Advertisement
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

HR Zones and breathing

2»

Comments

• Don't look at your watch so much when you're running. Most of your runs should be 'easy' and you need to learn to do these by feel. Make sure you can hold a conversation (talking to yourself is highly recommend!!) And / or practice some nose breathing throughout the run, that will bring your pace to where it should be. Overreliance on a watch that may or may not be right is not helpful.

So do you breath through your nose when running? I would normally be breathing through mouth. Might be part of my problem

Are you a golfer? Why not join the Boards.ie Golf Society. We are a very welcoming bunch of golf nuts so if you have a passion for the game with some like minded folk, come and get involved and play courses all over Ireland (and even further afield) with us. Drop me a pm with the below info and download the teamer app and we will send you invites to our outings.

• Name / Phone / Email / Home Club / GUI number

• Seve OB wrote: »
    So do you breath through your nose when running? I would normally be breathing through mouth. Might be part of my problem

I try, or at least I try during sections of my easy runs. It slows me down and lowers the heart rate. Don't overthink it though, just use it as a guide every now and then to make sure you're not going to fast when you should be running easy. Basically, just go and run at a pace you can talk or breath slowly and easily at.

• I’m probably going to sound like some sort of alien now having just landed on earth trying to figure out what is natural to humans!!!! :D
    Been trying to breath through my nose over the last week and am finding it very hard. I seem to naturally breath through my mouth. It’s taking a lot of concentration to inhale through my nose instead. I’m then breathing out through my mouth because it’s easier. Is that good or bad?
    Invariably I’ve drifted back to mouth breathing though as the run goes on and I stop thinking about it :(
    I’ll keep trying, but any tips greatly appreciated please.

In other news I was out the other night, got really pissed off when I knew I should be finished but had to continue for a while. Mapped it after. Watch had me do about 250m more than I actually should have to complete a 3.22 km session. If I’m doing an odd run here and there, so what, it’s no big deal. But I’m getting into in now haha and it’s frustrating.

So I bought a Fenix 6s Pro :D

Are you a golfer? Why not join the Boards.ie Golf Society. We are a very welcoming bunch of golf nuts so if you have a passion for the game with some like minded folk, come and get involved and play courses all over Ireland (and even further afield) with us. Drop me a pm with the below info and download the teamer app and we will send you invites to our outings.

• Seve OB wrote: »
    I’m probably going to sound like some sort of alien now having just landed on earth trying to figure out what is natural to humans!!!! :D
    Been trying to breath through my nose over the last week and am finding it very hard. I seem to naturally breath through my mouth. It’s taking a lot of concentration to inhale through my nose instead. I’m then breathing out through my mouth because it’s easier. Is that good or bad?
    Invariably I’ve drifted back to mouth breathing though as the run goes on and I stop thinking about it :(
    I’ll keep trying, but any tips greatly appreciated please.

In other news I was out the other night, got really pissed off when I knew I should be finished but had to continue for a while. Mapped it after. Watch had me do about 250m more than I actually should have to complete a 3.22 km session. If I’m doing an odd run here and there, so what, it’s no big deal. But I’m getting into in now haha and it’s frustrating.

So I bought a Fenix 6s Pro :D

Forget what I said about the nose breathing (or research it, google will help with that). I was only trying to reiterate that you need to be running slowly for your easy runs, one way to do that is to make sure you can hold a conversation with someone, another is to slow down your breathing. It's not meant to be complicated, don't overthink it.

• +1 dont worry about it... just breath. If you can chat or sing you are running easy enough and breathing as you should be ;)

• Advertisement

• Well I have been meaning to post here for a while. I finished the plan. I found actually having it on the watch/app as opposed to just writing down a plan made it much easier to stick with as you are always notified about the daily schedule and it certainly motivated me. I completed every day, no skips.
    I just want to throw this up here, probably more for myself if I want to look back at my progress.
    Week 7-10 are here, pretty much similar schedule, got to grips with the HR stuff in this section after previous comments and I actually feel that even though I my HR set up was all over the place before, once I tweaked it, I wasn't actually that far off what I should be at.

Week 7 Week 8 Week 9 Week 10
    Tempo run
    Tempo run
    1/4 @ 75%
    1/2 @ race pace 6:00
    1/4 @ 75% 1.61km 10:36 3.22km 20:50 3.22km 21:28 4.83km 21:28
    Run
    2 min warm up
    2 min warm down 4.83km 35:27 4.83km 35:03 4.83km 35:22 4.83km 34:09
    Tempo run
    .81km @ 75%
    1.61km @ race pace 6:00
    .81km @ 75% 21:15 22:41 21:22 21:51
    Steady state run
    2 min warm up
    Run @ 7:15-7:35
    2 min warm down 6.44km 50:52 6.44km 53:38 8.05km 62:53 8.05km 61:11
    Easy run
    2 min warm up
    run @ easy pace
    2 min warm down 3.22km 28:44 3.22km 26:04 3.22km 25:33 3.22km 26:49

The Last Week was a little different
    It started with a Speed repeats session.
    Warm up for 1.61 km and then 4*800m with a 30 seconds recover between each, followed by a cool down of 1.61 km.

Man I gave it everything, it was bloody tough. Possibly the hardest run I've ever done.

then 3 midweek runs of 1.61 km each with the usual 2 mins warm up and cool down.
    repeats|47:33
    run 1|13:11
    run 2|13:33
    run 3|13:21

then I took a couple of days off before heading to the Porterstown Parkrun track. 3 Laps of the park is a a good test with some hills thrown in to make it a proper 5k.
    Had my daughter with me on her bike and she just took off so when I turned the watch on I didn't give the GPS a chance to kick :( probably ended up doing about 100m further.... but all good.

