Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My sporadic running blog

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Don't look at your watch so much when you're running. Most of your runs should be 'easy' and you need to learn to do these by feel. Make sure you can hold a conversation (talking to yourself is highly recommend!!) And / or practice some nose breathing throughout the run, that will bring your pace to where it should be. Overreliance on a watch that may or may not be right is not helpful.

So do you breath through your nose when running? I would normally be breathing through mouth. Might be part of my problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Seve OB wrote: »
    So do you breath through your nose when running? I would normally be breathing through mouth. Might be part of my problem

I try, or at least I try during sections of my easy runs. It slows me down and lowers the heart rate. Don't overthink it though, just use it as a guide every now and then to make sure you're not going to fast when you should be running easy. Basically, just go and run at a pace you can talk or breath slowly and easily at.

I’m probably going to sound like some sort of alien now having just landed on earth trying to figure out what is natural to humans!!!! :D
    Been trying to breath through my nose over the last week and am finding it very hard. I seem to naturally breath through my mouth. It’s taking a lot of concentration to inhale through my nose instead. I’m then breathing out through my mouth because it’s easier. Is that good or bad?
    Invariably I’ve drifted back to mouth breathing though as the run goes on and I stop thinking about it :(
    I’ll keep trying, but any tips greatly appreciated please.

In other news I was out the other night, got really pissed off when I knew I should be finished but had to continue for a while. Mapped it after. Watch had me do about 250m more than I actually should have to complete a 3.22 km session. If I’m doing an odd run here and there, so what, it’s no big deal. But I’m getting into in now haha and it’s frustrating.

So I bought a Fenix 6s Pro :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Seve OB wrote: »
    I’m probably going to sound like some sort of alien now having just landed on earth trying to figure out what is natural to humans!!!! :D
    Been trying to breath through my nose over the last week and am finding it very hard. I seem to naturally breath through my mouth. It’s taking a lot of concentration to inhale through my nose instead. I’m then breathing out through my mouth because it’s easier. Is that good or bad?
    Invariably I’ve drifted back to mouth breathing though as the run goes on and I stop thinking about it :(
    I’ll keep trying, but any tips greatly appreciated please.

In other news I was out the other night, got really pissed off when I knew I should be finished but had to continue for a while. Mapped it after. Watch had me do about 250m more than I actually should have to complete a 3.22 km session. If I’m doing an odd run here and there, so what, it’s no big deal. But I’m getting into in now haha and it’s frustrating.

So I bought a Fenix 6s Pro :D

Forget what I said about the nose breathing (or research it, google will help with that). I was only trying to reiterate that you need to be running slowly for your easy runs, one way to do that is to make sure you can hold a conversation with someone, another is to slow down your breathing. It's not meant to be complicated, don't overthink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

+1 dont worry about it... just breath. If you can chat or sing you are running easy enough and breathing as you should be ;)

• Advertisement

Well I have been meaning to post here for a while. I finished the plan. I found actually having it on the watch/app as opposed to just writing down a plan made it much easier to stick with as you are always notified about the daily schedule and it certainly motivated me. I completed every day, no skips.
    I just want to throw this up here, probably more for myself if I want to look back at my progress.
    Week 7-10 are here, pretty much similar schedule, got to grips with the HR stuff in this section after previous comments and I actually feel that even though I my HR set up was all over the place before, once I tweaked it, I wasn't actually that far off what I should be at.

