Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf Ireland App now live

• 20-04-2021 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭

just downloaded it myself. Will be interesting to see how it works week to week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

I see you can record a score on it. Is that for handicap purposes and how would it be verified? Could see some very shady goings on otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

slingerz wrote: »
    I see you can record a score on it. Is that for handicap purposes and how would it be verified? Could see some very shady goings on otherwise

They've a short set of clips in a playlist on YouTube which is pretty concise and clear

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9PeXb-oZMylqB-utOrGOi4eLVkY_dJM1

In a nutshell, you have to declare the round ahead of time on the app.

You name a marker too.

When done you submit the score and add digital signature in the app

after you submit the score the marker gets a notification, and they have to approve the score, before its accepted.

So, yeah, in theory open to a bit of abuse, if you've mates willing to join in the scheme, but I guess that's no different to any comp really.

Also, theres a time limit between declaring the round and inputting scores

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

That definitely seems a bit dodgy. With a competition at least bandits had to pay to enter , I presume there’s no charge for these rounds

Now I would say for people who treat it correctly it may be a good option. For someone who might work unusual hours and can’t make regular competitions but would like to keep handicap accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

That's a really good app. Fair play to them ðŸ‘

Looking forward to getting back out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭padmcv

It looks good from what I can see. I'm hoping the scoring side of it works as well as it promises. Personally, I will be thrilled if I don't have to enter competitions to keep a handicap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

I think the bandit issue is exaggerated anyway, I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

benji79 wrote: »
    That definitely seems a bit dodgy. With a competition at least bandits had to pay to enter , I presume there’s no charge for these rounds
    You also have to play enough rounds to wipe all the good ones off your record. And then use your painstakingly created artificial handicap to try and win a competition. And then rinse and repeat to take that good score off your record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You also have to play enough rounds to wipe all the good ones off your record. And then use your painstakingly created artificial handicap to try and win a competition. And then rinse and repeat to take that good score off your record.

And as a handicap committee member I will have a very close eye on anyone who even hits the soft cap

gypsy79 wrote: »
    And as a handicap committee member I will have a very close eye on anyone who even hits the soft cap
    Absolutely. As with members putting in a succession of scores from casual rounds. All somehow coincidentally being bad ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Can you just decide your going to play a round at any stage and set it up? Once you have someone to play with etc. Must you inform the club in any way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

In our place you need to sign a book to declare the round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I see there is plenty people calling for the entry of casual rounds to be charged for by the club, which I think is ridiculous.
    Cheaters will cheat regardless of what the system is.

Personally, i will go play my golf and not worry about them as i always have, go out and try to beat my best score and if i win a prize then great.

The app looks great and i like the way you can add friends too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

OEP wrote: »
    I think the bandit issue is exaggerated anyway, I like it.

The pierce Purcell competitions of the last few years would say otherwise unfortunately.
    They're everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Can you just decide your going to play a round at any stage and set it up? Once you have someone to play with etc. Must you inform the club in any way?[/QUOTE

Casual rounds must be pre registered. This is open to interpretation--does that mean clubs(handicap sec or comp Sec) must be informed first or is logging on to the app before play sufficient.

I presume clubs can and will put in place protocols around how this is achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

The pierce Purcell competitions of the last few years would say otherwise unfortunately.
    They're everywhere.

I have 1 year experience of playing pierce purcell. I am a 12 handicapper WHS
    We lost our second round match even though I was +3 gross on the day, played the round of my life. The lad I played against on the day was unreal, I had him at +2 for the day. I think both of us are better than 11+ handicaps but fully accept that we are both 11+ handicaps if that makes sense. I think the nature of the comp and the focus it gives you, drives you to be alot better than you would be in
    your standard sunday morning comp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

willabur wrote: »
    +3 gross on the day

A 45pointer and losing your match :rolleyes:... and that's before WHS which is going to make it much easier to avoid playing off correct handicaps.

All interclub comps should be just played off scratch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

RoadRunner wrote: »
    A 45pointer and losing your match :rolleyes:... and that's before WHS which is going to make it much easier to avoid playing off correct handicaps.

