Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build House - choosing site

• 21-04-2021 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi All,

just looking for some advice for anyone who may have been in same situation as me before.

I am about to embark on building a new house and luckily enough as my father is a farmer he is gifting me a site.

I have two options. -
    site A is approx 4 miles from home and is along a public road.
    site B is about 5 min walk from home and would be a little in off the public road but in an area of less traffic overall than site A

im torn between the two and id suppose its a weigh up really between being 5min walk from home (as I have other brothers who are 5min walk also, or of being further away of a 5min drive.

Not sure if anyone has any advice or opinions.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

I would say the one near the family.
    What's the point of getting in the car and driving 5 minutes when you can just walk over the road.
    Handy also in the future if there's children on the scene as they can play easier together.

This assumes of course that the sites are identical in ease of construction, aspect etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,720 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

not ever piece of field is a suitable site.

get a planning professional out to help you choose

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Pro's and con's for both - personally for me, we built a stones throw from herself's parents. Sometimes I wished we built 2000miles away ;)

I would agree it can be handy when kids are on the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Keep both options open as you never know what can happen during the process, once you start percolation testing and the planning process you never know what you might find or hidden costs. We did the same, built on the family farm along with other family members. We chose a site nearest the local village so we could access services and was cheaper to get setup.

Some other considerations:
    How far are the water and sewage network? - I would much rather be connected to mains and sewage than have a well or biocycle tank

How far is the electricity?

Do both sites have the same council contribution?

How close to the road? Tarmac for a long drive is expensive.

Broadband options? My brothers house does not get broadband as he chose a site outside of the distance to the exchange. I am within and get very fast fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I have two options. -

Check both options for availabily of broadband and other less important services like electicity and water.

But at the end of the day, the one with the easy planning etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

If both sites are equally suitable, id choose the further away site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Don't know if you are planning to get an Architect involved but I would recommend highly especially as this stage. Once of the best pieces of advice I got from my Architect was the position of the house on the site, if he had done nothing else then the position of the house would have paid for his fees. I had always visioned it being in the middle of the site but from the first minute the Arch came on site he walked straight down to the corner of the site site and said it has to go here. The house has to fit the site and you are lucky that you have a choice.
    They will recommend if you position you house here you can have the sun come up here views are this way etc etc. and they will design the house around this.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Don't know if you are planning to get an Architect involved but I would recommend highly especially as this stage. Once of the best pieces of advice I got from my Architect was the position of the house on the site, if he had done nothing else then the position of the house would have paid for his fees. I had always visioned it being in the middle of the site but from the first minute the Arch came on site he walked straight down to the corner of the site site and said it has to go here. The house has to fit the site and you are lucky that you have a choice.
    They will recommend if you position you house here you can have the sun come up here views are this way etc etc. and they will design the house around this.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT
    This where this book starts
    and will allow the op decide in conjunction with the A rather than be told as may be the import of your post.
    IIRC, the OP will be living in it, not the A

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭trafficlight

Thanks for all the comments and advice, appreciate it. My Architect is due to visit the second site (he has already seen the first one) to give his advice and recommendations so hopefully on that basis il make the final decision. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the comments and advice, appreciate it. My Architect is due to visit the second site (he has already seen the first one) to give his advice and recommendations so hopefully on that basis il make the final decision. :)

Have you read that book?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Pulse1975

Option B definitely

Advertisement