Week 7 Week 8 Week 9 Week 10
    Tempo run
    Tempo run
    1/4 @ 75%
    1/2 @ race pace 6:00
    1/4 @ 75% 1.61km 10:36 3.22km 20:50 3.22km 21:28 4.83km 21:28
    Run
    2 min warm up
    2 min warm down 4.83km 35:27 4.83km 35:03 4.83km 35:22 4.83km 34:09
    Tempo run
    .81km @ 75%
    1.61km @ race pace 6:00
    .81km @ 75% 21:15 22:41 21:22 21:51
    Steady state run
    2 min warm up
    Run @ 7:15-7:35
    2 min warm down 6.44km 50:52 6.44km 53:38 8.05km 62:53 8.05km 61:11
    Easy run
    2 min warm up
    run @ easy pace
    2 min warm down 3.22km 28:44 3.22km 26:04 3.22km 25:33 3.22km 26:49

The Last Week was a little different
    It started with a Speed repeats session.
    Warm up for 1.61 km and then 4*800m with a 30 seconds recover between each, followed by a cool down of 1.61 km.

Man I gave it everything, it was bloody tough. Possibly the hardest run I've ever done.

then 3 midweek runs of 1.61 km each with the usual 2 mins warm up and cool down.
    repeats|47:33
    run 1|13:11
    run 2|13:33
    run 3|13:21

then I took a couple of days off before heading to the Porterstown Parkrun track. 3 Laps of the park is a a good test with some hills thrown in to make it a proper 5k.
    Had my daughter with me on her bike and she just took off so when I turned the watch on I didn't give the GPS a chance to kick :( probably ended up doing about 100m further.... but all good.

The first km I was fast, to fast. 5:53 and that probably included my extra 100metres. The extra effort over the first km or so took a bit of a toll on the rest of the run, but I managed to hover on the 6min/km pace the next 2 km. Into the 4KM I started to feel it, I still held the pace but it was hard.
    Last KM, I was slipping. It was mainly uphill, but I knew with about 400m to go it would level out and the last 200m or so was slightly downhill. I was going to miss the 30 minute goal.

A big push though and once I hit the flat section I picked up the pace and with about 250 to go I let loose and went all out sprint.

Garmin has me crossing the line at 29:53, I'll take that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Good man, fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I started running, realised how horrible it is and switched to trampolining (not rebounding) instead. Much easier on every bit of me.

Each to their own though.

I started running, realised how horrible it is and switched to trampolining (not rebounding) instead. Much easier on every bit of me.

Each to their own though.

Great to share your experience with all of us here in the running forum.

It was Easter Sunday when I got the 5km completed in my goal time. I then took a week off running but got some long brisk walks in. I kicked back off on the 10th with a neighbour and did 3km faster than I wanted at about 6:40 pace. In the 11 days since then I've tried to get into low HR Zone 2 running. Find it quite difficult to be honest, was running to fast, had to walk to get HR down, then was running to slow.... some of the earlier runs had lots of time in Zone 1, but I'm getting used to it a bit more now. Still a good bit of my time though creeping into Zone 3 when I have having to stop running. I am not totally convinced that it's going to make me faster though in the long run :) I will stick with it though for a few weeks and see how i get on.

I do find that going slower, trying to keep the HR down has got me concentrating more on breathing in through my nose and out through mouth. My times are slow (over 35 mins for 5k). I've gotten a good few 5km runs in, a 5 miler and last night I stepped it up to a challenging enough 10km with a few hills involved. I went out to do that with the HR training in mind but I was also determined to run it all and was targeting the steady state run pace from my plan above of between 7:15-7:30 pace. But even if the HR alert beeped I planned to make sure every KM was going to be under 8 min pace at worst. It did beep a few times, but I kept running when it did, just dropped the pace a little. When I got to the last KM, the first half was uphill and the HR alert was red hot, but I kept it as slow as possible till I got to the downhill section and with about 100m I just kicked for home. Completed in 1:16:05 (7:36 pace). 9 mins in zone 3 and the rest in zone 2 so was very pleased with that. I've not done many 10km runs, but of the few I have done, my best time is 1:13:53 back in 2012, so I reckon I could easily beat that now. I'd really like to break the hour, so might just have to make that my next goal.

Can I do 10km in under an hour? Maybe a goal of 3 months and aim for the August bank holiday or is it doable sooner?

