Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Waterford served well by it's politicians at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i wouldnt say so, id say the main parties, ffg, would be far wealthier, or much closer to wealth, theyd certainly have much stronger connections to wealth than most other parties

In Ireland parties can't take donations above €2.5k. The UK don't have those types of restrictions, and in the UK Sinn Fein have recently accepted a gift of around €4m.

They've also raised somewhere between $15-20m in America - more than any other Irish party.

I think the UK donation was a real game changer, the others can't compete with that.

They are a huge machine, a medium sized business effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hardybuck wrote: »
    In Ireland parties can't take donations above €2.5k. The UK don't have those types of restrictions, and in the UK Sinn Fein have recently accepted a gift of around €4m.

They've also raised somewhere between $15-20m in America - more than any other Irish party.

I think the UK donation was a real game changer, the others can't compete with that.

They are a huge machine, a medium sized business effectively.

they dont have to take donations, both major parties clearly have strong connections to wealth, both nationally and internationally, they may not have has much wealth on their books as other parties, but they certainly have the connections, hence their position on that totem pole

they dont have to take donations, both major parties clearly have strong connections to wealth, both nationally and internationally, they may not have has much wealth on their books as other parties, but they certainly have the connections, hence their position on that totem pole

Being connected to wealth and actually having wealth are two very different things.

We're talking here about having wealth, and SF certainly have it. I'm sure the likes of Cullinane can use this to his advantage, while the likes of Shanahan as an independent won't benefit from having a corporate structure around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

i wouldnt say so, id say the main parties, ffg, would be far wealthier, or much closer to wealth, theyd certainly have much stronger connections to wealth than most other parties

eh no. Sinn Fein is a money making giant https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-f%C3%A9in-is-the-richest-political-party-in-ireland-1.4193124

theyre all money making giants, again, our traditional government parties, primarily ffg, clearly have strong connections to wealth, its extremely interesting to watch the whole davys situation developing, or lack of!

• Advertisement

theyre all money making giants, again, our traditional government parties, primarily ffg, clearly have strong connections to wealth, its extremely interesting to watch the whole davys situation developing, or lack of!

Everyone has connections to wealth. It doesnt mean anything. The only party that can leverage those connections are parties that operate outside the state and therefore, only SF can do serious fundraising by using the UK's free for all lobbying rules.

Everyone has connections to wealth. It doesnt mean anything. The only party that can leverage those connections are parties that operate outside the state and therefore, only SF can do serious fundraising by using the UK's free for all lobbying rules.

strongly disagree there, again the davys situation is once again showing the true levers of power and wealth, i wouldnt be overly worried about sf's antics, even with all their dodgyness

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m looking forward to seeing Mary butler sent packing next time

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

Is it just me, or is that not quite a worrying article to read?

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’m looking forward to seeing Mary butler sent packing next time

I look forward to voting out Cullinane. He wouldn't be at the intellectual level you need for a front bench minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I look forward to voting out Cullinane. He wouldn't be at the intellectual level you need for a front bench minister.

Cullinane is as sharp and astute as as of them in government ministers.

Who would you support? National Party? Gemma O' Doherty, Identity Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

What intellectual level did the current front bench ministers meet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hilarious posting from the sticks.

Look at the front benches of recent decades, how many barely coherent ill briefed knuckle heads have we put up with? Loads. Cullinane ain't perfect but he has shown himself to be up to speed on his brief.

What are your thoughts on your Councillors? Often they'll be more active on the ground in your communities.

id say he ll have no bother getting back in to be honest, very strong vote last time around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cullinane has two quotas it'll take being "caught in bed with a live boy or a dead girl" to change that.
    What are your thoughts on your Councillors? Often they'll be more active on the ground in your communities.

No idea who mine are, I've never thought to get in touch with one to be honest.
    If there was something that needed dealing with I'd get in touch with the council dept directly.

David Cullinane, Sinn Féin spokesperson on Health I may add

September 2020 "Dont close the pubs"
    https://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/58157

October 2020 "the government rejected the scientific advice"
    "It it’s unacceptable that we have a push back [to NPHETs advice] and it’s unacceptable that we have an answering back.’

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40060010.htmlhttps://extra.ie/2020/10/06/news/politics/leo-varadkar-hot-water-criticism-nphet

cullinane will likely bring in a 2nd sf td for waterford....assuming they select a high enough profile canditadate in west waterford (sioban whelean maybe?)

He always struck me as straight talking and deosnt get bogged down in trivial back-and-forth nonsense??

(Felt his apology for the up the ra comment was well taught out and owned it fairly honestly)

cullinane will likely bring in a 2nd sf td for waterford....assuming they select a high enough profile canditadate in west waterford (sioban whelean maybe?)

He always struck me as straight talking and deosnt get bogged down in trivial back-and-forth nonsense??

(Felt his apology for the up the ra comment was well taught out and owned it fairly honestly)

some fcuk up though, but he seems to have gotten away with it

Cullinane has two quotas it'll take being "caught in bed with a live boy or a dead girl" to change that.

