeot 107
    VW Up/Skoda Citigo/Seat Mii
    I don't see 5-6 years old cars in my budget so I need to go after a 10-year-old car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The first lot are out since 2005. The second lot since 2011. There must be some fairly new ones within budget :)

Edit. I see a 2014 Up with 18500km on it for €6500 for example.

Advertisement