And another question for you seasoned experts, Should I do all my runs in Zone 2? Can I do an odd pacier run? I wouldn't mind trying to set a record for my 3km block run and maybe a few fast 5km, not necessarily PB's, but maybe 90% type of pace. If it's ok to throw these kind of runs in, how often?

I'm getting out a little on the bike to and hope to more with the nice weather but will that affect my low HR training and should I be doing something similar with HR when on the bike?

Oh and golf is back next week :D 36 holes a week is the target

• Advertisement

I have felt a lack of motivation with no plan to follow so I signed up to 10k plan last night and went out and did the benchmark run, which was the exact same as I did for the 5km, 2 mins warm up and run like Forest Gump for 5 mins and 2 minute cool down.

so last time out (3 months ago now) my warm up/cool down was slow at 8:30 pace. I ran .85km in the 5 mins. I was in bits after it.... for a good while.

last night I was fairly smashed, but felt I most definitely recovered quicker. Not only that, my warm up/down was @7:30 pace and I smashed my own 1km record and managed to complete it in just less then the 5 minutes.

My Vo2 max is now 42 (fitness age of 41), so certainly an improvement on a reading I took in early February of 36 with a fitness age of 58.

You can't see the tailored plan (or even get an idea of what is involved) until you complete the benchmark run but this new plan looks a lot more complicated with goal pace repeats, hill repeats, speed repeats. I think preferred the other one which was basically just go out and run so I'm not sure I'll stick with this one, but for now its something to work on to try and keep myself interested.

Already played golf twice :)

missed some of the runs already :(

but got stuck in the other day and did what they call speed repeats.

it starts out with 5 minute warm up then gets into some drills.
    i get the cadence drill (i think) basically 4*30 seconds and quick short steps to build the cadence, which i found to be fairly intence but maybe i'm doing it wrong
    then a acceleration glider drill, which i just can't get my head around at all.

you also have to press the lap button between each jump above, i've no idea why but it just adds to the confusion

then the speed repeats, 6*800 m at a "challenging pace but no sprinting" 5:35-5:48, which is obviously quite challenging for me. i was able to keep going for the first 4 sets mainly due to a 3 minute walk in between each, but the legs were in bits. the 5th was a challenge, heavy wind and rain weren't helping but i wasn't to bad coming in at 5:57. pushed it hard for the last set and managed the number just about @5:48. i was never sprinting in any of these. after the last walk, a gentle 7:49 pace jog for 5 minutes to cool down was tough.

in the end 9km done in just over an hour which was an all inclusive avg pace of 6:55. Jelly legs after!

need to read up more on the lap press transition and the acceleration glider drill... anyone done this before can give tips?

I think it’s time to wake up the sleeping giant Seve. So since the above I got a bit busier last year with work and a garden project (still not finished). Golf was a priority for my free time and running was minimal to non existent.

roll on winter and when the dark evenings arrived in November I figured I needed to occupy my time and get back to a bit of running but I couldn’t motivate myself. I was at least back playing a bit of 5 a side Astro but I needed to compliment that with some proper running because my fitness was poor. Well I finally got going and since the end of November I’ve been clocking up a reasonable amount of miles each week (between 10-18km). I did take a week off in January for a golf holiday and couldn’t motivate myself to get back for a week after that.

but now I’m back at it. Following a Garmin plan since December, again targeting Easter Sunday, this time to complete a 10km in hopefully about an hour. My best still stands at 1:13. I’m missing more runs this time, because I am feeling it, legs are tired, so I’m taking breaks. However I am quite comfortable doing the distance when rested. It’s the usual stuff, but it did start with a lot of easy runs which I was doing at low HR and was beginning to get really bored with it. Then after a fair few weeks tempo runs, steady state runs, speed repeats, did hill repeats the other day (which killed me).