No idea who mine are, I've never thought to get in touch with one to be honest.
    If there was something that needed dealing with I'd get in touch with the council dept directly.

Re Cullinane - yeah I'd say he has a job for life now. A slight aside, while I think he's the most experienced and of the Waterford TDs, I'm never fully sure whether he and his colleagues are more committed to 'the cause' or their constituencies. I suspect the former, but he'll never admit that obviously.

Re Councillors - I would take a decent bit of interest in who they are and how they're doing. They, with the Council, set the direction about where the town is going. They're also the people who get local issues sorted out quite often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

McGuinness would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    McGuinness would be my guess.

Think that is a certainty and the two of them will coast in in my opinion.

Be interesting to see the FG & FF tactics next election. Will Butler run again? Mulligan proved he isn't strong enough and has too much baggage so who's next - Adam Wyse or Eamonn Quinlan? Will FG only run Cummins or will Coffey make a comeback if Leo is miraculously axed by then? Geoghegan seems to be content with local politics so don't think we'll see him on a ticket again.

The pool is pretty shallow unfortunately.

Think that is a certainty and the two of them will coast in in my opinion.

Be interesting to see the FG & FF tactics next election. Will Butler run again? Mulligan proved he isn't strong enough and has too much baggage so who's next - Adam Wyse or Eamonn Quinlan? Will FG only run Cummins or will Coffey make a comeback if Leo is miraculously axed by then? Geoghegan seems to be content with local politics so don't think we'll see him on a ticket again.

The pool is pretty shallow unfortunately.

3-4 years is a long time in politics.

Re Cullinane - yeah I'd say he has a job for life now. A slight aside, while I think he's the most experienced and of the Waterford TDs, I'm never fully sure whether he and his colleagues are more committed to 'the cause' or their constituencies. I suspect the former, but he'll never admit that obviously.

Re Councillors - I would take a decent bit of interest in who they are and how they're doing. They, with the Council, set the direction about where the town is going. They're also the people who get local issues sorted out quite often.

If SF get into office they will go through the same wax and later wane phase of all parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

3-4 years is a long time in politics.

Sure is. Apparently Alan Kelly & Labour have identified Waterford as a strong chance for a seat come the next election so it'll be interesting to see what they come out with. You just never know what way the lay of the land will lie.

If SF get into office they will go through the same growth and later contraction phase of all parties.

I don't think it'll happen in the next ten years anyway. I think they know themselves they're better off in opposition. They only ever have 5-6 TDs out in the media, the rest are hidden away as they're liabilities who can't be trusted.

While I think Mary Lou sees herself as the first female Taoiseach, I personally think it'll be Helen McEntee.

If SF get into office they will go through the same wax and later wane phase of all parties.

Of course they will, but its looking likely they'll be in on the next one, possibly along side ff
    hardybuck wrote:
    I don't think it'll happen in the next ten years anyway. I think they know themselves they're better off in opposition. They only ever have 5-6 TDs out in the media, the rest are hidden away as they're liabilities who can't be trusted.

Oh I think it will, ffg are completely dropping the ball in regards younger generations, and are currently defaulting to the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

And I am sure you would do better from behind the couch? Would you rather some crusty auld fella who only got the seat cos his Daddy and Grand daddy had been warming it for him for generations?? Anytime Ive see Cullinane on TV he has more than held his own.
    You may be voting him out Bud but 10'000's of other will be returning him as one of our TD's next GE as more than likely he will be a Minister. SF are gonna romp home next time out after the FF-FG Covid fiasco. We have a frustrated, angry, depressed, unemployed youth population who will have to historic FF-FG allegiance. WTF would you want to return the current coalition?

And I am sure you would do better from behind the couch? Would you rather some crusty auld fella who only got the seat cos his Daddy and Grand daddy had been warming it for him for generations?? Anytime Ive see Cullinane on TV he has more than held his own.
    You may be voting him out Bud but 10'000's of other will be returning him as one of our TD's next GE as more than likely he will be a Minister. SF are gonna romp home next time out after the FF-FG Covid fiasco. We have a frustrated, angry, depressed, unemployed youth population who will have to historic FF-FG allegiance. WTF would you want to return the current coalition?

our housing situation will more than likely sink ffg

• Advertisement

If SF romp home in 3-4 years time I think it'll set them back 10-15 years and jeopardise their ultimate goal of unification.

When they step out from the shadows they need more distance between them and the past. They need some of people who were involved in the troubles and different types of skulduggery to move on and another generation to come along.

Right now they'd have enough competent candidates to be a junior coalition partner, as their squad depth is very thin. They've been forced to rely on a number of candidates with fairly dubious backgrounds, who've had recent run-ins with the guards over social order issues, anti-vaxxers - that sort of thing. You'll notice (or perhaps not) that they're not really out on the airwaves much.

I think we'll reflect on this period and thank our lucky stars we had an experienced team at the wheel during COVID. While there's always room for improvement, the approach taken here has kept more people alive than our neighbours in the North, the rest of the UK, France, USA et al.

Advertisement