Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona Virus and events

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

MayoSalmon wrote: »

Nothing new there, it was already known before covid, outside fitness is the best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Nothing new there, it was already known before covid, outside fitness is the best for you.

The point is the government who sold us the "two weeks to flatten the curve" have not once promoted things you can do to boost your immune system from Covid...in fact they have done the opposite, closed down all sports and actively told you to stay inside/home for 9 straight months...soon to be 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not to mention the attitude from certain quarters that you were "selfish" for "indulging" in outdoor exercise when you should have been staying inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

The point is the government who sold us the "two weeks to flatten the curve" have not once promoted things you can do to boost your immune system from Covid...in fact they have done the opposite, closed down all sports and actively told you to stay inside/home for 9 straight months...soon to be 10.

Glad I ignored that advise as one particularly wet & miserable w/end in April last year showed me that getting out for some sort of a run was important if I wanted to stay someway sane. I remember heading up a deserted Patrick St in Cork & passing someone else out for a run going the other way. Not a street that people would normally be running on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

The government couldn't really come out at tell people to go out and exercise, and get some sun to aid vit D production, (without sun block).
    People would have just went out then, which would have went against their message to stay at home. And some gob**** trying to sue them in a few years for skin cancer.

Ceepo wrote:
    and get some sun to aid vit D production, (without sun block).

FWIW your skin produces a lot of vitamin D even when wearing sunscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Stark wrote: »
    FWIW your skin produces a lot of vitamin D even when wearing sunscreen.

Ok

They said you could exercise outside on your own, never stopped that unlike some other countries.

We could train in groups from last May till Dec .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Getting loads of "memories" in the last couple of days from Facebook and my photo backup apps with various pictures of going for runs around London in years past around this time. A year ago I was figuring out the flattest route possible starting and finishing at my front door, without needing to do laps, and hopefully not getting abuse from the villagers who'd recently put up this sign on the cycle path into their village on my route, and had been on the local news complaining about cyclists spreading the rona through their village.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G487W4ANMYHBQz2y6

The sign is still there a year later. :(

Other than that village, the Derbyshire police force (who fined people for having a take away coffee on a walk) and the "study" on people catching covid from being on the opposite side of the road from a runner, there thankfully hasn't been any restrictions on solo activities in the UK throughout this. I remain hopeful that at least the likes of the 5mile I did last week and the marathon this weekend are going to continue to be permitted. Things will have to start improving in Ireland soon with the lifting of restrictions around activities.

I've only just got round to checking the weather forecast for this weekends marathon, and I'd normally have been looking at that for the last couple of weeks at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

They said you could exercise outside on your own, never stopped that unlike some other countries.

We could train in groups from last May till Dec .

Not that easy to run outside in the depths of winter if you live in rural Ireland. Little or no public lighting, no footpaths and sometimes dangerous narrow roads. The 5k exercise limit was very restrictive and to me totally illogical, especially given you’re highly unlikely to contract Covid outside.

The message rammed home was stay at home, there was little to no thought given to the mental or physical benefits of exercise.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I never stopped running through these lockdowns. I became more aware of where I was running & the times so adjusted accordingly. The 2k & 5k restrictions where pointless IMO.

On a more positive note a motion on Emergency Mental Health has been passed today, some good suggestions for the services, hopefully something comes of it as most of the services are pinned to the collar at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Not that easy to run outside in the depths of winter if you live in rural Ireland. Little or no public lighting, no footpaths and sometimes dangerous narrow roads. The 5k exercise limit was very restrictive and to me totally illogical, especially given you’re highly unlikely to contract Covid outside.

The message rammed home was stay at home, there was little to no thought given to the mental or physical benefits of exercise.

TbL

Always found the "Stay at home" message quite insensitive to the many people who are homeless, numbers which will continue to rise in the years to come due to the illogical decision to halt construction.

FG and FF are doing themselves long term damage with these destructive measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

The checkpoints are over now.
    McEntee said as much the other evening when quizzed about people from the NW heading to Enniskillen for a haircut.