what I have noticed is, I’m fitter. A good bit fitter. It didn’t take me long to get back on the horse this time around. When I run, I’m not boll0x3d after. I’m not near 1hour 10km pace, quite a bit off it. I think I’d find it hard to do 5km in 30 mins (haven’t even tried that since last years efforts).

but in amongst the training, there are moments when I’m covering 800m in say 5:20 pace. I could never do that before. Sure I can’t keep it up, but I can build on it. In fact where I used to struggle with doing more was more from a cardio point of view, now it seems that it’s more the legs.

as I build the mileage and the legs get stronger I can certainly see that I can improve my times. A year ago I really didn’t have any hope.

well, I had been meaning to resurrect this as a bit of a log for myself, so now that it’s done I hope to add weekly updates. I reckon I’ve been close to 1:09 for a 10k, but the run was not long enough (I had more in the tank and could have gone the distance). It I was sticking to plan. I think at the moment, I could do a 10km in 1:06.

my goal is Easter Sunday, break 1:05 and do my damndest to get as close to the hour mark as possible.

I think 3 times a week is as much as I can get out there to train, would like to do 4, but at the moment, the legs are not allowing it.

missed a run last night, an easy 3 miler, but I’m going to make up for it with a 5km tonight. Aim is to keep it handy but still reasonable pace, maybe zone 3, 6:45 or so pace.

now off to seek help for new gear

Post edited by Seve OB on

I know zone 3 is not supposed to be great for running in, but as I say, I was bored of zone 2. I have to stop to much and go quite slow.7min+ pace.

so just a test, did 5km there, zone 3 so not pushing it to my limit but still a bit of a test. Was pleased with this result.

I need to set my watch up to beep a bit better when I go high in my zones. Garmin Fenix 6 pro. All seems to happen is a screen flash, would be good to get a whisper in the ear or something (anyone help here?) ended up going a bit more in the higher zones than I wanted but still minimal enough really.

anyway keep it in zone 3 was the target and under 7 min pace. Was doing well for fist 2 kms at about 6:20 pace but settled in then and soon found that at about 6:30 I was tipping the scales into zone 4.

I stopped to walking pace every time I realised I hit zone 4+, and to be honest surprised myself that it was so little at that pace I completed.

30 mins actually looks very much more doable than I felt I was at. Might try get a park run in over next few weeks and give it a lash.

I would love to get myself to a stage where I would be able to out and run (without stopping) for 5km at zone 2 pace in under 30 mins. That has to be my ultimate goal, something I could do twice a week as a way to keep myself in shape and wouldn’t affect the golf to much …… of course I actually feel it really benefits my golf and I’m carrying clubs at the moment.

oh and new runners ordered so they will take 5 minutes of my 5km time soon 🤣

The same way as getting new clubs takes 5 shots off your handicap 😉🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

I found that my "natural" running pace became easier over the course of a few months, heart rate settled down into zone 2/3,not thinking too much about breathing. It helped that I got a chest HRM and set up HR zones based on the Garmin guided test / lactate threshold (less complicated than it sounds). The default zones based on age may be way off for your individual physiology.

I think you can set up the Garmins to speak pace alerts (either from the watch speaker or via headphones), mine just decides randomly!

Have a chest strap, but going to upgrade that soon. Have the zones set up correctly and not based on the age park.

the pace alerts are working fine, get the whisper on them through the headphones, I just have to figure out how to get the zone alerts shouting at me a bit better, although maybe not possible

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

The Garmin megathread would be the place to ask. But I'd suggest not stressing too much about whether you're in "zone 2"or" zone 3",just keep easy running (or follow the Garmin Coach plan) and it'll eventually work itself out.