The first km I was fast, to fast. 5:53 and that probably included my extra 100metres. The extra effort over the first km or so took a bit of a toll on the rest of the run, but I managed to hover on the 6min/km pace the next 2 km. Into the 4KM I started to feel it, I still held the pace but it was hard.
    Last KM, I was slipping. It was mainly uphill, but I knew with about 400m to go it would level out and the last 200m or so was slightly downhill. I was going to miss the 30 minute goal.

A big push though and once I hit the flat section I picked up the pace and with about 250 to go I let loose and went all out sprint.

Garmin has me crossing the line at 29:53, I'll take that :D

• Good man, fair play to you.

• I started running, realised how horrible it is and switched to trampolining (not rebounding) instead. Much easier on every bit of me.

Each to their own though.

• I started running, realised how horrible it is and switched to trampolining (not rebounding) instead. Much easier on every bit of me.

Each to their own though.

Great to share your experience with all of us here in the running forum.

• It was Easter Sunday when I got the 5km completed in my goal time. I then took a week off running but got some long brisk walks in. I kicked back off on the 10th with a neighbour and did 3km faster than I wanted at about 6:40 pace. In the 11 days since then I've tried to get into low HR Zone 2 running. Find it quite difficult to be honest, was running to fast, had to walk to get HR down, then was running to slow.... some of the earlier runs had lots of time in Zone 1, but I'm getting used to it a bit more now. Still a good bit of my time though creeping into Zone 3 when I have having to stop running. I am not totally convinced that it's going to make me faster though in the long run :) I will stick with it though for a few weeks and see how i get on.

I do find that going slower, trying to keep the HR down has got me concentrating more on breathing in through my nose and out through mouth. My times are slow (over 35 mins for 5k). I've gotten a good few 5km runs in, a 5 miler and last night I stepped it up to a challenging enough 10km with a few hills involved. I went out to do that with the HR training in mind but I was also determined to run it all and was targeting the steady state run pace from my plan above of between 7:15-7:30 pace. But even if the HR alert beeped I planned to make sure every KM was going to be under 8 min pace at worst. It did beep a few times, but I kept running when it did, just dropped the pace a little. When I got to the last KM, the first half was uphill and the HR alert was red hot, but I kept it as slow as possible till I got to the downhill section and with about 100m I just kicked for home. Completed in 1:16:05 (7:36 pace). 9 mins in zone 3 and the rest in zone 2 so was very pleased with that. I've not done many 10km runs, but of the few I have done, my best time is 1:13:53 back in 2012, so I reckon I could easily beat that now. I'd really like to break the hour, so might just have to make that my next goal.

Can I do 10km in under an hour? Maybe a goal of 3 months and aim for the August bank holiday or is it doable sooner?

And another question for you seasoned experts, Should I do all my runs in Zone 2? Can I do an odd pacier run? I wouldn't mind trying to set a record for my 3km block run and maybe a few fast 5km, not necessarily PB's, but maybe 90% type of pace. If it's ok to throw these kind of runs in, how often?

I'm getting out a little on the bike to and hope to more with the nice weather but will that affect my low HR training and should I be doing something similar with HR when on the bike?

Oh and golf is back next week :D 36 holes a week is the target

• Advertisement

• I have felt a lack of motivation with no plan to follow so I signed up to 10k plan last night and went out and did the benchmark run, which was the exact same as I did for the 5km, 2 mins warm up and run like Forest Gump for 5 mins and 2 minute cool down.

so last time out (3 months ago now) my warm up/cool down was slow at 8:30 pace. I ran .85km in the 5 mins. I was in bits after it.... for a good while.

last night I was fairly smashed, but felt I most definitely recovered quicker. Not only that, my warm up/down was @7:30 pace and I smashed my own 1km record and managed to complete it in just less then the 5 minutes.

My Vo2 max is now 42 (fitness age of 41), so certainly an improvement on a reading I took in early February of 36 with a fitness age of 58.

You can't see the tailored plan (or even get an idea of what is involved) until you complete the benchmark run but this new plan looks a lot more complicated with goal pace repeats, hill repeats, speed repeats. I think preferred the other one which was basically just go out and run so I'm not sure I'll stick with this one, but for now its something to work on to try and keep myself interested.

Already played golf twice :)

• missed some of the runs already :(

but got stuck in the other day and did what they call speed repeats.

it starts out with 5 minute warm up then gets into some drills.
    i get the cadence drill (i think) basically 4*30 seconds and quick short steps to build the cadence, which i found to be fairly intence but maybe i'm doing it wrong
    then a acceleration glider drill, which i just can't get my head around at all.

you also have to press the lap button between each jump above, i've no idea why but it just adds to the confusion

then the speed repeats, 6*800 m at a "challenging pace but no sprinting" 5:35-5:48, which is obviously quite challenging for me. i was able to keep going for the first 4 sets mainly due to a 3 minute walk in between each, but the legs were in bits. the 5th was a challenge, heavy wind and rain weren't helping but i wasn't to bad coming in at 5:57. pushed it hard for the last set and managed the number just about @5:48. i was never sprinting in any of these. after the last walk, a gentle 7:49 pace jog for 5 minutes to cool down was tough.

in the end 9km done in just over an hour which was an all inclusive avg pace of 6:55. Jelly legs after!

need to read up more on the lap press transition and the acceleration glider drill... anyone done this before can give tips?

Advertisement