Planning on a trip across country in the next few weeks, have been told if you get fined to avoid paying it as they don't have a leg to stand on if it goes to court.

Over 5,000 unpaid, not a hope these are going to court.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/almost-5-000-facing-court-prosecution-for-non-payment-of-covid-19-fines-1.4527367

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Always found the "Stay at home" message quite insensitive to the many people who are homeless, numbers which will continue to rise in the years to come due to the illogical decision to halt construction.

FG and FF are doing themselves long term damage with these destructive measures.

Blaming the housing crisis on the delay in construction is an easy excuse. Construction has being on going throughout this whole lockdown.

Since Jan, two complete housing estates near us, both for social housing were completed and these were big projects.

One of the main reasons for the homeless, is new estates don't want social housing in them, hence the increase in homeless!!.

Can't say prices are the issue, as they are still way lower than the early 00's.

TbL

So where would you train if no lockdown? 5k limit was not really enforced

So where would you train if no lockdown? 5k limit was not really enforced

I’d have driven to either a track or towards the city that did have footpaths and lights.

Your point is irrelevant, people were told to stay at home unless for essential reasons or exercise within 5k

The cyclists fined for exercising outside 5k might disagree with you

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bgiraffe

Not that easy to run outside in the depths of winter if you live in rural Ireland. Little or no public lighting, no footpaths and sometimes dangerous narrow roads.

Just a little side note on this as a rural resident. I'd been in exactly the situation you outlined for many years, with kids and work I can only really get out in the evenings. But for half the year there's only dangerous dark roads to train on. It's literally deadly dangerous. So I fell out of proper running for years.

The local GAA club opened a walking/running track last autumn. It's floodlit and open until 10pm. What a game changer. Been running three nights a week on it since it opened. Done a half marathon last weekend, signed in for Belfast marathon in September. Literally wouldn't have been possible for me without floodlit facilities.

https://www.thejournal.ie/libraries-and-sports-centres-across-dublin-to-open-for-public-toilets-under-council-plans-5416999-Apr2021/?utm_source=shortlink

Irishtown Stadium to open very soon, but don't get too excited, it's toilets only... Not the track!

Every day this country surprises me in unimaginable ways.

• Advertisement

I happened to run along the Prom in Salthill today. There were hundreds of people walking in groups, standing around in groups chatting with coffees, watching buskers, queuing for ice cream and the amount of people of on Ladies beach sunbathing almost on top of each other was incredible.

I’ve personally no problem with this but it just goes to show how ridiculous it is that we can’t have a controlled road race!

Absolute farce

TbL

https://www.thejournal.ie/libraries-and-sports-centres-across-dublin-to-open-for-public-toilets-under-council-plans-5416999-Apr2021/?utm_source=shortlink

Irishtown Stadium to open very soon, but don't get too excited, it's toilets only... Not the track!

Lack of public toilets is a broader human rights issue in fairness. Fine for the likes of myself: I'm young and healthy so can hold it till I get home usually and male, so if I do get caught short, it's a lot easier for me to pee behind a tree or whatever. But for anyone with any sort of bladder control issues, it's an important issue.

Don't get me wrong of course, I think we should have both public toilets and running tracks. But I think if you're forced to choose one or the other, public toilets have the higher priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I happened to run along the Prom in Salthill today. There were hundreds of people walking in groups, standing around in groups chatting with coffees, watching buskers, queuing for ice cream and the amount of people of on Ladies beach sunbathing almost on top of each other was incredible.

I’ve personally no problem with this but it just goes to show how ridiculous it is that we can’t have a controlled road race!

Absolute farce

TbL

Oh yeah pure coincidence you happened to go for a run when the Ladies beach was packed, you wearing the mankini to impress them?????

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Absolute farce

TbL

What a coincidence, I happened to be in Galway and ran along the Prom this afternoon. I was in a extremely heavy red jacket :rolleyes::eek:

Same as you I couldn't believe the amount in swimming and playing on the sand.

