Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City to Inis Mór ferry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Nice :) I always try to bring visitors to the Aran Islands, but the trip to Rossaveal/Doolin is offputting for some. Plus the boat in and out from the city should be a nice addition to the trip.

After covid settles down, of course..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Should be great for bringing tourists out and back, maybe also islanders that work in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CCat

I'm looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm not going to get excited about it until they announce a timetable, fares and Galway city berthing location.

Pretty sure we've seen announcements like this before.

"But final details of this exciting route, including a surprise addition to the return leg of the journey which takes in one of Ireland's most celebrated attractions, hasn't been revealed yet."

What could that be? Detour past the Cliffs of Moher? Salthill diving boards from a distance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

We have yeah, hopefully this time it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Difference this time though is they bought a boat specifically for this route so it will go ahead for sure.

Handy for islanders too for city shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The one years ago was very expensive, as far as I can remember.
    But then again I remember 50p being loads of money as a studenty-type :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Difference this time though is they bought a boat specifically for this route so it will go ahead for sure.

Handy for islanders too for city shopping

Can you explain?

Can the Rossaveel boat travel to Galway city instead? Your post seems to imply that some boats are suitable / not suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Is it possible to run a regularly scheduled ferry out of Galway docks?

Can boats get in & out at low tide?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭KevRossi

"But final details of this exciting route, including a surprise addition to the return leg of the journey which takes in one of Ireland's most celebrated attractions, hasn't been revealed yet."

What could that be? Detour past the Cliffs of Moher? Salthill diving boards from a distance?

An installation of Teresa Mannion shouting "Don't make unnecessary journeys"

Students drinking and throwing up at the Spanish Arch?

The Oil Depot at the New Docks?

Geuze wrote: »
    Can you explain?

Can the Rossaveel boat travel to Galway city instead? Your post seems to imply that some boats are suitable / not suitable?

He means they bought this boat to use on the Galway City - Islands route. Their press release states this.

At no point is anything mentioned regarding suitability of different boats on different routes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭bennyineire

DaCor wrote: »
    He means they bought this boat to use on the Galway City - Islands route. Their press release states this.

At no point is anything mentioned regarding suitability of different boats on different routes

Yep that's what I meant, thanks. Not sure how my post meant anything else :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I'm not going to get excited about it until they announce a timetable, fares and Galway city berthing location.

There have been no ferries from Galway Docks to the Aran Islands for a very long time now

Storm 10 wrote: »
    There have been no ferries from Galway Docks to the Aran Islands for a very long time now

Late 80s I think! Seems like yesterday! :D

Edit, that was Naomh Éanna. I feel like there was one after that, but the 90s were a blur!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭yer man!

inisboffin wrote: »
    Late 80s I think! Seems like yesterday! :D

I don't think it was that long. Weren't a company offering it about 10 years ago? They sold the ferries off during the downturn, they were then picked up in the docks by a cargo vessel and said vessel dropped them into the water from about 20 - 30 meters in the air when the straps snapped. Or am I imagining things again....

Was that the fast ferry across the bay to Clare?

yer man! wrote: »

I don't think it was that long. Weren't a company offering it about 10 years ago? They sold the ferries off during the downturn, they were then picked up in the docks by a cargo vessel and said vessel dropped them into the water from about 20 - 30 meters in the air when the straps snapped. Or am I imagining things again....

Do you mean the freight boat that runs a few times a week? If there was another passenger ferry I missed it for sure but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭stopthevoting

There was still a passenger ferry in the early 90s anyway

It was aran direct ferries, they had two boats. I was convinced they went from the docks. I remember picking up a leaflet in the Radisson hotel after it opened and thinking that looks very convenient.

The boat that dropped into the water was the Clann Na nOilean ferry.

Was on RTE news at the time: https://www.rte.ie/news/galleries/2011/0408/299672-weekinpictures/

MQlkec6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭fran38

I travelled to Innis Mor from the docks circa 2006/2008. Not being from Galway I assumed it was still a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭stopthevoting

This is on https://www.galwaytourism.ie/the-aran-islands/

"The travel time to Inis Mór from Galway City Docks is 90 minutes. From Rossaveal it is 40 minutes, and from Doolin it is 20 minutes. Alternatively it is just 10 minutes by air from the Aer Arran Airstrip just east of Rossaveal."
    and would seem to suggest that there has been a service from Galway City fairly recently.

Some history here from when this was discussed last year;
    https://afloat.ie/port-news/ferry-news/item/42930-galway-city-s-old-aran-ferry-service-to-be-restored

"The last State run operated Galway-Aran ferry service ended in the summer of 1988 when Córas Iompair Éireann (CIÉ) used the custom Dublin-built Naomh Éanna completed at the Liffey Dockyard in 1958 to provide the joint passenger and freight service."

"Another custom built ferry Oileáin Árann built in 1992 but privately operated by Doolin based O'Brien Shipping served the direct city-islands route. Notably, this was the final ship to provide this link until sold to Samskip an Icelandic based company. " - looks like it operated the route 2005/2006.

This is on https://www.galwaytourism.ie/the-aran-islands/

"The travel time to Inis Mór from Galway City Docks is 90 minutes. From Rossaveal it is 40 minutes, and from Doolin it is 20 minutes. Alternatively it is just 10 minutes by air from the Aer Arran Airstrip just east of Rossaveal."
    and would seem to suggest that there has been a service from Galway City fairly recently.

There has been no passenger service to Aran for years the only service is freight and cars , the new boat can do Aran in less than an hour.

There has been no passenger service to Aran for years the only service is freight and cars , the new boat can do Aran in less than an hour.

The new boat "will be one of five vessels carrying passengers on this journey".

Also - "This Galway-Inis Mór service will be a significant addition to the existing routes with passengers able to listen to an audio guide during the 90 minute trip."

Was that the fast ferry across the bay to Clare?

The fast ferry across the Bay was an inflatable with a cabin that held ten passengers it went to Ballyvoughan did not last a season too weather dependent

Loads of pictures of the ferry fall and being loaded to go away on this website hundreds of pictures of ships in Galway. Lots of pictures of Galway harbour in the past and old ferries

https://galwayships.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=11

Loads of pictures of the ferry fall and being loaded to go away on this website hundreds of pictures of ships in Galway. Lots of pictures of Galway harbour in the past and old ferries

https://galwayships.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=11

I remember standing near Hynes car park at the time and watching them lift it up and being very impressed that the straps could hold the weight of a whole ferry, and then...

Very eventful day altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Psychlops

timmyntc wrote: »
    Is it possible to run a regularly scheduled ferry out of Galway docks?

Can boats get in & out at low tide?

Not the docks, if anything I expect it to berth at the layby beside Galway RNLI Lifeboat, a strategic position to go from Galway at high & low tides as it is outside the docks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Ficheall wrote:
    Nice I always try to bring visitors to the Aran Islands, but the trip to Rossaveal/Doolin is offputting for some. Plus the boat in and out from the city should be a nice addition to the trip.

Was on the bus to Rossaveal once. Packed bus. Luggage a mile high blocking any views. Sweltering. It was a pain in the asre.

Advertisement