Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reap Scheme

• 20-04-2021 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Is there no bird seed in the reap scheme. I'm in Glas and sow bird seed and was going to invest in a disk harrow but wont if there is no bird seed in the new scheme

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Young95

Tomjim wrote: »
    Is there no bird seed in the reap scheme. I'm in Glas and sow bird seed and was going to invest in a disk harrow but wont if there is no bird seed in the new scheme

No don’t think so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

It'll be nearly impossible to get into it anyway the way it's looking, An advisor can submit a max of ten applications. It's some joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

If you are in Glas you can’t enter anyway.

It'll be nearly impossible to get into it anyway the way it's looking, An advisor can submit a max of ten applications. It's some joke.

I presume it’s an advisor like Teagesc or etc that puts you forward for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

Was talking to my advisor. He is in bother. 40 farmers including myself have expressed interest in the scheme. Whats he supposed to do? Pick his 10 favourites? Pick the 10 that is goin to make the most money? He doesn't know what to do and this man has been in the business over 30 years.
    I would love to get into the scheme the hedgerow planting is something I have always wanted to do. I love to see fields divided with hedges and not fences. The infilling of hedges I have been already doing the last couple of years.

• Advertisement

If you don’t get in do you have to pay the advisor aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Is that 10 applications for the pilot or 10 applications over the lifetime of the scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Charolois 19

Was talking to my teagesc advisor a week or two ago, he said 2200 or so applications, if the 10 per advisor was the way it was going to go for the pilot would that be balanced out over the country just be as a base to build on going forward to flesh out the ins and outs of it? As an even base level for each part of the country and farm sizes im trying to say.

It’s going to be ****ing pointless. I can almost guess.

Closing date for applications is almost upon us yet the scheme is not ****ing open.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This is a limited scheme to trial a scheme for 2023. From what I can see the advisors will grade you for what payment you recieve for low input pasture and the multi species leys.

Money from hedges and trees will be limited. There is no mention about bird, bat or bee boxes.

Because it's a limited trial there is always going to be limited numbers. I think advisors will cost more than previous schemes as they may have to rate you every year. However it will put them between a rock and a hard place as while the farmer may pay them the department will expect them to mark those same farmers

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭148multi

I believe its only for a two year duration

148multi wrote: »
    I believe its only for a two year duration

Ya it's two years duration

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Tileman

Well feck it. I always enjoyed the bird cover. The field always looked lovely in colour in summertime and it was well paid. I also bought a disc Harrow this year for the very job, it might be short lived.

Tileman wrote: »
    Well feck it. I always enjoyed the bird cover. The field always looked lovely in colour in summertime and it was well paid. I also bought a disc Harrow this year for the very job, it might be short lived.

This is a trial scheme. Just looking at it I think they are concentrating on the 10HA grazing LIP and MSLG. They are obviously going to target these two in the next scheme.they must have been unhappy with them in last scheme.

They are the basis for any decent payment. 10HA giving 3.5k in last scheme. Now they are going to grade them 1-10 and you will only be paid from 4-10 depending on performance of these features.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭k mac

This is a limited scheme to trial a scheme for 2023. From what I can see the advisors will grade you for what payment you recieve for low input pasture and the multi species leys.

Money from hedges and trees will be limited. There is no mention about bird, bat or bee boxes.

Because it's a limited trial there is always going to be limited numbers. I think advisors will cost more than previous schemes as they may have to rate you every year. However it will put them between a rock and a hard place as while the farmer may pay them the department will expect them to mark those same farmers

Will those finished in Glas this year after the 1 year extension have no scheme so next year if the new scheme will not be available till 2023, seems to be a big financial hit for people to take

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Is it set that 10Ha is the smallest farm viable ??

Allot of small holdings will be exempted which is a pity.

k mac wrote: »
    Will those finished in Glas this year after the 1 year extension have no scheme so next year if the new scheme will not be available till 2023, seems to be a big financial hit for people to take

There was an extension for those in GLAS who were exiting at the end of 2020 I expect similar next year

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

We were never in GLAS or any of these schemes but what is defined as low input grassland (LIG)?

We were never in GLAS or any of these schemes but what is defined as low input grassland (LIG)?

https://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2017/have-you-delivered-on-low-input-permanent-pasture-or-traditional-hay-meadow-options-for-your-glas-plan.php

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Saw a presentation on REAP yesterday at a farm meeting. Looks to be more complex than it's worth, even if you were to be accepted in.

There's also a big gap between what was promised in the 'Programme for Government' and the details being drip-fed out now. I think something like €40m was mentioned on the call yesterday, as in the scheme now has €40m less to fund it than was promised in the PfG.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

893bet wrote: »

Thanks.

That looks very restrictive and probably would only work of a low stocking rate. Think I'll skip on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

_Brian wrote: »
    Is it set that 10Ha is the smallest farm viable ??

Allot of small holdings will be exempted which is a pity.
    Either way, payments are subject to an upper limit of 10ha

From here
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/reap-what-will-farmers-have-to-do-to-get-paid/

Thanks.

That looks very restrictive and probably would only work of a low stocking rate. Think I'll skip on this one.

In GLAS the scheme for low input permanent pasture and traditional hay meadows have not been a success I say. A lot of farmers with on good land entered these schemes but have shook a bit of extra N on them.

In any new environment scheme I expect they will be graded and you will only get paid if the they start to look like traditional pasture

Slava Ukrainii

In GLAS the scheme for low input permanent pasture and traditional hay meadows have not been a success I say. A lot of farmers with on good land entered these schemes but have shook a bit of extra N on them.

In any new environment scheme I expect they will be graded and you will only get paid if the they start to look like traditional pasture
    What is a traditional pasture suppose to look like ? A field of stemmy grass ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

It can come down to the levels of inspections. Farmers will generally conform to the rules of schemes for the first year or two but if they don’t hear of much inspections then they drop the standard a little!!!

Wild bird cover is a classic example. It got a great start the first couple of years but quickly dropped off. I saw a lad near me just left the WBC run on the same for two years and never sowed or tilled it at all (and it’s oats and linseed and not any 2 year crop).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Young95 wrote: »
    What is a traditional pasture suppose to look like ? A field of stemmy grass ?

A high herbal element would be diagnostic - TBH since the start of these schemes 20 years ago, they have been poorly designed and implemented by DAFM. Its also true to say the funding for REAP is very underwhelming and doesn't say much for all the "talk" by the GP in government on the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

This is a trial scheme. Just looking at it I think they are concentrating on the 10HA grazing LIP and MSLG. They are obviously going to target these two in the next scheme.they must have been unhappy with them in last scheme.

They are the basis for any decent payment. 10HA giving 3.5k in last scheme. Now they are going to grade them 1-10 and you will only be paid from 4-10 depending on performance of these features.

This trial doesn't look that attractive, get 1200 base payment but probably give half that to an adviser, then there'll be a high chance of an inspection as the department will want to see for themselves how it's going and the numbers are limited.

Chances are there'll be very few graded 10 but all the spin will be based on what the scheme is worth if you grade 10. I expect the majority might grade 6-8 and possibly lower. They can't be seen to give a high proportion of 10s as it'd look like there's no need for the scheme or it's not doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Glas money in account today

• Advertisement

Talked to an advisor today.. the field margins are my biggest issue with it as we have mostly sheep and to try keep them out of it all year round with an electric fence and wire would drive you into a mental asylum

Advertisement