Stark wrote: »
    Lack of public toilets is a broader human rights issue in fairness. Fine for the likes of myself: I'm young and healthy so can hold it till I get home usually and male, so if I do get caught short, it's a lot easier for me to pee behind a tree or whatever. But for anyone with any sort of bladder control issues, it's an important issue.

Don't get me wrong of course, I think we should have both public toilets and running tracks. But I think if you're forced to choose one or the other, public toilets have the higher priority.

Absolutely agree, particularly for those who are homeless.

But the idea that sports facilities are used for this is baffling.

Absolutely agree, particularly for those who are homeless.

But the idea that sports facilities are used for this is baffling.

Yeah the councils should really be providing purpose built ones.

It will open on Monday for kids sports or is there a different rule for there?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Quiet!

zzzzzzZZZZZZZ Athletics Ireland zzzzzzZZZZZZZ

is asleep...

zzzzzzZZZZZZZ Athletics Ireland zzzzzzZZZZZZZ

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

New study released by parkrun today which covers simulations on 10,000 simulations of average sized parkrun's in the UK and based on the infection rate in the UK during the end of March.

https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2021/04/23/new-research-shows-exceptionally-low-risk-of-covid-transmission-at-outdoor-sporting-events/

Basically says that you aren't catching covid at a running event with a chance of around 0.015%.

• Advertisement

So for the latest episode of "races are coming back, in a form, and not very far away from you, keep the faith" I did my marathon race/ time trail yesterday.

Was the same crowd that organised the event I used for my virtual London back in October, and also the 5 miler I did last week. Slight variation on the course for this marathon so only 3 laps of the super flat bit we did 5 laps of in October, with then an out and back of 5 miles before and after that section. Almost perfect weather, nice and sunny but not actually hot until later on, was a bit windy but from a different direction to normal around the area and we only ended up running into the headwind for about a mile and half on each lap. Was starting and finishing at a decommissioned nuclear power station and after parking up we had to queue up for our numbers, that was a bit slow but didn't really matter as you just started once you'd wandered up to the start area, queued up and waited your turn to be scanned and then go. In theory it was meant to be ordered to limit overtaking, but nobody really cared about that and you just started whenever.

Was just aiming to get around in a "safe" 3:07 which is what I think I'd need to be fairly certain of GFA for London 2022, but after a mile someone else pulled alongside me and as he spotted my blood glucose sensor on my arm and he was diabetic himself we ended up chatting diabetes and running for the next 15 miles and I was then going at about 6:40-45 pace rather than the intended 7:05's. I knew it was a bit tastier than I wanted to be going so let him pull away at 16 miles and eased off myself. Was very quiet country lanes for the whole route, but a few people I knew had cycled out to watch or were running backwards around the laps to get their own run in and spectate which was cool to see other people who are also missing the spectating of running too. The 5 mile return from the lapped section and I started to pick off a few more people who'd gone speeding past earlier on despite me actually now running slower, but as we all started at different times you had no idea where you were actually placed. About 4 miles to go I caught up with my buddy from earlier and he tried to tag on again but couldn't keep it going and eventually clocked a time 6 minutes slower than mine so must have really struggled those last miles.

Coming past mile 25 had the unexpected support of the wife and kid parked on the side of the road to cheer me on as they had got away from kids activities earlier than expected. Need to work on the kids cheering though as that consisted of shouting "my leg hurts" as I ran past, yes I know child, mine do too.

Clocked a 3:06:20 in the end which should be sufficient for next years London based on 2020 allocation of places, but now concerned that my calculations didn't account for the changes in championship standards which will reduce the GFA places. That I managed to back off after the faster than intended start and still bring it in with the planned time is a good sign though and if I keep some training going until October then I can try for a safer time then, but the pressure is off a bit now as I have a time to apply with. If GFA standards shift that much that I don't get in with 3:06 then so be it.

Advertisement