So just a bit of an update on the past week

no football ☹️ I actually feel I’m getting a lot fitter through both the football and the hit of running. Carrying the golf bag is not a big slog and I’m well able for it.

anyway, the running! I was tired on the Wednesday so decided to push that run out to Thursday. It was called supersets. A warm up of 1.6 km (Garmin is annoying when they use miles for no reason other than being awkward) an all out sprint for 200m, a good fast dash for 600m and 1.6km @ close to goal pace. Then repeat this set…….. we’ll, it was dark, cold, a little rainy….. so I missed the 1.6 take it handy in the middle and went all out sprinting and was wondering when it was ever going to end!!!!! So blew my load a little and then struggled a bit to keep pace with the second set but I hung on in there. Gave the warm down 1.6km after a miss, I was wrecked

then Friday I did a tempo run. Easy pace for a mile, then three sets of a mile at 6:20-30 pace. 5 minute brisk walking in between. Last one was a struggle to make the pace but I got there. 1 more easy mile to cool down……. Jelly legs!

didn’t bother with the steady state run last night, decided it was that or an easy run tonight so went for the easy option!

have noticed legs are quite tired. Huge difference in training for 10 to a 5k. I am deffo feeling fitter

Well I’ve been quiet here lately. But that doesn’t mean I haven’t been running! I didn’t really stick with the training plan though as just had a fair bit of other stuff to do and timings didn’t really work out. But I went out whenever I could (couple of times a week) right up to the beginning of April ……. When I went away on hold.

from that point on the plan was out the window and while away I just went for a run whenever I got time. I had a lovely spongy running track to enjoy along with my new extremely comfortable runners. I was expecting times to be quick but I guess with very high temperatures it was an unrealistic expectation.

I had one major goal though and that was to cover the lap (just over 2.6k) in less than 15 mins. Oh I’ve been here a few times before and I think previous best was about 17 mins. I set an early pace of 15:45 or so. Then for couple of weeks runs we’re a lot easier but also longer, mostly about 5k and up to almost 12 on one occasion. I waited till nearly the last night and got to tackle it at pace for a second time. 14:38. Happy out. On last night though I had a second target in sight. A double lap in under 35…….. 34:09 nice one

these are actually slow enough times pace wise but in well over 30 degrees I think pretty good for where I am at.

now I’m also after figuring out that if I leave the Garmin coach off the Fenix and just go for a run, with headphones linked direct to the watch, it does give alerts to HR zones when you are low and high etc. I’ve just loaded my tunes onto the watch now and using that.

I’ve gone a for a few light runs in the last week since I’ve been home. I want to try 2 things. This low HR stuff, properly this time and give it a chance. Also want to get my cadence up. I’m very very low, probably average low 140’s.

so my last 2 runs were focused on both these things to set a bench mark so to speak. My 5 km lap in zone 2 (small slippage into zone 3) but able to get it back down while still running (much slower) as opposed to stopping into a walk. 9% of the run was in zone 3 and it took 35:11

i also got my cadence up quite a bit. Average of 154 and I saw a small bit green for the first time ever. Short quick strides.

last night I took on my 3km lap but was not as good at keeping HR down spending 16% in zone 3. Still not bad. But the shorter run naturally allowed me to go a little faster and my cadence was a whopping 161 avg with a lot of green in the early parts. 18:27 to complete the distance.

im going to work on faster cadence and lower HR for the next month or so and hopefully will see an improvement on the above

• Advertisement

4 miles yesterday.

still concentrating on the cadence. Feels very different taking shorter strides, I’m 6ft tall and logic and natural reaction says longer strides, so it’s taking a bit of concentration.

average was 154 again and just green at start, till the HR shot up and I had to slow down a bit! 15% of this run was in zone 3+. Righty or wrongly I tend to try keep running (at absolute snails pace) rather than stop or walk when HR goes high, just till it comes down enough at then pick the pace up again. I was deffo a bit slower avg pace this time, legs feel good though.

cycled to work today. 11 km each way and I take it handy but a couple of proper hills there to test the metal