All interclub comps should be just played off scratch!

I guess its just an illustration of how someone with a genuine handicap can far outstrip their handicap.
    Last year I played more golf than any other year, probably 3 or 4 times a week when we were allowed to play. My game got super sharp around the greens especially. Problem is that I wasn't playing any rounds that contributed to my handicap so it stayed the same while I got better at the game.

So I fully understand why PP produces rounds that look like banditry, I just don't think its banditry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Can you just decide your going to play a round at any stage and set it up? Once you have someone to play with etc. Must you inform the club in any way?

Assume that there has to a minimum number of registered casual rounds on that day in order to qualitfy for handicap calculation purposes, as there needs to be th PCC calculation for the tees for that day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

willabur wrote: »
    I guess its just an illustration of how someone with a genuine handicap can far outstrip their handicap.
    Last year I played more golf than any other year, probably 3 or 4 times a week when we were allowed to play. My game got super sharp around the greens especially. Problem is that I wasn't playing any rounds that contributed to my handicap so it stayed the same while I got better at the game.

So I fully understand why PP produces rounds that look like banditry, I just don't think its banditry

Its a very good point you raise. When playing & practicing for interclub you can find your weekly comp can go by the wayside, such is the demand on interclub practicing and playing. In turn handicaps remain static for a number of weeks / months. Some guys are lucky and can practice and play unlimited golf but family blokes and ladies can not do both sometimes and their handicaps remain static.
    Interclub practice, as mentioned, can be intense and bring out better concentration and results and overall improve a golfers ability's. Some folks thrive under the pressure of interclub foursomes and play to a level that does not match their handicap on the day. Plus, traditionally it was last years lowest handicaps that counts for qualification into the following years interclub teams. Many improve over winter and head into the new year far better than last years qualifying handicaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

Some clubs facilitate this kind of carryon when it comes to interclub. A local club to me had a 14h/c playing bruen last year and this wasn’t because they were short of numbers.

• Advertisement

Assume that there has to a minimum number of registered casual rounds on that day in order to qualitfy for handicap calculation purposes, as there needs to be th PCC calculation for the tees for that day

I don't think this is correct. If no PCC available they will just use the course rating etc is what i thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

gypsy79 wrote: »
    In our place you need to sign a book to declare the round

What if you are playing away from home?

etxp wrote: »
    I don't think this is correct. If no PCC available they will just use the course rating etc is what i thought?

No space is correct. It clearly says that there must be 8 (I think) rounds posted for the day in order for casual rounds to qualify.

Seve OB wrote: »
    No space is correct. It clearly says that there must be 8 (I think) rounds posted for the day in order for casual rounds to qualify.

Ah right, not much chance of getting 8 in my club anyway. barely 30 for a Sunday comp every week. Although last year did see a rise in comp entry.

What if you are playing away from home?
    You can't record casual rounds anywhere except at your home club(s) afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭the long lad

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You can't record casual rounds anywhere except at your home club(s) afaik.

No, that's not correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭paulos53

I would have had the same interpretation as etxp. i.e. PCC will be set to zero if less than 8 people play and it would still count for handicap purposes.

Is there a difference in numbers required for general play vs competitions? Our club usually has a comp ever year for the 6 medal winners and it always counted as qualifying under the old system

paulos53 wrote: »
    I would have had the same interpretation as etxp. i.e. PCC will be set to zero if less than 8 people play and it would still count for handicap purposes.

Is there a difference in numbers required for general play vs competitions? Our club usually has a comp ever year for the 6 medal winners and it always counted as qualifying under the old system

Ah I may have misinterpreted.

With the medal comps you mention, would there also be another comp on same day to set the standard scratch of the day though? Have same in my own club, it’s a daily comp, but the medal winners play for the gold medal also

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭paulos53

We would have a daily comp running alongside the gold medal also. Most years they would be played off different tees and they would have had different standard scratch calculations

• Advertisement

No, that's not correct.

I’m would agree here. Sure wasn’t there a big deal made that you could play counting golf in other countries etc

Advertisement