Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone get planning for solar PV? Did they inspect your site?

• 20-04-2021 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I know most people just take a very Irish approach to the restrictive planning regulations on solar installations for Irish houses and don't bother getting permission, but for those who did: what was the process?

I'm wondering if they actually inspect the site for such a small addition to the house (which I imagine would add a lot of delay given the backlog of people doing additions to their houses at the moment) or if they just go by the submitted paperwork for small additions like solar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pale rider

Caspero wrote: »
    I know most people just take a very Irish approach to the restrictive planning regulations on solar installations for Irish houses and don't bother getting permission, but for those who did: what was the process?

I'm wondering if they actually inspect the site for such a small addition to the house (which I imagine would add a lot of delay given the backlog of people doing

additions to their houses at the moment) or if they just go by the submitted paperwork for small additions like solar.

It’s a full planning application, you are right most don’t bother and of course you can apply for retention at a later stage.

I’d be more interested to know if any enforcement was threatened since the famous Limerick case which was frankly ridiculous. The Council spending our money chasing a lady that put PV panels on her roof with no pp. great that ABP had the common sense to permit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

pale rider wrote: »
    It’s a full planning application

Yep I know, but I haven't done one of those before for an addition like solar so I don't know whether they always inspect the site as part of that or whether they can just approve based on the full planning documentation that was submitted. I'm guessing inspections are backed up like everything else at the moment.

As an aside, planning is a huge obstacle to big residential solar additions. Holy crap there is a lot of work involved. It really changes the cost/benefit equation. Hopefully the Greens get their plan to remove the restrictions done. Do any of the other parties have that in their manifestos?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yep I know, but I haven't done one of those before for an addition like solar so I don't know whether they always inspect the site as part of that or whether they can just approve based on the full planning documentation that was submitted. I'm guessing inspections are backed up like everything else at the moment.

As an aside, planning is a huge obstacle to big residential solar additions. Holy crap there is a lot of work involved. It really changes the cost/benefit equation. Hopefully the Greens get their plan to remove the restrictions done. Do any of the other parties have that in their manifestos?

All Planning Applications incur a site visit. It’s mandatory and due diligence to at least make sure the drawings as submitted match what’s on the ground.

I’m still waiting to lodge a large array as part of any development but I have not had the pleasure of any clients that bother with planning for them. Especially after the ABP decision on a previous enforcement case.

The government are currently working on new regulations to remove the 12 Sq. M limit or at least increase it.

https://greennews.ie/landmark-planning-rooftop-solar/

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2019/07/25/landmark-planning-decision-to-allow-limerick-solar-panels/

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

Thanks Gumbo, that's very helpful.

Would you happen to have a source for this part? I've seen it in the Green manifesto but wondered if it was moving beyond that.
    Gumbo wrote: »
    The government are currently working on new regulations to remove the 12 Sq. M limit or at least increase it.

• Advertisement

Thanks Gumbo, that's very helpful.

Would you happen to have a source for this part? I've seen it in the Green manifesto but wondered if it was moving beyond that.

Only this

https://www.businesspost.ie/climate-environment/planning-rules-are-scrapped-for-rooftop-solar-panels-b5878cf8

Advertisement