So an observation. Coming home other day on the bike I hit Chapelizod/Knockmaroon hill. Anyone who knows it, knows it’s a bit of a killer. My fitness is definitely improving, I was able to take it on stronger than I ever have. But I do notice when I do go up it, it’s like I’m after going on a flat out sprint which would send my HR through the roof. And that’s the way I feel when I cycle it. But about as high as my HR goes on the hill is 155. I’m sure there is science behind it, but just find it a bit crazy as if I was running and felt the same I’d probably be looking at well north of 180.

anyway, back to the running. Took another 4 miles on Wednesday evening. Probably the strongest I’ve felt, maybe ever, on a run. Again worked on short strides to get cadence higher, managed to stay in the green a bit longer. These green stretches are always at the beginning of the runs. Average for this run was 156 so a gentle improvement.

of course that’s cause I’m going faster at the start before my HR kicks up a notch ( I never warm up, apart from a few stretches). Zone 3 was hit for 10% of this run so another improvement. Average pace was 6:59 , which is another improvement. Probably my best easy zone 2 run so far.

im sure next time will be hard enough to match that as I seem to be up and down from run to run, but hopefully I’ll keep it close at worst and look for improvement where I can.

oh and also improvement in Garmin VO2 max and Fitness age, with note that my training status is productive and above targets……. I’ll take that.

Well I’ve been quite lately….. cause I’ve been busy, and running/cycling has taken a back seat again!

So for the first time in probably 2 months I went out for a run last Thursday. 3km block and and while I went out with the intention of taking it reasonably handy, and had a target to break 20mins. the first 500m or so was probably a bit fast. I was concentrating on a short stride and quicker cadence.

Best and most consistent cadence I’ve ever run.

I then slowed slightly, but when the watch beeped to say that I’d passed through the first km in 5:44 I said to myself, keep going at this pace and cover another half km, then the push was to get the 2km mark at the pace.

2km was 5:37. I was on the limit. But decided to push it for one more km. full gas and see could I keep it going and beat 18 mins. Well it was hard. I usually have a little kick left as I turn onto my road and the last 100m or so. I had nothing! but managed to finish the last km in another steady 5:52 and posted a time of 17:15 for the 3km block. One of no more than 7 or 8 times I’ve beaten 18 minutes and only 2 seconds slower than my fastest ever which was 5.5 years ago.

i was bolloxed 😂 had nothing left,

realised with not going out in so long, I didn’t prepare, no little towel for sweat, no drink of water and the big one, no inhaler. Not having a couple of puffs before I went out made a big difference. I really felt a big difference when I was finished with the breathing.

anyway, it was a great run, I’m very happy with it, but most importantly it got me back at it and I went out again yesterday and went under 20 mins at about 70%.

Dark nights are coming in now. No more football so back to running. Set a marker tonight. It wasn’t a good one.

5km in 40:31

tried to stay in zone 2. I think Garmin shifts my HR zones because they seem slightly lower, so I invariably drifter up into zone 3 a bit (10 mins in total).

will aim for 3 runs per week, maybe 4. Zone 2 all the way, concentrate on short strides.

As usual been quiet and not to much running over last few months

went out New Years Eve and did 5 miles. Couldn’t run it all but ran most. Just over an hour.

last Friday I went out and gave it socks for 5km. Probably went off too fast. First 2km was just under 12 mins. Couldn’t keep running all the way through so a few walk breaks. Covered the distance in 32:32. I was laying down a marker to see where I’m at now and set myself a goal. Not sure I could have done much faster but now I have something to work on. Target is Easter Sunday, 5km in 29:30

HR is still mad high

started a 5k plan tonight on the Garmin. Ran .97km in 5 mins. My record on Garmin for 1km is 4:58. Definitely something I can target but for the moment I’ll try just following the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Are those Zones accurate or just Garmin defaults? I'd probably mostly ignore them if they're not accurate (unique to you based on a lab or field test to identify threshold or max). But in general consistency is what you're after, and you'll only be consistent if you're not flogging yourself every time you go out. Set an achievable process based goal - eg. run 4 times per week for 30mins, all easy running on 3 of those days and once a week throw in a few strides. After a couple of weeks start to increase 1 run per week by a few mins each week, working your way up to an hour comfortably without stopping - in general I think if you are stopping you're probably going too fast, just slow it right down. Right now you'll make big gains just being consistent and not over complicating it and definitely not by testing how fast you can run 5k or 1k on a regular basis.

Or else just follow the Garmin plan - though if it is based on a goal time then I'd be wary of it.

Thanks for feedback ariana. Getting comments like this always gives me great encouragement to get back out there.

First let me clarify that I do not flog myself every time I go out, far from it actually. When I went out on NYE it was first time in probably 6 weeks since I'd been out and a good bit further than would be regular. I didn't push that one, the legs just didn't have the distance in me which is why I couldn't run it all.

Last week was just a hard run just to test myself in order to set a goal. So yes I was running to fast which caused me to stop. I agree, testing myself on a regular basis is not what I'll be doing. (The 1km there was the Garmin Benchmark run to kick off the training plan). I've no plans to be doing that again for at least a couple of months.

In general I think my legs are not used to it, tired (and old 😁) and need to build up a bit of strength in them again.

You are probably correct in saying I should just go out 4 times per week. Thanks for tip and link to strides, I'll definitely look at that. But as is my problem, I hate running lol so always find it hard to get motivated. So for now, I find that having the Garmin plan set up gives me the best motivation so I'll be truing to stick to that.... even if it is time based goal 😆

I think the zones are good, they are not Garmin defaults. They are based on max (I'm closer to 50 than I am to 40) but I'm not sure where I got the percentages, it was either here or a link I was given from here. It's always bugged me though because I can never get running in lower zones (HR just beeps to say gone to high all the time) so the zone 2 training never worked no matter how hard I tried. It became annoying so I pretty much gave up. Maybe they are just wrong though.

anyway, Garmin seems slightly confident that I can hit the goal, I’ll plug away for now and see how I get on

So 3 weeks of this plan now completed.

I’ve not missed any sessions (4 per week) but did defer a couple when either times didn’t suit or I felt I needed break.

Sometimes I feel crap on a short run and good on longer runs. I guess a lot has to do with the bones getting older, rest periods and definitely booze 😳

I need to work on my form, looking at stats on Garmin I’m way off. Stride is too long and I’m clearly bouncing too high when I run. I find it is a bit easier to concentrate on this at the beginning of runs and shorten strides and keep head down to minimise the bobbing but after a km or so and I’m starting to feel the burn, I find it much more difficult to control. I guess as I build endurance up again it might help me work on that a bit harder.

HR can still be all over the shop, even trying to take it handy I just can’t keep it down. But the odd time, and it is rare, it doesn’t go up as bad as other times. I just think it’s got a lot to do with how fit/unfit I am.

changed my goal to 29 minutes and brought finish date a week earlier. Garmin is even more confident that I can do this after 3 weeks.

Week 4 done and completed there on Sunday evening

It consisted of 5 workouts as in week 1 I had deferred 1 workout and I only caught up this week.

Definitely feeling stronger in the runs. Left leg a little sore as shin on the longer runs. I guess just need to build up the strength.

In this week there were 2 new workouts being goal pace repeats and a time trial. Up till now it really had been a bunch of easy runs. They aren't gone though.

The goal pace was 600m @ goal pace and 400m recovery * 4 times. I was strong and was ahead by 12-19 sec p/km in each repeat, so good signs. Will be a different story when doing them all together though!

The time trial was a warm up for 10 mins than a mile run. I was conscious not to go off to fast and think I settled into a decent rhythm fairly early on and was able to keep the pace pretty steady for the full mile. I figured that I was already showing signs of being as good as I've ever been, so I set a target to break my mile PB which was recorded a couple years ago @ 8:48. So about 5:20 km pace was target. So I did start a little fast at about 5:15. Probably felt it as I did drop down to about 5:30 after 3 mins or so, but kept that steady and a strong finish kicking it up to 4:50 crossing the line. New mile record @8:34.9. Very happy with that.

My form is still terrible though, strides way to long @ about 1.2m when running. Cadence much better though when running strong in high 150's... but that is running flat out.

Similar schedule for the week ahead to cross the half way point and looking strong and favourite to make target goal time

• Advertisement

7 Weeks finished and haven't missed a session. Definitely feeling stronger and probably for the very first time in the 10+ years of my on and off running, I've had a few sessions over the last week or 2 where I actually felt like a runner. A bloody slow one, but a runner none the less 🤣 So much so, that the needle was off the chart and confidence level was top of the purple.

So up till week 6 I was just plodding along following the plan. To be honest I was starting to find the plan a bit boring. It basically has 3 easy runs per week, 2 short & one long. And the fourth session is the only one with a bit of a mix up, and always seems to be on a Wednesday.

So Easy runs, Zone 2. I just can't do it. HR always goes to high. The plan gives a time to do the easy runs in (about 6:50-7:20 per KM) and I was originally trying to keep within the time. Then I tried to keep the HR down and within the time. It's basically impossible. Having a hill in the runs at about the 3km mark probably not helping. But go into zone 3 and even zone 4, I'm slowing down, get HR back down and go again. However it is just not possible to get within the time at Zone 2 but I may have gotten close a couple of times. I really tried a few times and the other day on long easy run half way through I gave up. If I'm to keep to zone 2 for a longer run I probably want to run at about 8:15... sure I can feckin walk at that pace.

With the last week or so, trying hard at keeping HR down has meant the needle has fallen way back into the green. From here on in, I'm ignoring the idea of zone 2, (rightly or wrongly) and plan to just run within the time frame indicated.

Week 6 threw hill repeats at me run. I wasn't looking forward to that. I picked a closed road in Phoenix Park and ran up and down it 8 times at pace (well pace for me). 45 second spurts uphill at 5:20 ish, but the last one I gave absolute socks and covered that in 4:26 pace. I won't be getting excited over about 160 meters though.

Week 7 threw me the most daunting looking task of all. Goal Pace repeats, with added striders??? If I can get close to completing this I'll have a real chance of breaking the 29 minutes. Possible chance as I've kept hills off this route but I'll never get close though will I???

10 minute walk or jog warm up, (which I shuffle along at about 8-9 min pace)

5 * 1km run at 5:51-5:57

200m jog in between (I walked most)

3*200m @ 5:05-5:17

200m jog in between (I walked most again)

10 minute cool down (I probably went to fast at 7:16 pace

So the most daunting, but without question, the most enjoyable training plan run I've ever completed. 2km in and hitting the targets, 5:51 & 5:52, but I had to walk in between. I thought I'll be doing well to get 4 km's done at the pace. But I was feeling stronger the more I got into it. 5:46, 5:49 and last one was 5:51. I have to reign in the excitement though as I was walking 200m in between each km. I couldn't have done that jogging in between, I needed the rest. Now for the big test though, picking the pace up a few times after all that. I gave it my best shot. Didn't sprint just ran strong an faster. 5:00, 5:10 & 5:06. I did it, but walks in between again. I was kinda dissapointe that I had walked, which is probably why I ran a bit faster on the warm down than I probably should have @ 7:16 pace.

When I finished I had covered 9.88km in 1:07:14. My 10 KM PB set last year is 1:09:11, so essentially I just ran my fastest ever 10km (even though I didn't finish the last 100m 😆). But it gives me hope.

Same run on the schedule for this week, which I'm looking forward to although not really expecting to get the same results, but I'll try hard to get the jog in between. I'll stick to time goals on easy runs also

Advertisement