Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cupra 290 opinions

• 20-04-2021 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi Everyone

I posted this on another forum and received some very good/informative feedback.

I just wanted to cast the net of "opinion seeking" out a little wider.

Essentially I guess I am trying to gauge opinion and see what the general consensus was surrounding Cupra 290 Leons?.... as I've been to see a few recently.

I have had a few hot hatches all of which Incorporated a 4 wheel drive system e.g. Quattro, X-Drive.

I've never owned a Cupra however.....but I may shortly.....

What do people think about Cupra 290 Leon Hatchback or has anyone any ownership experience?

How bad is this infamous wheel-hop I keep reading about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Gustavofring here has one with some very tasty mods done too, some criticise the interior but the Golf R is nothing special either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Hi Everyone

I posted this on another forum and received some very good/informative feedback.

I just wanted to cast the net of "opinion seeking" out a little wider.

Essentially I guess I am trying to gauge opinion and see what the general consensus was surrounding Cupra 290 Leons?.... as I've been to see a few recently.

I have had a few hot hatches all of which Incorporated a 4 wheel drive system e.g. Quattro, X-Drive.

I've never owned a Cupra however.....but I may shortly.....

What do people think about Cupra 290 Leon Hatchback or has anyone any ownership experience?

How bad is this infamous wheel-hop I keep reading about?

I've had a 290 ST for almost a year now, it's a late 2016 pre-facelift black edition.

If you're coming from something with all wheel drive you're not going to be able to plant the foot in the same way in lower gears - that's going to be obvious from the get go. Tyres and a lower torque mount will eliminate this to a huge extent. I have Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's on mine and traction/torque steer is a non-issue in the dry and manageable in the damp or wet. I had a lower torque mount installed but got it removed as it does add a bit of vibration - works extremely well though. For me the fact that it isn't a push the loud pedal and go kind of car adds to the fun as it means you need to try a little bit to get the most from it.

Manual clutches are a little soft like the R/GTI and an upgraded RTS or similar clutch is approx. €1200. I haven't had an issue with mine though and some owners have them lasting well north of 100k miles. If you plan on remapping a manual you should budget for a clutch though. DSG can handle the extra torque. Water pump/thermostat housing can leak - easy to check and common on the engine but apart from that the engines very solid and reliable.

They can be a little on the quiet side, especially the estates. I ended up getting a cat back exhaust and it made a big difference to the overall experience. DCC is standard on them which is rare on a GTI/R and is really impressive. For a smallish car on big wheels it rides and covers ground really serenely and never gets harsh. It's something you wont notice initially on a test drive but over the last year my mind is made up on having it on any future purchases just for how easy it makes a more stiffly sprung car to live with, the small gains in body control aren't enough to justify it on its own.

Be picky on spec. I imported as I couldn't get the combo I wanted. I knew I didn't want a sunroof (some cause grief and rattle a lot) and adaptive cruise I hate so they were the two options I wasn't bothered about but I was able to get pretty much everything else. It's worth finding one with the Cupra bucket seats - they're superb and lift an otherwise dull interior. It's not at Golf quality levels but compared to an Octavia it's every bit as good (and I've owned both).

IMG-20200530-174552-MP.jpg

Running costs are standard VAG - Major service recently with brake fluid was €360, tyres about €200 a corner, no timing belt on the EA888. Diff service around every 50k km and DSG I think is 60k km will stand to them. 30-ish to the gallon is about right on average, I've had maybe 35 way on longer runs. At the moment the way FR/GTI prices are going I think they're the bargain hot hatch in Ireland from some of the prices I am seeing advertised.

Should add this thread is about Golfs but a lot of the info is going to be similar and well worth a read.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058087379

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Praetorian22

Really appreciate the feedback Gustavo! I believe you also helped me out over on Backroads! :)

deposit went down today on the 290 Hatchback looking forward to picking it up soon thank you for all the help/guidance and information! really appreciate it

Really appreciate the feedback Gustavo! I believe you also helped me out over on Backroads! :)

deposit went down today on the 290 Hatchback looking forward to picking it up soon thank you for all the help/guidance and information! really appreciate it

Well wear! Throw up some pics when you get it.

Wasn’t me on BR but there’s a few owners about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement